Looking for an IEM for classical music max. 500 Euros. Suggestions?
Apr 10, 2023 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Belaraza

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
This is my first post, so I hope everything works out.
Anyways, as the title states Im looking for an IEM mainly for classical music. Ive been looking at the Moondrop Variations as they seem like an overall good choice for the budget and at the IE600 with a discount. Im not even sure if buying IEMs for specific music is that sensible, but for classical music it would maybe make sense I guess. Anyways Im happy about any recommendations and overall help.
Cheers

Apr 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Hey guys,
Anyways, as the title states Im looking for an IEM mainly for classical music. Ive been looking at the Moondrop Variations as they seem like an overall good choice for the budget and at the IE600 with a discount. Im not even sure if buying IEMs for specific music is that sensible, but for classical music it would maybe make sense I guess. Anyways Im happy about any recommendations and overall help.
Cheers

For classical, larger planars should do the trick for even many medium-sized classical ensemble recordings. So if you don’t care about the look, you can get these:

https://www.amazon.de/Dioko-Salnotes-Headphones-Detachable-Audiophile/dp/B0B571FWFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

...or if you do care about the look:

https://www.amazon.de/LINSOUL-Timel...movable-metallic/dp/B09C8GN9PQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

Lastly, do get this case to protect the individual IEM housings and such:

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/penon-iem-case.html

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 12
For classical, larger planars should do the trick for even many medium-sized classical ensemble recordings. So if you don’t care about the look, you can get these:

https://www.amazon.de/Dioko-Salnotes-Headphones-Detachable-Audiophile/dp/B0B571FWFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

...or if you do care about the look:

https://www.amazon.de/LINSOUL-Timel...movable-metallic/dp/B09C8GN9PQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

Lastly, do get this case to protect the individual IEM housings and such:

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/penon-iem-case.html
First of all thank you for your answer. This might not be clear from my initial post but I'm looking for an IEM in the 400-500 euro range, not saying that your recommendations are bad just that I'm looking for smth else, I already own IEMs in the price range you recommended, do you have other recommendations now? Cheers

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the recommendation.

I thought that these were focused more on a subbassy sound? I will wait for the reviews and measurements I guess.

Anyways, as you recommend these headphones which will probably be the best in this price bracket again, Im guessing there are no IEMs which are suited better for classical music with dynamics, mids and treble while not needing a lot of bass.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 12
Hey guys,
Cheers

I would recommend the Tanchjim Oxygen for classical. Great mix of timbre, tonality and technicalities.

Moondrop Variations is very much more technical with better soundstage, imaging, micro-details and instrument separation, but it is quite boosted in the sub-bass, which may not be desirable for classical (perhaps unless u wanna EQ). Variations timbre is also less natural than the Oxygen, just my 2 cents.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 12
I would recommend the Tanchjim Oxygen for classical. Great mix of timbre, tonality and technicalities.

Moondrop Variations is very much more technical with better soundstage, imaging, micro-details and instrument separation, but it is quite boosted in the sub-bass, which may not be desirable for classical (perhaps unless u wanna EQ). Variations timbre is also less natural than the Oxygen, just my 2 cents.
I remember getting this recommendation when I wanted to buy my first pair of IEMs a few months ago.
Im not sure if they are still produced though and it was overall hard to find them anywhere to buy them. I will keep an eye out though, maybe I can find them.

Overall Ive got to say that Im very surprised by the recommendations I have got so far. Of course, in this hobby more expensive doesnt equal more good but its still surprising that Im getting recommendations half my budget or even lower.

To the variations: The subbass + midtug is also what worries me. I dont want to EQ to be completely honest so it might actually be very annoying in the end. Classical music is much more mid heavy than bass heavy and the variations turn that around having a more subbass focuse while tugging the mids. But then there are the awesome technicalities and so on and so forth.

