Looking for amp to drive HD650s
Apr 23, 2017 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dalton Stamp

New Head-Fier
Hi all I'm relatively new to higher-end headphones and I've done some research and settled on buying a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, but my current budget does not allow me to fit in an expensive amp at this moment in time, I'm wondering if the FiiO E10K dac/amp could drive the HD650s well with the intent of upgrading a few months down the line?

Alternatively are there any amps that you guys would recommend over the FiiO E10K at the £60/$75 price point? 

Thanks

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 15
  Hi all I'm relatively new to higher-end headphones and I've done some research and settled on buying a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, but my current budget does not allow me to fit in an expensive amp at this moment in time, I'm wondering if the FiiO E10K dac/amp could drive the HD650s well with the intent of upgrading a few months down the line?

Alternatively are there any amps that you guys would recommend over the FiiO E10K at the £60/$75 price point? 

Pangea HP101 - Class A tube gainstage and discrete output stage, has its own power supply (doesn't depend on USB power like the E10K), USB DAC works with up to 24/96, works with my Android even with Spotify (ie no special USB audio drivers like USB Audio Player Pro).

Other than that, just save up for something like a Magni2 or Vali2.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 15
H600 and HD650 has high impedance (300Ohm) , required bigger output amp.
I tried couple portable amp within $50-200 price range , but not happy with result.

These cans working well with desktop amp, I have  good impression pair with Bottlehead tube amp, Gustard H10, Maverick Audio D1 (modified with Burson V5i opamp).

You can visit this thread;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

~ron~

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 15
When ever your ready and want to hear what they are capable of it is the Bottlehead Crack.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 15
The Magni 2 might just be in my current budget, my only question (I apologise for my cluelessness)  how would I go about setting it up? Seeing as its a rca cable in and I want to plug in into my pc, what cables would I need? 

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 15
The Magni 2 might just be in my current budget, my only question (I apologise for my cluelessness)  how would I go about setting it up? Seeing as its a rca cable in and I want to plug in into my pc, what cables would I need? 

No worries at all! Get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. One side looks like a headphone jack and the other like a red and white RCA cable. You can get a DAC later - your PC's headphone out should be relatively clean enough to provide a decent signal in the meantime.

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 15
I am looking into getting a pair of Sennheiser HD650. The amp that I have is fairly cheap, you can get it for about $229 and it is a nice big heavy powerful Class A/B amp.

As long as you have enough space for it and give it plenty of breathing room it should work with a PC as well. 

I should get it (the headphones) in two weeks, I will report back to let people know if it is a good pairing or not.

Here is the amp (it can run speakers as well) of course:

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back