Looking for an amp to go with the new DT990, $100 or less?
Sep 8, 2006 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ap3rtis

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm coming really close to buying the NEW DT990 from B&H because of the nice price, and also because they sound like a good headphone for me.
It's been said that the DT990 has strengths in the highs and lows, but the mids are not as upfront on these phones. Are they any amps in <$100 range that would balance out the mids more, as well as power these cans (250 ohms)? Or, if you want, forget about the whole mids thing and just recommend a good amp
tongue.gif

Thanks,
Mike

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 14
Upfront mids? Not the Go-Vibe. Not that they're recessed, but they don't entirely... sparkle (if you can say it) like with others.

The LDM+ has a potential, likely synergy with this headphone. But perhaps even more interesting is the Xenos 0HA-REP, which is smooth and refined sounding and has a present midrange.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 14
thanks for the recommendations! A little more insight:
-Since these cans have alot of bass, I don't really want more...
I listen mainly to rock music, but enjoy pretty much everything.
Really just looking to balance the mids a bit more.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 14
i think you should get one of the following:

RSA Hornet
RSA SR-71
Xin Supermacro
Headamp AE-1

i have a DT880 250ohm version with the PA2v2. the PA2v2 doesn't drive my DT880 properly and now i'm going to upgrade it to a xin supermacro. if money's not an issue, go with a higher end portable amp. if it is, then get a <$100 amp as mentioned above and hold off till you saved up enough money for the higher end amps.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
thanks for the recommendations! A little more insight:
-Since these cans have alot of bass, I don't really want more...
I listen mainly to rock music, but enjoy pretty much everything.
Really just looking to balance the mids a bit more.

So, if the price range is still < $100 ...

The 0HA-REP and the LDM+ both suit your needs.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i think you should get one of the following:

RSA Hornet
RSA SR-71
Xin Supermacro
Headamp AE-1

i have a DT880 250ohm version with the PA2v2. the PA2v2 doesn't drive my DT880 properly and now i'm going to upgrade it to a xin supermacro. if money's not an issue, go with a higher end portable amp. if it is, then get a <$100 amp as mentioned above and hold off till you saved up enough money for the higher end amps.

With $300 or more I would buy something "stationary".

And don't underestimate the $100 amps. They're no PA2V2's ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 14
<100 for me lol. And I do want something small. The LDM+ looks nice and is a good price.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Anyway, keep in mind that the Xenos has more power on 250 ohms. Not that the LDM+ won't suffice & drive the DT990 without problems.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 14
I guess I'll be the one to make the obligatory suggestion that you stretch your budget j.u.s.t..a..l.i.t.t.l.e and think about a Portaphile.

Here's a question. I use a buffed-up V2^2 with my HD595 and of course it works great. I have no doubt it would have plenty of juice for a DT900 or anything else I might try (running it as I do from a 24V Elpac) but how would the little X3 fare? Can it be run off 18-24V too?

The base price on that model is $110 but you might end up needing the $30 upgrade for single buffers on the output. That would thoroughly wreck the budget, I suppose. Fine little amp, though.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto
I guess I'll be the one to make the obligatory suggestion that you stretch your budget j.u.s.t..a..l.i.t.t.l.e and think about a Portaphile.

Here's a question. I use a buffed-up V2^2 with my HD595 and of course it works great. I have no doubt it would have plenty of juice for a DT900 or anything else I might try (running it as I do from a 24V Elpac) but how would the little X3 fare? Can it be run off 18-24V too?

The base price on that model is $110 but you might end up needing the $30 upgrade for single buffers on the output. That would thoroughly wreck the budget, I suppose. Fine little amp, though.

I'm almost certain that the Xenos, or also the LDM+ would drive the HD595 as well or better than an unbuffered X^3 (which in turn would cost more).

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 14
3x for Xenos 0ha REP! Its discrete power supply with buffer drivers will provide ample power for the 250OHM cans! And its frequency curve is absolutely flat!!

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Well, I'm coming really close to buying the NEW DT990 from B&H because of the nice price, and also because they sound like a good headphone for me.
It's been said that the DT990 has strengths in the highs and lows, but the mids are not as upfront on these phones. Are they any amps in <$100 range that would balance out the mids more, as well as power these cans (250 ohms)? Or, if you want, forget about the whole mids thing and just recommend a good amp.

On a note for our OP and newer readers in general, I wouldn't expect any amp to balance out any frequency response of my headphones unless perhaps it was a tube amp capable of rolling. But even that is a somewhat limited affect, and I don't know of any tube amps in your price range.

Headphones need "systems", not individual components. As such, they should be balanced both in terms of quality as well as sonics. The DT990's are a TOTL, high-quality headphone deserving of the best associated components. Plugging them into a PA2V2 fed by an iPod (or whatever, as I don't know what your source is), I would not expect to get anywhere near the best sound out of them and your satisfaction with them may be suspect as a result.

For me, source is always key. Then amping. Extending your budget a little higher (Little Dot II, DIYFSE Millet, etc.) would be my minimum recommendation. But then tuberolling is even more expensive, so...

All I am saying is that if you really can't afford the entire system, I wouldn't even go there. Just my .02, TIFWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back