Looking for an amp and/or DAC for my HE-300
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kakuz

New Head-Fier
Hello hello,

I've been enjoying my HE-300 for a month now, but it's my understanding that they do benefit from amplification regardless of their easy to drive nature. Most importantly, I feel that a DAC would be mandatory, since I can hear a slight and obnoxious hizzing sound coming from my MB. 

The problem is that I can only afford something around $150. I'm expecting a somewhat increased soundstage, and an overall clarity improvement (not brightness, I get headaches from sibilant cans, and this have a good amount of that). 

I was thinking about a Fiio E07K or E17 as a safe bet, but I'm also considering the Schiit Magni + UC202 (for now) and the Aune t1.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good pairing for the HE-300? I have had no luck finding much info on this set yet.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 5
For an easy to drive headphone, I'd personally put more money into the DAC. The Schiit Modi is a popular DAC that costs $100, leaving you $50 for an amp. At that price, a JDS Labs Cmoy would do the job. I haven't owned a Modi, but I've had my JDS Cmoy for quite a while. It's a very competent entry-level amp. 

Another option is the Audioquest Dragonfly. This is a small USB stick that contains a DAC and a headphone amp. It's $99 on Amazon, and it got great reviews when it came out and cost a lot more money. I forget the exact price, something like $250. So if people liked it at that price, seems like a steal at $99. I haven't heard it though. 

A cheaper DAC option is the HifimeDIY Sabre, which is a DAC only and costs somewhere around $50, leaving you more for an amp. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 5
If it is your first DAC/Amp, I would go for the two-in-one design. To be honest, I don't see any disadvantages of FiiO portable DAC/Amps. (But bear in mind that I am a fan of them :wink: It is very convenient to move (if needed), quite compact and nice-looking. If we talk about E17, it has SPDIF and USB digital inputs and its SPDIF supports up to 24/192.

Whereas, Schiit Modi has only USB and 24/96 (the question is whether you will be listening to high resolution recordings or not) and it requires an amp.
But if you could save some money and buy a Modi-Magni for 200$, dual-chassis combo (with Magni having even more power output than E09K) it would definately be a serious step further.

I wouldn't go for small and powerless amps, as it is very likely they will be providing the same amount of amplification as your current player/laptop. So there wouldn't be a great advantage over what you have now.

Anyway, HE-300 can be driven by anything due to its high sensitivity.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 5
  If it is your first DAC/Amp, I would go for the two-in-one design. To be honest, I don't see any disadvantages of FiiO portable DAC/Amps. (But bear in mind that I am a fan of them :wink: It is very convenient to move (if needed), quite compact and nice-looking. If we talk about E17, it has SPDIF and USB digital inputs and its SPDIF supports up to 24/192.

Whereas, Schiit Modi has only USB and 24/96 (the question is whether you will be listening to high resolution recordings or not) and it requires an amp.
But if you could save some money and buy a Modi-Magni for 200$, dual-chassis combo (with Magni having even more power output than E09K) it would definately be a serious step further.

I wouldn't go for small and powerless amps, as it is very likely they will be providing the same amount of amplification as your current player/laptop. So there wouldn't be a great advantage over what you have now.

Anyway, HE-300 can be driven by anything due to its high sensitivity.

I ended up getting the E07K due to a sudden budget cut, but you're right, I do prioritize portability. Not too concerned about the sheer power, but it looks like it's a respectable DAC as well. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 5
  I ended up getting the E07K due to a sudden budget cut, but you're right, I do prioritize portability. Not too concerned about the sheer power, but it looks like it's a respectable DAC as well. Thanks!

Kakuz,

Please post your impressions of the E07K for us to know if you are happy with it as well as its compatibility with HE-300.
Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back