Looking for and "audiophile" USB cable
Mar 8, 2009 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys (and girls!), I am thinking of getting myself a nice good USB cable, even one that cost up to 300$ if needed.
I want something "Audiophile" quality.
Please don't start and make this threat a laugh on cables and so on.

Can you please give me some good products? and their sites ?

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 79
It is a digital signal. As long as it is a decent usb cable it will sound like any other. You are sending data. As in 1s and 0s.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 79
But it does not matter haha. Order one from newegg.com or better yet go to a local shop. Bottom of the line is... it does not matter.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 79
Ok I read the first part. It makes no sense.

It is a digital signal. As long as it (the data) is getting there it does not matter AT ALL.

Just get a well shielded "standard" USB cable.

It says it in the link you posted. As long as it is well shielded it will be fine.

I am not saying that you cannot buy the "way overpriced cable made out of 100% pure snake oil" if your really want to.

Keep in mind that I am quite a skeptic when it comes to cables, and especially digital ones. So if you really do think that cables make that much of a difference than you should stop listening to me 100% right now.

Anyway I hope your system works out well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 79
If it is not too much money then it will be totally worth it for your peace of mind. Just do not spend too much on it. "Too much" is obviously up to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 79
no reason to buy a multi-hundred $ usb cable unless if you have no other way of spending your money

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, but still want something with great quality.

I'll sell you a Belkin for £450,000.

It's computer data protocol, there is no difference between a £1.50 USB cable and a £500. If you want to throw money away, give it to me and I'll buy a Oppo 83 BD player. At least it'll go to good use.

If you want to buy Audiophile USB, why not Audiophile SATA cables? And PATA? You'll also need "Audiophile" RJ45 cables $500 for 1M.

http://media.audiojunkies.com/denon-...able-wire-.jpg

Quote:

It is a digital signal. As long as it (the data) is getting there it does not matter AT ALL.

It is digital but it's different to digital audio streams such as PCM over coaxial or optical. The data in USB (or indeed firewire, PATA, SATA) has error correction. PCM stream does not. I've offered anyone who can pick out the "Audiophile" USB cable over a £1.50 one my 50" Pioneer LX-5090. I've had no PM's requesting for my tele :-D

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 79
In some cases "audiophile" digital cables perform far worse than ordinary kinds. That's the case with Toslink cables made from multimode (glass) fiber (MMF) instead of plastic optical fiber (POF). The optics in Toslink ports are designed for the sloppier tolerances of POF, not the precise collimation of MMF, and the MMF ends up having horrendous signal loss.

Barnum lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back