Looking for an audiophiles opinion
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EvO1

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a little bit and decided to finally post! I hope I don't mess up too badly, also hope this is in the correct section (didn't know if it should go in here or computer audio)

Anyway on with the question... I'm looking for the best pair of headphones for ~$175 and a sound card or dac/amp for ~$100(if needed). I'm leaning towards the DT770 PRO (250ohm) and fiio e10.

Background info:
I will be using these for music and video games(if they are good with video games, I'm more concerned with music, if they are bad with video games then whatever)
I listen to bass heavy music like rap and reggae, so bass is important
I will be using these on computer only, so nothing has to be portable
My motherboard has realtek alc892 audio chipset (don't know if that's important)
Also note I've never had a pair of quality headphones and am fairly new with this stuff
I'm open to suggestions, as long as they are close to the price range (I have some leeway)
Last but not least, I also like to listen to music while laying down, so I was going to pick up a 10' M-F extension cable off monoprice, will it make a noticeable difference in quality and is there a difference in audio quality if I used a 28awg cable vs 22

Did I do alright on my homework?

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a little bit and decided to finally post! I hope I don't mess up too badly, also hope this is in the correct section (didn't know if it should go in here or computer audio)

Anyway on with the question... I'm looking for the best pair of headphones for ~$175 and a sound card or dac/amp for ~$100(if needed). I'm leaning towards the DT770 PRO (250ohm) and fiio e10.

Background info:
I will be using these for music and video games(if they are good with video games, I'm more concerned with music, if they are bad with video games then whatever)
I listen to bass heavy music like rap and reggae, so bass is important
I will be using these on computer only, so nothing has to be portable
My motherboard has realtek alc892 audio chipset (don't know if that's important)
Also note I've never had a pair of quality headphones and am fairly new with this stuff
I'm open to suggestions, as long as they are close to the price range (I have some leeway)
Last but not least, I also like to listen to music while laying down, so I was going to pick up a 10' M-F extension cable off monoprice, will it make a noticeable difference in quality and is there a difference in audio quality if I used a 28awg cable vs 22

Did I do alright on my homework?

Ya did pretty good kid!

I have the e10 and this is just my opinion but I think its trash, I use it at my work desk. I also owned the E07K and that thing is freaking awesome. I think you are in the right different with the DT770 Pro, not knowing your budget I'm going to recommend some cans.

DT880 250ohm
Vmoda M100
Sony MDR-1r
Audiotechnica AD900X

as for the 28awg vs 22, I highly doubt you'll hear a difference at all.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it. As for my budget, I don't consider myself an audiophile and don't really have those precise ears. That being said, I don't want to spend much more than 200 on the headphones, unless the difference is night and day because I probably won't notice a huge difference. What you recommended is a little high, aside from the DT880s, which are on sale for $240 at the moment, so I am definitely considering those now.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it. As for my budget, I don't consider myself an audiophile and don't really have those precise ears. That being said, I don't want to spend much more than 200 on the headphones, unless the difference is night and day because I probably won't notice a huge difference. What you recommended is a little high, aside from the DT880s, which are on sale for $240 at the moment, so I am definitely considering those now.

You should look around for a few days on the For Sale forum, there's always really great deals on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back