Looking for audiophile smartphone or DAP
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zayl

New Head-Fier
Hello world !
I'm looking to pair my future purchase of a 1MORE H1707 with a compact audiophile smartphone or a DAP.

The smartphone has to be compact, I have small hands and want to be able to manipulate it with only one hand, with a good screen to body ratio and slim.
I haven't find any smartphones with these attributes, maybe the Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ2 Compact but it wasn't even mentionned on this topic : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-smartphone-for-audiophile-part-ii-updated-mar-2018.853115/

I was very interested by the LG G6 or better, LG V30 but these phones are nothing but compact.

If there is no really good music smartphones responding to my criterias, would there be a compact and slim DAP with very good audio, I don't care about a good screen it's just to listen to music ?

My budget is $350-$500.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 13
For smartphones you don't have much choices. The only only one I can think of is the Onkyo Granbeat, but its over your budget and not a very good smartphone.

For daps you have lots of choices. Hibi R3, Shanling MO, FiiO X5 3gen, Caiyn N5 etc etc. Lot's of choices.

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 13
For smartphones you don't have much choices. The only only one I can think of is the Onkyo Granbeat, but its over your budget and not a very good smartphone.

For daps you have lots of choices. Hibi R3, Shanling MO, FiiO X5 3gen, Caiyn N5 etc etc. Lot's of choices.

Thanks, and what about the Sony NWZX300S, iBasso DX90 ?

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Did you ever consider instead buying a Chord Mojo, and connecting your current smartphone to that? I think this would produce better sound quality than any DAP at any price.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Did you ever consider instead buying a Chord Mojo, and connecting your current smartphone to that? I think this would produce better sound quality than any DAP at any price.

I want to listen music in public transportations, so I'll have to connect my Honor 7 to it and put it in another pocket, it takes too much space doesn't it?

Have you fondled an LG G7?

The LG G7 is way over of my price point.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 13
I want to listen music in public transportations, so I'll have to connect my Honor 7 to it and put it in another pocket, it takes too much space doesn't it?

The LG G7 is way over of my price point.

I bought my LG G7 for $530 two weeks ago, upgrading from my old HTC one m8 (it is still alive but the upgrade was necessary after 4 years). The LG G7 sound is really something else. You should give it a try :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Chord mojo with your current phone is the correct answer.

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 13
If you're willing to try a DAC with your phone, the Dragonfly Red is very competent, very compact, and $200.
I've used it with my qJAYS, RHA T20i, PM-3, HD 650, and DT 1990, if you're worried about its compatibility with different impedances.

Only drawbacks might be large volume steps and lowering your phone's battery life. Using USB Audio Player Pro solves the first problem (though not with Spotify, unfortunately). The only phone I've had a battery problem with is the Galaxy S9, but its battery always stinks.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Using a portable DAC with your phone may be a better solution than buying a phone purely based on the quality of the DAC.
Agreed. It allows you to get whichever phone you want without having limit yourself to one with good audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back