Looking for analytical headphones under 150€
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mariogv

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I wanted to ask for advice on a pair of headphones that meets the following criteria:
  • Under 150€. Around 100€ would be ideal though.
  • Flat frequency response, analytical sound, similar to Phonak Audeo PFE 112 with grey filters, loved those IEMs.
  • Fast, tight bass which extends pretty low and doesn't bleed into the other regions of the spectrum.
  • Good soundstage/instrument separation.
  • The more detail and texture to the sound, the better. Especially with guitar distortion and cymbals.
  • Dynamic sound, not dull/plain like entry level sennheisers.
  • Music I will listen to with these: extreme metal (black, death...), acoustic, ambient, classical...
  • Will be used without an amp most of the time.
  • Not too horrible looking if possible. Looks are a plus but not the priority.
So, does something come to mind? Any input is appreciated. Hope someone can help me since my own research wasn't very fruitful...

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Sounds like the Audio Technica M line could fit the bill. They're studio monitor headphones so they're good for analytical purposes

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 13
Possibly the Dunu Dn1000. These are very analytical and extend really well top to bottom. they are very bright tho, but still tight low bass. Huge soundstage.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Sounds like the Audio Technica M line could fit the bill. They're studio monitor headphones so they're good for analytical purposes
Any specific model which fits best?

Also, another option I've seen recommended a lot is AKG K240 MKII. Which of those would be better driven without an amp?

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 13
Possibly the Dunu Dn1000. These are very analytical and extend really well top to bottom. they are very bright tho, but still tight low bass. Huge soundstage.
I've read ljokerl's review on those and they definetely sound interesting, but I'm looking for a pair of full-sized headphones at the moment. Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Shure SRH840 should fit the bill nicely :D
Thank you for your input Oscar. Could I posibly ask you to elaborate a bit further on why you think the SRH840 fits my needs?

By the why I've (coincidentally) noticed that you've been pretty active in "ultimate headphones for metal" thread. We seem to be into similar music. So maybe I should give you some added credibility.

You know, leaving aside technical descriptions and such...

I remember a summer evening some years ago, when I was 17. There was this beautiful sunset, and I was feeling kind of emotional... like I am now (well, only a little). I was sitting there, beside the sea, alone. Breathing the salty air, mezmerized by the movement of the waves.

Then I plugged my Phonak Audeos to my iPod and played my favourite Alcest album (shoegazing/black metal with a half-positive tone). Those earphones were able to portray the music in such a beautiful manner that it brought tears to my eyes and something opened up inside me. Of course it was mainly because of the music, but the earphones enhanced the way I connected with it to a whole new level. The distorted guitars... with the insane level of detail made me think of the image of a prism with a thousand sides, being pierced by the sun rays which refracted in endless directions. And then Neige's singing, totally tearing me apart and warming up my soul simultaneously.

That was the last day I spent with my Phonak Audeo PFE 112. Not sure what happened with them but the next day, I could not find them, and never saw them again.

I really liked them, and would buy another pair if they still were available, but they aren't.

Now I'm just looking for something similar that can make me experience at least something remotely close with this sort of music. Something I can use at work, which is where I spend most of my time these days.

And I know for most of you guys my budget may seem insignificant, and you might think it's not worth, that there's nothing exciting about entry level headphones so why even bother answering. But hey, that's all I can spend at this point of my life.

I'm still young... and still have not heard a single pair of headphones over 250€ (Denon D2000 which were recently stolen from me and are also discontinued) so my journey through the audiophile world has just started and what for some might be a cheap pair of cans, can be a treasure to me. For me it means an effort to spend this amount of money on some headphones. And that's why I want to make the right choice.

Ok, enough of that.

I've been researching. What do you guys think about:
  • Utrasones around my budget
  • Sony V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT-1350
  • Other low impedance Beyerdynamics

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Thank you for your input Oscar. Could I posibly ask you to elaborate a bit further on why you think the SRH840 fits my needs?

By the why I've (coincidentally) noticed that you've been pretty active in "ultimate headphones for metal" thread. We seem to be into similar music. So maybe I should give you some added credibility.

You know, leaving aside technical descriptions and such...

I remember a summer evening some years ago, when I was 17. There was this beautiful sunset, and I was feeling kind of emotional... like I am now (well, only a little). I was sitting there, beside the sea, alone. Breathing the salty air, mezmerized by the movement of the waves.

Then I plugged my Phonak Audeos to my iPod and played my favourite Alcest album (shoegazing/black metal with a half-positive tone). Those earphones were able to portray the music in such a beautiful manner that it brought tears to my eyes and something opened up inside me. Of course it was mainly because of the music, but the earphones enhanced the way I connected with it to a whole new level. The distorted guitars... with the insane level of detail made me think of the image of a prism with a thousand sides, being pierced by the sun rays which refracted in endless directions. And then Neige's singing, totally tearing me apart and warming up my soul simultaneously.

