Looking for amp for Ipod Touch 5g
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joshjp

100+ Head-Fier
first off will it make any difference with a seperate amp? i dont have any high impedance headphones, but just want a small portable dac/amp, to bypass the one in the Ipod. THANKS

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
First off will it make any difference with a separate amp? I don't have any high impedance headphones, but just want a small portable DAC/amp, to bypass the one in the iPod. THANKS

Maybe a Fiio E07K?
I believe the Fiio E17 is going for as low as $109 right now.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
first off will it make any difference with a seperate amp? i dont have any high impedance headphones, but just want a small portable dac/amp, to bypass the one in the Ipod. THANKS

Just checked your profile.  Aside from the NC cans you have - IMO none of the others will benefit from additional amplification, and the current amp (and headphone out) in the Touch 5G is very low impedance, measures well, and is pretty linear.

So not sure why you want to add an amp?  You also realise to bypass the amp section in the Touch G5 you'll need to add an adaptor before you can use a LOD (unless you want to double amp the headphone out)?  And adding adaptor and LOD then bypasses the perfectly good DAC in the actual 5G and uses the DAC chip in the adaptor instead.

Really speaking - all you're going to do is add bulk to your portable set-up with no improvement to SQ.

IMI, if you want something to adjust tonality etc - forget about the amp, and buy the Equaliser app from the iTunes App store.  Better value and more useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back