Looking for an Amp/Dac Combo for the dt880
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ExtremeHotDog

New Head-Fier
Hey!
I just bought the Beyerdynamic dt880, the 250ohm version. I have noticed that amping is helpful in this headphone, but I also need a Dac. I dont need it to be extremely portable, the JDS Labs Objective 2 size is ok. I have been looking at the Fiio e17, the Nuforce Icon, Hi-Fi Man EF2A, Audioengine D1, HRT Headstreamer, etc...
Thank You!

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 11
A budget would be nice.

You can always look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I just bought the Beyerdynamic dt880, the 250ohm version. I have noticed that amping is helpful in this headphone, but I also need a Dac. I dont need it to be extremely portable, the JDS Labs Objective 2 size is ok. I have been looking at the Fiio e17, the Nuforce Icon, Hi-Fi Man EF2A, Audioengine D1, HRT Headstreamer, etc...

The Fiio E17 seems the most portable out of your list.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I am more concerned about the sound quality than the portability, anything i can carry around the house easily is ok.

You know what is you Source? 

I really enjoyed my Dt 880 250 out of my Hifiman Hm 601 and my cMoy BB, a warm DAP and a warm Amp was really nice, but at the same time I enjoyed even MORE when I listened to it from my oDac and my Maxtrix M-Stage [with a LME 49990 opamp] the LME is a musical yet LEAN op Amp and it matched the already Lean Dt 880 amazingly well ;O

So do you want a leaner or a warmer sound, for my with Tubes warmth added to the lower mids [n Bass] and made the Highs a little mellower, where as a Solid State did amazing things to the Upper Mids. Female Volcals where quite nice on the 880 from the M Stage 

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
You know what is you Source? 

I really enjoyed my Dt 880 250 out of my Hifiman Hm 601 and my cMoy BB, a warm DAP and a warm Amp was really nice, but at the same time I enjoyed even MORE when I listened to it from my oDac and my Maxtrix M-Stage [with a LME 49990 opamp] the LME is a musical yet LEAN op Amp and it matched the already Lean Dt 880 amazingly well ;O

So do you want a leaner or a warmer sound, for my with Tubes warmth added to the lower mids [n Bass] and made the Highs a little mellower, where as a Solid State did amazing things to the Upper Mids. Female Volcals where quite nice on the 880 from the M Stage 

Well, I usually listen to music in my cell phone (xperia z) and my PCs (y410p and a desktop with Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD). I am not sure if i like warm or a colder sound, because for electronic music I prefer warmer, but I prefer colder for metal, so neutral sound will be great although I lean towards the warmer sound.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Well, I usually listen to music in my cell phone (xperia z) and my PCs (y410p and a desktop with Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD). I am not sure if i like warm or a colder sound, because for electronic music I prefer warmer, but I prefer colder for metal, so neutral sound will be great although I lean towards the warmer sound.

Whoa... well the Dt 880 is more Bright n Cold than it is warm. BUT with the right amp it get's an amazingly LEAN warm sound...

Still I'd get a Portable Music player for ur music as most cell phones will sound like garbage on the dt 880s... the Fiio X3 might b a good choice, but ofc $$ 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Whoa... well the Dt 880 is more Bright n Cold than it is warm. BUT with the right amp it get's an amazingly LEAN warm sound...

Still I'd get a Portable Music player for ur music as most cell phones will sound like garbage on the dt 880s... the Fiio X3 might b a good choice, but ofc $$ 

Would you recommend the Ipod Classic 7th Gen? Also, if I buy the Ipod or the X3 do I still need to buy a dac?
Thanks

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Would you recommend the Ipod Classic 7th Gen? Also, if I buy the Ipod or the X3 do I still need to buy a dac?
Thanks

Well... I guess an iPhone would work... still I'm not really sure about Phone Audio. A few companies... well one have made a DAC for an iPhone but if you get a DAP you do not need a DAC. As the DAP has a DAC inside of it. a dac is a Digitial Audio Converter, your phone usually has a poor DAC. And a Digital Audio Player or DAP usually have very good DACs in them. Again the X3 or iPod 7th Gen might be good options! Each DAP has a different sound to it, for example a Zune is Dark, a Hifiman Hm 601 is Warm and I don't quite remember how my iPod Gen 3 Sounded but different from a the other 2 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Well... I guess an iPhone would work... still I'm not really sure about Phone Audio. A few companies... well one have made a DAC for an iPhone but if you get a DAP you do not need a DAC. As the DAP has a DAC inside of it. a dac is a Digitial Audio Converter, your phone usually has a poor DAC. And a Digital Audio Player or DAP usually have very good DACs in them. Again the X3 or iPod 7th Gen might be good options! Each DAP has a different sound to it, for example a Zune is Dark, a Hifiman Hm 601 is Warm and I don't quite remember how my iPod Gen 3 Sounded but different from a the other 2 

Thank You! I will try to get the x3 and see how it sounds 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back