Looking for an improvement over PX100s
Aug 18, 2006 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Andrew Jones

100+ Head-Fier
I use a Samsung YP-Z5 to directly drive a pair of Sennheiser PX100s, a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-231s and some Sony MDR-EX71SLs. The music is all ripped as VBR MP3 using EAC / LAME. Most of my listening is to rock, with some classical, blues and jazz.

I greatly prefer the sound and comfort of the PX100s over the 231s (but they are useful for shutting out the TV if listening in the same room as the rest of the family). I don't use the Sony's much as I don't find them very comfortable and the sound isn't that great. However, even the PX100s have problems with some music. An example would be Snow by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stadium Arcadium) where occasionally the high pitched guitar sound is over-layed by a crackling noise. The same sound is apparent with the other headphones. Actually, the same "problem" can be heard on the headphones when playing the original CD through an Arcam Alpha 7 CD player / amp. Playing the YP-Z5 through the Arcam amp and Mission speakers shows that the sound isn't intrinsic to the music, but is being created by the headphones.

Now to the bit where I'm hoping for some help! I would like to upgrade the headphones to some that are good enough not to have the (to me) intrusive harshness that I currently get with the odd track. Is it likely that Sennheiser 485s would be sufficient improvement? Are there any other recommendations for headphones that could still be driven directly by the YP-Z5 and which would be a significant step-up from the PX100s? My problem is really that in most reviews the PX100s are highly rated, but it isn't usually clear whether that's because they "sound so good" or just because they "sound so good for the price". This makes it difficult to work out how much better the listening gets with a different set of headphones and I would prefer not to go to the expense of a top of the range set of 'phones and an amp, if I can get something good enough for less than that.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't overly love the HD485, whereas I love the PX100. The HD485 has more clarity, more extension, some better refinement here and there... but it lacks a bit the (newer revision) PX100's balance.

Myself, I would see the eH350 more as a proper "upgrade" from the PX100. Probably, since I still haven't had the luck to see it in shops around
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 9
I used to own the predecessor to the EH 350's, the HD 497's, and I think I can safely say that it won't be a big upgrade. Unless the 350's have improved a lot upon the 497's, the sound will just be somewhat more balanced, with more emphasis on the highs than the PX100's. However, this could also mean that they sound harsher to your ears, depending on the frequency that annoy's you. If it's the typical sibliance (ssh-sounds), then I don't think you'll see much improvement with the 350's. Consider also that the bigger 350's aren't as comfortable or portable.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 9
circa $100: MS-1, K240S (though an amp would really help here), HD555 (if you shop around a bit), in that order of preference.

That crackle problem sounds odd, more like an amplification issue than a headphones issue. I don't know how the headphone outs on Arcam are, though. Is it a clearly better signal than your Samsung? Strange.

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega

That crackle problem sounds odd, more like an amplification issue than a headphones issue. I don't know how the headphone outs on Arcam are, though. Is it a clearly better signal than your Samsung? Strange.

The crackle is pretty much the same for both Arcam and Samsung when using the PX100s, but not present at all when the music is played through the Mission speakers (using either the CD player or the Samsung as the source for the Arcam amp). That's why I assumed it was a problem of the head-phones. It only appears on a few pieces of music, particularly some types of guitar sound. I'm struggling for the right words to describe the type of sound, but it's a fairly loud, harsh, thrashy sound used a lot in heavy rock (such as the RHCP track mentioned earlier). The PX100s just don't seem able to properly resolve the sound at the extreme - this is on a fairly middling volume setting, the problem isn't through cranking up the volume too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 9
It really could be that the missions, and some other headphones you are trying aren't resolving as much information as the PX100's. I have a whole stash of different headphones and on one recording, I can always hear distortion on it through headphones (all pairs, amped or not), but on my pretty decent HT speaker system, the distortion is hard to notice.

They only real way to tell is to try much better headphones on it in comparison.

I'd recommend going up to HD555 as a noticeable upgrade, or even the HD595 if you like the Senn sound but want something that resolves more. The HD580 is great too but it really needs an amp.

I think the PX100's are pretty good in its price range, but there are a lot better to be had, even in Senn's own line.

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 9
I would recommend sony v6/7506/7509 line. If you need portability - 7505 (worse soundwise though). I also found px-100 to be too bright with not controlled and loosy bass. Those cans are dark and at the same time detailed. Very easy to drive.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Ihave the eh350 and px100. It's not really an upgrade. To me they have totally different sounds. The eh350 is more balanced, and has more clarity. They sound a little boring to me, no "punch" (but good for classical), the px100 sounds more lively. Then again I am a Grado fanboy.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back