Looking for ANC in ear earphones with cable (3,5mm jack)
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 24
For wireless, I don’t know if you use iPhone or Android, but the AirPods Pro are actually pretty good (that’s what I use). Other wise I’d look at the Sony WF-1000mx3 it’s basically the in ear wireless version of their over ear.
the AirPods Pro would probably have better resale when the battery does degrade or there are more wired ANC options you want to move to in the future.
I have an android (Oneplus), that's why I wanted to go for the Oneplus Buds Pro. The problem is that all commercial earbuds have strong bass and sparkling highs while I love mids 😁 I saw that yesterday the Sony were on sale for $140! But they are from 2019 and I don't know how ANC compare to the new Oneplus Pro.

My girlfriend has the AirPods Pro. They definitely not bad at all but the sound more muffled and "close" compared to my old Audeo Phonak

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 24
first of all, ANC is good for cancelling out certain sounds like the humming of a fridge or the engine sound of a jet. It’s not really great yet for completely removing voices.
If you don’t sleep on the side, I’d get something super isolating like etymotic.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 24
but anyway, use IEM for noise isolation. I don't think it's healthy to use ANC all the time. Airplane or trains - probably okay.

I recently got Shure Aonic 4 and I'm pretty happy with them. Yellow foam tips aren't as strong as dark foam but still very good isolation and clear, enjoyable sound. Aonic 3 is also good but it has 1 driver. Don't get Aonic 5 because apparently it's somehow worse than Aonic 3 o_O

I am against the recommendation of Etymotic - very 2D sound, no soundstage to speak of and the christmas tree tip is the same as putting an alien hugger into your ears... not very funand could easily damage ear cannals if done wrong.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 24
but anyway, use IEM for noise isolation. I don't think it's healthy to use ANC all the time. Airplane or trains - probably okay.

I recently got Shure Aonic 4 and I'm pretty happy with them. Yellow foam tips aren't as strong as dark foam but still very good isolation and clear, enjoyable sound. Aonic 3 is also good but it has 1 driver. Don't get Aonic 5 because apparently it's somehow worse than Aonic 3 o_O

I am against the recommendation of Etymotic - very 2D sound, no soundstage to speak of and the christmas tree tip is the same as putting an alien hugger into your ears... not very funand could easily damage ear cannals if done wrong.
There are a few very debatable answers here.
A) if done wrong, can hurt your ears - Almost no ear canal will be so small that these tips will be able to hurt your ear drum. The only danger is yanking them out without breaking the seal (which by the way applies to mostly any thing that seals your ears).

B) Soundstage is a difficult concept. An IEM is an IEM so it will mostly sit between your two ears so by definition the soundstage is small.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 24
There are a few very debatable answers here.
A) if done wrong, can hurt your ears - Almost no ear canal will be so small that these tips will be able to hurt your ear drum. The only danger is yanking them out without breaking the seal (which by the way applies to mostly any thing that seals your ears).

B) Soundstage is a difficult concept. An IEM is an IEM so it will mostly sit between your two ears so by definition the soundstage is small.
sure, and you all forget to mention this when recommending etymotic. What do I know?

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 24
There are quite a few IEMs that are really good at noise isolation without using ANC. The key is getting them fit properly I would guess. They basically work like ear protectors. And like someone else said ANC doesn't always work that great with voices. My QC35's are dead silent most of the time but I can someone talk if they are near me. It might be something built into the algorithm they use to make it work. It will quiet it down quite a bit though. Another thing, even when you using hearing protectors sometimes you can still hear speech simply based on the vibrations. The only way to counter that would be some sort of pink noise I think.

And ya, wired active IEM's are pretty hard to find. I have never seen any. I am sure someone makes them but I haven't seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back