Looking for amps in the sub-$100 range
May 1, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 20
I picked one up in the forum for ~$130. I see quite a few of them FS..

i like the sound from mine feeding HD580...

May 1, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 20
rab10: I wouldn't ask if I knew the answer in the first place... =)

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide which way to go:
  1. I can replace the A500s with HD280s and go w/o an amp
  2. I can use the A500s w/o an amp for some time, trying to stand the clipping and/or listen at low volumes
  3. I can get an amp
The reason I took a step backwards is that I don't trust my current source(s) that much, and I can upgrade them too.

May 20, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I am curious about the TBH and TAH, and the Meier Porta Corda II
(does it come with a high-quality Oelbach interconnect?)

They do not fit your original price range, but they are good head
phone AMPs, NO? How do they compare with the Super Minis and
the JMT Amps?

If this is off topic, you can PM me the answer (I will be using
ATH-A900's with my soon to be Portable Headphone Amp.)

Thanks!

The porta corda is a "full size sound" portable amp , which means it can drive with a quite flat amplification also some high imp. cans . The circuit can be swithced to class A . The sound is good & the amp is versatile .

The Total Bithead ( or also the burr brown Total Airhead , which is quite the same circuit ) sounds slightly better then the std. Total Airhead (version 2004) due to the burr brown opa 4743 mounted on . They provide a good detailed sound which can be heard as more involving and punchy then the PC2 , and maybe alsoi a bit "airier" .

I'd like to see comparisons and reviews of super mini & super dual & other new 100$ price range amps .

May 20, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #20 of 20
Déjà Vu, I'd recommend you get an amp if you can. Even a modestly priced amp will open up your headphone choices considerably, and will improve the sound on many headphones that "don't need an amp."

Headsave has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but I think those mentions were before he unveiled his new Vibe series of amps, ranging from $60 to $85 (batteries, cable, etc. extra). They're brand-new and not many have heard them yet, but Headsave's reputation is very good, and this hugely expands the set of choices available under $100 (yes, I know you've raised your budget to $150, but still).

It's also possible that there'll be people selling their old Xin/fixup Supermini or Supermicro amps when the new SuperDual comes out. That could be a chance to get a great bargain on a very nice little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back