Looking for and "audiophile" USB cable
Mar 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #61 of 79
merlin, while all of this is good and fine, a "better" cable won't do anything, because it isn't really "better", it just costs more
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
merlin, while all of this is good and fine, a "better" cable won't do anything, because it isn't really "better", it just costs more
wink.gif

Agreed, but since it was brought up a couple of times, I mainly wanted to point out that data transfer for USB audio is typically not the same as sending data to a HDD or printer, there is no error correction. The exception I believe is the EMU 0404 which uses custom drivers and firmware to do bulk mode transfers
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MerlinWerks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, but since it was brought up a couple of times, I mainly wanted to point out that data transfer for USB audio is typically not the same as sending data to a HDD or printer, there is no error correction. The exception I believe is the EMU 0404 which uses custom drivers and firmware to do bulk mode transfers
biggrin.gif

so the details are implementation specific, based on that, meaning there isn't a single exception, nor is there a single rule.

not to mention, stating facts like this is dangerous in threads like this, because people will then start claiming "my $500 cable improves this transfer" when in reality, its just improving the pocket size of someone cold enough to mark something up ~$499

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the details are implementation specific, based on that, meaning there isn't a single exception, nor is there a single rule.

Sorry, as I read it a few people were under the impression that transferring USB audio data is the same as transferring data to a usb HDD and as best as I can tell 99% of the time it is not.

Quote:

not to mention, stating facts like this is dangerous in threads like this, because people will then start claiming "my $500 cable improves this transfer" when in reality, its just improving the pocket size of someone cold enough to mark something up ~$499

That is going to happen anyway and having a few extra facts may be our best defense against that $499 markup
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MerlinWerks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is going to happen anyway and having a few extra facts may be our best defense against that $499 markup
wink.gif

Dear MerlinWerks,

We at Unnecessary Innovations resent your implication that the Galactically Superior & Sublime USB Linkage Cable we sell for a pittance over $5,000 (per inch) is not grounded in science and fact. We'll have you know that many tests were conducted with triply blinded rabbits and two toed sloths to guarantee the highest level of data transfer and musical performance. Our careful calibration of the elegantly stranded virgin elephant hair/extruded platinum weave ensures sheer perfection in the transfer of glorious glorious sound from your computer to your DAC device. The addition of vapor plated timonium connectors, a first in the audiophile world, sets a new standard for unnecessariness while eliminating all past, present and future distortion everywhere and for all time, amen.

Please refrain in future from hinting that perhaps we are naked charlatans intent on separating suckers from their last dollar, for nothing could be further from the truth. We are, in fact, music lovers first, pure of heart and mind, and our products are designed solely for the furtherance of audiophile goals, namely, to plunge soul first into the music.

Anything less would be uncivilized.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #66 of 79

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/28679.html

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, but still want something with great quality.

I'll sell you a Belkin for £450,000.It's computer data protocol, there is no difference between a £1.50 USB cable and a £500. If you want to throw money away, give it to me and I'll buy a Oppo 83 BD player. At least it'll go to good use.If you want to buy Audiophile USB, why not Audiophile SATA cables? And PATA? You'll also need "Audiophile" RJ45 cables $500 for 1M.http://media.audiojunkies.com/denon-...able-wire-.jpg Quote:

It is a digital signal. As long as it (the data) is getting there it does not matter AT ALL.

It is digital but it's different to digital audio streams such as PCM over coaxial or optical. The data in USB (or indeed firewire, PATA, SATA) has error correction. PCM stream does not. I've offered anyone who can pick out the "Audiophile" USB cable over a £1.50 one my 50" Pioneer LX-5090. I've had no PM's requesting for my tele :-D

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #69 of 79
The only time a "high end" USB cable might make a difference is if you try to exceed 5 meters. If you need a one meter cable, you are just throwing money away.Better to get a cheap cable from Monoprice and can of gold spray paint....maybe a Bedazzler or some glitter, and pretend you spent a crap load of money.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #70 of 79
USB is digital, the quality of the cable does not matter unless its so bad it registers 0s as 1s instead. Even if the quality isn't great theres no way the computer will have difficulty distinguishing between the two simple signals. Its the actually analog cable from your device to your headphones that you should be more worried about

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 79
As others have said and I'll say, get a good well made USB cable and you should be fine.  Its important to remember the cable is carrying voltage swings not 1's and 0's.  The better its construction the better and clearer the signal to your equipment.  There's a limit to how much improvement you can get so spending an outrageous amount on one is a waste. I use the monster advanced USB cable which can be found for under $20.00 now.  Better than standard cable, but nothing off the wall either.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #73 of 79

"Not sure if serious or terrible troll"

Serious and with more actual listening experience than most "1s and 0s" who refer to a textbook rather than their ears when debating digital cables.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #74 of 79

Quote:

"Not sure if serious or terrible troll"

Serious and with more actual listening experience than most "1s and 0s" who refer to a textbook rather than their ears when debating digital cables.

What does this even mean? If you know how a digital cable works, there is no need to use your ears. As it will either work, or you'll get artifacts in your music. You certainly won't get tight bass and light, airy highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back