Looking for an IEM with sound similar to Grado SR225
Aug 8, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way too much mids. Bass is ok, but the highs are pretty much non-existent.

Exactly how I would describe the D-jays.
Superfi 5pro is better, but the mids are veiled to an extreme degree. Bass is overstated also.

I would go with a ety er4p with eq on the bass, or a Shure se310 with eq on the highs / upper mids.

Just to clarify I have not heard the 225's. Going from what I have read of their sound signature...

Ply

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 24
I'm gonna put my vote in for the Atrio's

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 24
So in the under-$200 price range, I won't come too close to my desired sound?

Also, a little off-topic, but - Are Super.fi 5 pros as veiled and muddy as the d-Jays?

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #21 of 24
Shure E4s can be found for under $200, you just have to look around. eBay has plenty for ~$180.

They're as close as I've found to SR225s in an IEM. Foam tips help getting deeper bass out of them and when amped (particularly from a bright amp like the Hornet or Tomahawk) they really shine.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in the under-$200 price range, I won't come too close to my desired sound?

Also, a little off-topic, but - Are Super.fi 5 pros as veiled and muddy as the d-Jays?

Have you changed the filters? That is usually the problem when the highs gets lost. Otherwise our q-JAYS (179USD pretax)might fit your desired sound better since they have better highs. Also remember that your ear canal is very importent to what sound the IEM will give you. The size of it and the lenght will give you different sound charastics. That's why two persons can think so different on the same IEM.. amongst other things of course
wink.gif

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 24
I've only had my d-Jays for about 5 days. Do I really need to change filters?
Also, when are the q-Jays coming out?

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 24
The only IEMs I have heard that even begin to sound like Grados are the Etymotic ER4Bs.

Any IEM from Shure will be rather dark and nothing like a Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back