That was the last day I spent with my Phonak Audeo PFE 112. Not sure what happened with them but the next day, I could not find them, and never saw them again.

I really liked them, and would buy another pair if they still were available, but they aren't.

Now I'm just looking for something similar that can make me experience at least something remotely close with this sort of music. Something I can use at work, which is where I spend most of my time these days.

And I know for most of you guys my budget may seem insignificant, and you might think it's not worth, that there's nothing exciting about entry level headphones so why even bother answering. But hey, that's all I can spend at this point of my life.

I'm still young... and still have not heard a single pair of headphones over 250€ (Denon D2000 which were recently stolen from me and are also discontinued) so my journey through the audiophile world has just started and what for some might be a cheap pair of cans, can be a treasure to me. For me it means an effort to spend this amount of money on some headphones. And that's why I want to make the right choice.

Ok, enough of that.

I've been researching. What do you guys think about:
  • Utrasones around my budget
  • Sony V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT-1350
  • Other low impedance Beyerdynamics

I'm only 24 :D more of a post-hardcore guy myself but with a lot of metalcore mixed in.

The SRH840 have a little added warmth to the sound but are still very clear and detailed with well controlled bass. Something like the DT770 from Beyerynamic are excellent but I find the bass to be a little on the slower side if not properly amped.

As you mentioned the sound not being dull, the SRH840 have the perfect balanced between being a flat studio monitor like headphone without being boring.

Ultrasone are a weird sounding headphone with their s-logic stuff, they are not bad but also not to everyones taste, I think the bass might be a little overwhelming on their lower models. Sony V6 would be great, somewhat similar to the SRH840.

DT1350 are also excellent with quite a balanced sound, but the on-ear fit might not suit everyone. Again the DT770 Pro are excellent but need proper amplification to sound their best, with a slightly v-shaped sound signature that is more fun than the studio sounding SRH840 / V6.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 13
+1 for SRH-840
Punchy yet controlled bass, neutralish mids and detailed but not extremely unforgiving treble.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Having owned the Phonaks and the Shure 840s and the Beyer 1350s, based on what you are looking for I think the Beyer 1350 might be the best match. Nice upper mids, lower treble detail to let the guitars shine without the Grado crunch, solid bass. Maybe Beyer T-51p , a bit less treble bite and smoother to my ears than the 1350s. Not sure about current price. Shures are overly warm and a bit fuzzy but not bad as a starter can.

Good luck.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Thank you so much for your answers! I've been a bit busy lately so please forgive me for taking a few days to reply. :)

+1 for SRH-840
Punchy yet controlled bass, neutralish mids and detailed but not extremely unforgiving treble.
Hmm thing is I'm kind of looking for unforgiving treble, haha. I don't really mind listening to poorly produced music with extremely detailed headphones to be honest. I'm a bit worried the Shures might be a tad warm for what I'm looking for. I already have a pair of very nice warm IEMs (Yamaha EPH-100) for electronic and hip hop so I'm looking something more or less opposite to complement them.

I do have interest for AKGs, but those in particular are 120 ohm so probably not easy enough to drive, right? Plus they are open and that means I would not be able to use it at the office.

What about the k550 and the k545 though? They are closed, not too high impedance, and the k550 in particular is said to have one of the best soundstages for a closed can, albeit I also read the upper treble sounds a bit artificial. The k545 seem more bassy but much more portable, I wonder how much the sound signature varies with these two...

Having owned the Phonaks and the Shure 840s and the Beyer 1350s, based on what you are looking for I think the Beyer 1350 might be the best match. Nice upper mids, lower treble detail to let the guitars shine without the Grado crunch, solid bass. Maybe Beyer T-51p , a bit less treble bite and smoother to my ears than the 1350s. Not sure about current price. Shures are overly warm and a bit fuzzy but not bad as a starter can.

Good luck.
Thanks! Indeed my interest in the Beyers is growing more and more every day. I'd say right now they are at the top of my list just before the Shures. Everything I read about them sounds almost exactly like what I'm looking for. Only downsides seem to be a somewhat narrow soundstage and -potentially- comfort. I think I'd take the dt-1350 before the T-51p since I'm looking for something colder/brighter sounding.

And there's yet a few more headphones that have caught my attention. What do you guys think about the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 or the Sennheiser Momentum over-ear? If someone could compare any of these two with the dt1350 or the SRH-840 I'd appreciate it very much. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back