Currently there are some IE600s on sale for 550 USD or best offer.
The IE600 is also very subbassy but is said to be very good for classical as well as having very great technicalities + treble. In this case I would probably still need to go the EQ way which I dont want. As you can see Im very torn.

Anyways, do you have another recommendation, or are the Oxygen really the best this price bracket has to offer when it comes to classical music.

Btw. I just noticed that classical music is very broad so I though I would give a few examples of my favourites here:

Mahler - Sinfonie No.5 Berliner Philharmoniker

Schumann - Waldszenen played by Wilhelm Kempf

Bartok - String Quartet No.3

Borodin - Piano Quintett in C minor

Rachmaninoff - Symphony No.2 in C# Minor

A lot of romanticism, yet I do not exactly favour either small or large orchestrations.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 12
I remember getting this recommendation when I wanted to buy my first pair of IEMs a few months ago.
Im not sure if they are still produced though and it was overall hard to find them anywhere to buy them. I will keep an eye out though, maybe I can find them.

Overall Ive got to say that Im very surprised by the recommendations I have got so far. Of course, in this hobby more expensive doesnt equal more good but its still surprising that Im getting recommendations half my budget or even lower.

To the variations: The subbass + midtug is also what worries me. I dont want to EQ to be completely honest so it might actually be very annoying in the end. Classical music is much more mid heavy than bass heavy and the variations turn that around having a more subbass focuse while tugging the mids. But then there are the awesome technicalities and so on and so forth.

Currently there are some IE600s on sale for 550 USD or best offer.
The IE600 is also very subbassy but is said to be very good for classical as well as having very great technicalities + treble. In this case I would probably still need to go the EQ way which I dont want. As you can see Im very torn.

Anyways, do you have another recommendation, or are the Oxygen really the best this price bracket has to offer when it comes to classical music.

Btw. I just noticed that classical music is very broad so I though I would give a few examples of my favourites here:

Mahler - Sinfonie No.5 Berliner Philharmoniker

Schumann - Waldszenen played by Wilhelm Kempf

Bartok - String Quartet No.3

Borodin - Piano Quintett in C minor

Rachmaninoff - Symphony No.2 in C# Minor

A lot of romanticism, yet I do not exactly favour either small or large orchestrations.

Hmm maybe you can read about the See Audio Yume 2 (not the previous versions but the latest version II). It is U-shaped, good technicalities and acceptable timbral accuracy. Think it goes around $100ish USD during sales.

I quite like it for Chopin pieces, though I don't listen to the heavier orchestrated Romantic stuff.

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Hey guys,
Cheers

Classical is a huge genre. Which type of classical music do you listen to? Bach’s partitas and sonata, chamber music, or large orchestra?

IMHO, IEMs for classical should have large soundstage and strong detail retrieval to get the most out of these great recordings. You should also look for something that pulls the upper midrange back a touch to avoid shoutiness.

My personal “safe” recommendation at this point is Orchestra Lite. Oddly enough, I also like to listen to large orchestral music and soundtracks with a gigabass IEM called 7Hz legato.

Some IEMs that I personally don’t like for classical:
  • S12: metallic timbre of planar drivers + flat soundstage
  • Blessing 2: flat soundstage. Other might strongly disagree but I find the sense of 3D staging of this IEM is lacking, making chamber music not fun.
If you can wait for a couple weeks, I can get back to you about the Dunu SA6 MkII. I have a hunch that it is going to be a killer IEM for classical recordings.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Classical is a huge genre. Which type of classical music do you listen to? Bach’s partitas and sonata, chamber music, or large orchestra?

IMHO, IEMs for classical should have large soundstage and strong detail retrieval to get the most out of these great recordings. You should also look for something that pulls the upper midrange back a touch to avoid shoutiness.

My personal “safe” recommendation at this point is Orchestra Lite. Oddly enough, I also like to listen to large orchestral music and soundtracks with a gigabass IEM called 7Hz legato.

