Looking for amps in the sub-$100 range
Apr 25, 2004 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Deja Vu

Head-Fier
Hi again,

As a complete newbie to headphone amps, someone who has recenlty bough his first high-impedance cans (that suffer from clipping at high-volumes when driven by 5mW sources), and someone who's willing to get even better (read: even higher-impedance) cans in the future, I realized that I'll have to get a headphone amp sooner or later.

In the price range I'm looking at, it's not hard to guess I'll be getting a home-made amp, probably a CMoy.

My current sources are aSony D-EJ955 CD Walkman (5mW) and a Sony MZ-R91 MD Walkman (5mW), however, I'll be getting an iPod before July, which at least has a more powerful output (30mW).

Having given details about my sources, below are my questions for those who know much more about amps and headphones than me:
  • What's the best amp I can get for less than $100? A CMoy?
  • Would that $60 Audio-Technica amp be a better solution than a home-made amp?
  • Would it be logical to use an SR225, HD580 or HD600 with such an amp? Because those three are among the phones I'm looking at for my future purchases.
Many thanks to all who might help,

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 20
In your price range, the MINT(new for <$100) and Xin Super-Mini(v. 6.0) (Used for <$100, new for $120) both offer a sound that is fully "Hi-Fi". If you can find a used Meta42 for <$100, that would be at least as good as, or possibly better than, the MINT or Super-Mini amps. The MINT and Super-Mini are both a good step up in sound quality from the cmoy. BTW, the MINT amp that I heard was built by JMT ( www.jmtaudio.com ). The Super-Mini is available new at www.fixup.net under "Cool Stuff". For used Super-Mini's, keep a sharp eye on the Amplifier For-Sale Forum - they tend to sell fast when put up for sale there. If you are going to look at a cmoy, send an email to ivan@eyevancsu.net and identify yourself as a Head-Fier when you ask for a quote on one of his cmoys in a silver tin. I am currently enjoying one of his cmoys, the benefit/cost of which cannot be beat.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 20
Thank you both for your recommendations, I guess I'll get a Xin Super Mini/Micro.

How do the Super Mini/Micro compare to MINTs? And how do they compare against each other? Is the micro worth the extra $30? (besides the smaller size?)

EDIT: Or should I get a HeadRoom AirHead for $150 instead?

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 20
The Xin Super-Mini is comparable to a Meta42 and is more neutral than a MINT. I would describe the MINT as warm, sweet, liquid and detailed. I would describe the Super-Mini as neutral and detailed. It is not as warm or sweet as the MINT, and a little drier than the MINT. The MINT adds a slight coloration to the sound, but one that I like very much for all genres of music and sound. So my own ear prefers the MINT. Again, I would say that the sound quality of either the MINT or the Super-Mini is solidly "Hi-Fi". I can't help you with the Super-Micro.

If you were going to stretch your budget to get an Airhead, I would suggest that you get a Portable Pimeta instead, which you can look into at both:
www.jmtaudio.com and www.headsave.com

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 20
I have a CMoy that has cost about $100, but that's also including the $40 or so I spent on Alpha hook-up wire, Kester solder, and other such tools that will be used for many future projects. Note, I started [trying] to build mine almost 2 years ago when your options for DIY amps were pretty much limited to CMoy or META42. Apheared had his modified ones, of course, and others as well, but those two were the basic models. Anyway, MisterX (awesome dude... highly recommend for amp building/repair or cables) took pity on me and basically re-built the whole thing. Props to him.

Anyhoo, yeah, I'd recommend not getting a CMoy. They don't sound bad, don't get me wrong, but there's better out there, and since you've got a $100 budget, might as well get a MINT or whatever. If you want it to be mint tin small, MINT is prolly your best option (or the SuperMini, of course), but if you don't care, or you can carry a small-ish Hammond case, then a PIMETA or used META42 would be good. The PIMETA is an upgraded circuit that borrows stuff from the PPA. However, there's fully pimped out META42s for sale that will probably about match a stock PIMETA in sound quality that go for maybe $150 or so, (possibly less) so that's an option too.

Just please, please, don't get a Boosteroo...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The Xin Super-Mini is comparable to a Meta42 and is more neutral than a MINT. I would describe the MINT as warm, sweet, liquid and detailed. I would describe the Super-Mini as neutral and detailed. It is not as warm or sweet as the MINT, and a little drier than the MINT. The MINT adds a slight coloration to the sound, but one that I like very much for all genres of music and sound.[/url]

Agreed completely with your feelings on the MINT, although I've never head the Xin. A Meta42 (or Pimeta) would indeed be more neutral than the MINT... you get the music, there's much less of the (albeit pleasant) coloration.

P.S. one thing to look for in a Meta42 or Pimeta is that it be 'maxed out' (most are) with quad stacked buffers and high quality parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Vu
[*]Would it be logical to use an SR225, HD580 or HD600 with such an amp? Because those three are among the phones I'm looking at for my future purchases.

