Looking for an AM/FM tuner; help?
Oct 22, 2005 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
More accurately, I'm looking for a decent AM/FM tuner for my folks to replace their ageing (and dying) NAD 4130.

The problem with looking for a tuner, as I've come to see it, is that nobody seems to want a standalone unit anymore, so most are only available as part of a receiver. And a receiver in this case is little more than a waste of money.

At any rate, the best idea I have found yet for a (new) unit is an NAD C422, for "only" $300. Is this about as good as I'll manage, or is there such a thing as a less expensive, yet still competent tuner out there still?

Thanks much.

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 17
I don't know if the Cambridge Audio Azur 340T is available in the US, but it's something I would check out if I were looking for a tuner. Also, what's the situation with the Tivoli Audio tuners, do they have stereo receivers now? Those might be something worth looking into as well, if you're willing to have a slightly less orthodox solution.

/JF

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Turns out that Cambridge is available in the States, and there's a store out here in Portland that carries them, so I'll be stopping by on my way to the 'Pops show tonight.

Thanks again! More thoughts are always welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 17
You can also check out the Rotel RT-02. Inexpensive but decent tuner for $299.

If you can swing $499 the Magnum Dynalab DT5 is on sale at 50% off from $1000 at Audio Advisor. A great deal on a really nice tuner.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 17
More into the Vintage stuff myself, but the Denon TU-1500RD has a good reputation, especially for DXing.

I tried to get one in Canada, but too much of a hassle. Goes for about $375US.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 17
You would be crazy to pay serious money for a new tuner, in my opinion when there are so many amazing old tuners to be had for peanuts. check out http://www.fmtunerinfo.com for reviews and advice on servicing and tweaking.
The NAD you have is a very decent tuner and with some TLC would probably outperform it's modern equivalent.
In the rush to DAB people are simply discarding old high-end stuff and so their are definite bargains to be had.
I picked up a Kenwood 7500 which is a really lovely

KT-7500case1.jpg

and recently a Technics S8 which is also pretty cool in an early 80's styli . These were seriously high-end in their day and still sound wonderful even in stock form but could probably be improved a lot with some judicious tweakery.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 17
My Optonica receiver is on the way and should be here sometime this week. I don't think big heavy receivers are a waste- if they have good tuners, a phono stage, and plenty of inputs for when you bring your iPod over to listen to tunes, and a decent headphone out so you can plug in your cans, plus of course being able to drive whatever speakers your folks have - hey, why not, right? All for under 100 bucks!

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
My Optonica receiver is on the way and should be here sometime this week. I don't think big heavy receivers are a waste- if they have good tuners, a phono stage, and plenty of inputs for when you bring your iPod over to listen to tunes, and a decent headphone out so you can plug in your cans, plus of course being able to drive whatever speakers your folks have - hey, why not, right? All for under 100 bucks!

Wait--you got something that pulls in broadcasts for under $100? Tell me more...
(for the record, my Karma doesn't see use on this system, my folks haven't got any DAPs at their disposal, and the phono stage is in the amp: this is why I'm looking for a barebones tuner, since everything else is either unnecessary or already taken care of)

I've been avoiding the whole used gear aspect because frankly, I don't want to be bothered with finding *just* the right deal, or *just* the right piece of equipment (this means eBay is verboten).
BUT... if there's such a thing as a reliable, easily found and aesthetically not-ugly tuner out there that doesn't like to periodically try to blow up the speakers downstream... I'm listening.

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 17
I have one of Denon's standalone tuners which has worked out pretty well for me though I don't think it's any cheaper than the NAD. I'm not sure they're making them any more though. As far as quality wise, I couldn't even venture a guess...

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 17
yep, stuff like the Marantz 2230 ebay link! or the Pioneer SX-750 can be had for under a 100 bucks, and that includes shipping. If you look long enough, you can even squeek one for 30 bucks, and maybe 15 bucks S&H or even better, local pickup.

Those things were built with some serious tuners and can pick up a mouse sneezing 2 states over. They make standalone tuners too, but for the same price i'd rather just get the receiver.

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 17
I have a Denon TU-260LII which can be had for as little as £100 GBP nowadays and has constantly received 5 Star reviews in many HiFi Magazines in the UK.

I love it to bits!

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 17
keep in mind that if you pick up a standalone tuner, you'll still need some kinda amp to drive your parents' speakers. even a T-Amp will do! just another reason to get an all-in-one receiver box.

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 17
ebay!!!! TONS of old stand alone tuners for dirt cheap!

most of them have very warm sound, that's where i got mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
keep in mind that if you pick up a standalone tuner, you'll still need some kinda amp to drive your parents' speakers. even a T-Amp will do! just another reason to get an all-in-one receiver box.

They've already got an amp.
The system in question currently consists of an amp, CD player, cassette player, turntable, and of course the dying tuner. Oh, and a reel-to-reel
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back