Some IEMs that I personally don’t like for classical:
  • S12: metallic timbre of planar drivers + flat soundstage
  • Blessing 2: flat soundstage. Other might strongly disagree but I find the sense of 3D staging of this IEM is lacking, making chamber music not fun.
If you can wait for a couple weeks, I can get back to you about the Dunu SA6 MkII. I have a hunch that it is going to be a killer IEM for classical recordings.
Thanks for the answer!!

So first of all let me introduce you to my taste of classical music. I have mentioned a few pieces above, when reacting to another commentor in this thread. But maybe making it more broader would help as well so here you are:

I mainly listen to romanticism and modern classical music, still more romanticism than modern. When it comes to romanticism I like composers from the whole era, meaning early ones like Schubert and late ones like Mahler.

Here is a list: Schubert, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Rachmaninoff, Dvorak and a bit of Debussy

For modern I like Stravinsky, Ravel, Schostakovich, Bartok etc.

Overall I listen to both chamber and orchestral music, I espcecially love Mahlers works. I would want an IEM with a very wide soundstage for that reason.

Being an IOS user(I know, unfortunate, but Im not willing to spend money on a new phone atm) makes EQ difficult, I would want an IEM which has good tuning from the getgo.

I agree with your evaluation of the Blessing, I tried the Blessing 2s and felt the exact same problems you mentioned, which is why Im feeling rather averse looking at the coming blessing 3s.

How much are the Dunus going to be? As said in my post I would like to stay around 500 euros.

What do you think about the IE600? I saw a classified listing which looks very attractive there... I heard that they have very nice timbre, a great soundstage as well as lesser shouty mids.

Also the variations fit what you have described by the reviews I have read here. There were a few listing for around 400 Euros which would be GREAT. Maybe some will be listed again as the blessings come? In any case I would be interested in what you have to say to those 2. How is the soundstage looking at the Dunu Mk2?

Thanks for the help in any case!
Cheers

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 12
Being an IOS user(I know, unfortunate, but Im not willing to spend money on a new phone atm) makes EQ difficult, I would want an IEM which has good tuning from the getgo

Wonky tuning is not that common nowadays , at least based on the limited sample size (IEMs that I reviewed in the last couple months)

How much are the Dunus going to be? As said in my post I would like to stay around 500 euros.

I think it is USD$579.

Based on both graphs and impressions from some trusted fellow reviewers, I expect a wide and deep soundstage with excellent detail retrieval.

Too early to conclude any of course, my unit is coming from Hifigo at the moment. I will compare it with my U12T when it arrives and share some notes here.

What do you think about the IE600? I saw a classified listing which looks very attractive there... I heard that they have very nice timbre, a great soundstage as well as lesser shouty mids.

My impressions of IE600 is a bit different. I found it to be slightly shouty and have unremarkable soundstage. Not bad or offensive sounding in anyway, but for the price (new), I personally rather save more and get the Monarch MkII. I know, not that closed in price, but since IE600 (new) is already expensive, I rather go all the way and be done with it.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Wonky tuning is not that common nowadays , at least based on the limited sample size (IEMs that I reviewed in the last couple months)

I think it is USD$579.

Based on both graphs and impressions from some trusted fellow reviewers, I expect a wide and deep soundstage with excellent detail retrieval.

Too early to conclude any of course, my unit is coming from Hifigo at the moment. I will compare it with my U12T when it arrives and share some notes here.

My impressions of IE600 is a bit different. I found it to be slightly shouty and have unremarkable soundstage. Not bad or offensive sounding in anyway, but for the price (new), I personally rather save more and get the Monarch MkII. I know, not that closed in price, but since IE600 (new) is already expensive, I rather go all the way and be done with it.
Thanks a lot. I will look into the Dunus a bit, even though they kind of stretch my budget. I guess you have no experience with the Variations?

Thanks for the reply, Im looking forward to your review of the Dunu Sa6 MK II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back