If it's gonna be an HD580 or 600, I'd look to either a 'maxed out' MINT (Norm at headsave.com sells one as the Headsave MiniMe for $110 without power supply) or maxed-out PIMETA/Meta42 as an absolute minimum. I would not go with a CMOY or portable MINT (or portable anything) with those cans... portability means a focus on battery life at the expense of compromised sound quality. I haven't heard the Xin super-mini, but if the focus is on long battery life then there's going to be some SQ compromise... it's unavoidable.

P.S. I'd really reconsider your price range and up it to at least $150 (if not $200), unless you're buying used. The key to getting great SQ from the DIY amps is in the quality of parts and delivery of clean power. You won't regret spending the extra money, even if you have to save up for it. Go with a solid minimum, then you won't have a nagging feeling about upgrading.

P.P.S. my father is Turkish (he's going back there to visit next month)... Merhaba!
smily_headphones1.gif
(don't ask for other words, I don't remember any
tongue.gif
).

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 20
Again, thank you all for your suggestions... =)

I've extended my budget to $150, but I'm not willing to spend more on an amp...

I don't care that much about portability, and that sweetness of the MINTs that you're talking about might not be the best thing for me, someone who listens to metal most of the time...

eMpAtHy: Unfortunately, I have no time & skill to build an amp on my own. However, I can look out for used offers.

fewtch: I think I'll get one of those 2 phones (HD580/600) one day, but I don't want to spend hundreds of bucks just because of a possibility.

Considering all the replies I've received (though I believe I'll post again tomorrow, since I'm very tired right now and can't think very well), below are the amps that I consider "possible":
  1. HeadRoom AirHead
  2. Headsave MiniMe
  3. Headsave Elite [preferably used]
  4. JMT Audio Portable
  5. Xin SuperMini
  6. Xin SuperMicro
Apparently, Headsave Elite is your favorite on the list, but I believe others are good amps too...

CMOYs and MINTs are out of the list now.

Please let me know which amp would you guys prefer if you were someone who listens to metal most of the time (someone who doesn't like his music softened =))

P.S. fewtch, I don't know how long your father has lived here, but if he needs any help to find his way around, I can help him (if he's coming to Istanbul, of course... =)) Actually, I proposed Istanbul for the place for the European Head-Fi meet, but no one was interested. I believe they'd think otherwise if they had seen it once... =)

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Vu
Again, thank you all for your suggestions... =)

I've extended my budget to $150, but I'm not willing to spend more on an amp...

I don't care that much about portability, and that sweetness of the MINTs that you're talking about might not be the best thing for me, someone who listens to metal most of the time...

I think you'd be OK with a MINT listening to metal. The "sweetness" is more a sort of coloration (from the op-amp), not a softening of the music... the full detail/energy is there. I have the MiniMe, and I actually find it somewhat aggressive-sounding (reflective of the AD8620 opamp). It has a sort of "hot" energetic sound that I think would be good with metal. The bass will be a bit weaker than a Meta42/Pimeta because of less buffers, but nothing serious.
Quote:

P.S. fewtch, I don't know how long your father has lived here, but if he needs any help to find his way around, I can help him (if he's coming to Istanbul, of course... =)) Actually, I proposed Istanbul for the place for the European Head-Fi meet, but no one was interested. I believe they'd think otherwise if they had seen it once... =)

He left there and moved to the USA in the early 1960's (was in the Turkish military at the time). Not sure where he's visiting... he's probably taken care of tho, but thanks for the offer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 20
Again, everyting points to a PIMETA... =) So, what's the final decision from my list? Elite?

About your dad: OK then, just PM me if you need anything... =)) Oh, and if he's visiting Istanbul, make sure he takes some photos of the bosphorus... =))

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 20
New Question: How about a used Porta Corda?

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 20
$150 buys you a maxed out PIMETA from the For Sale forum (a couple went for around $100 a few days ago; I of course, missed out
rolleyes.gif
).

With regards to the Porta Corda, given the cans you are using, they're most likely not going to be used portably. Hence, a portable amp is kind of impractical, although it's always nice to have the option.

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 20
^ But is Porta Corda better than the other amps in my list?

Anyway, here's a new question:

If I bought a CD player instead (e.g. NAD 521i), would its headphone out be powerful enough to drive the headphones I've mentioned?

May 1, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 20
I am curious about the TBH and TAH, and the Meier Porta Corda II
(does it come with a high-quality Oelbach interconnect?)

They do not fit your original price range, but they are good head
phone AMPs, NO? How do they compare with the Super Minis and
the JMT Amps?

If this is off topic, you can PM me the answer (I will be using
ATH-A900's with my soon to be Portable Headphone Amp.)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back