Looking for amp/DAC in $500 range for DT880/600
Jun 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
So here's my system right now:

Oppo 980--->Monoprice IC's--->Darkvoice 336i--->Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm

I'm probably going to be moving to a music server solution within the next year, so I'm looking to upgrade to a new amp/DAC combo. Here's what I'm looking for:

Features
- Amp and DAC in one unit
- 24/192 and 24/96 through digital connections wherever possible
- USB, coax, optical inputs

Sound
- Drive the Beyers at least as well as the Darkvoice. Normal listening for non-brickwalled albums is around 10-12 o'clock
- I'd prefer a less colored sound than what my 336 is giving me
- Something detailed would be very good
- No tubes

Price Range
$500 or less.

Possible Contenders
- NuForce HDP
- Audio-gd FUN
- Maverick D1
- Audio-gd Sparrow

I am also open to the idea of a separate DAC and amp. I like what I've been reading about the EMU 0404 USB. I like what I've been reading a lot. I would just need a good SS amp to go with it. Pro gear particularly interests me. The Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 Equalizer looks really cool, and can be had for less than $250.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 27
DACMagic has no headphone amp.

I'm not 100% but I believe that the HDP is not Asynchronous USB, it does claim 96/24 over USB 2.0, but that doesn't mean that it's Asynchronous. Still given the OP's requirements I think the HDP is one of the few DAC/Amps that even come close to meeting them.

I'd suggest that the OP read the HDP thread. It should only take about a month
smile.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 27
I'm not sure if the Matrix mini-i fits ya bill, but have a look. I haven't looked at the full specs of the unit, but they do seem to be worth a pop :)

and yes, the DACMagic is just a DAC from the little I remember

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
DACMagic has no headphone amp.

I'm not 100% but I believe that the HDP is not Asynchronous USB, it does claim 96/24 over USB 2.0, but that doesn't mean that it's Asynchronous. Still given the OP's requirements I think the HDP is one of the few DAC/Amps that even come close to meeting them.

I'd suggest that the OP read the HDP thread. It should only take about a month
smile.gif

Asynchronous USB is not vital, but I'd rather have it than not. The HDP really does look like a very nice fit. I'd like to see more A/B comparisons with other DACs and amps. I will read that thread.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Matrix mini-i fits ya bill, but have a look. I haven't looked at the full specs of the unit, but they do seem to be worth a pop :)

and yes, the DACMagic is just a DAC from the little I remember

Ehhhhh....I don't think that could handle the Beyers.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 27
After taking a peek at that thread, there's almost no reason for me not to jump on the NuForce! It just seems to kinda fit my needs. Unless someone has a better idea, I think I'm gonna buy one within the next month or so.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 27
Nothing like leaping into action :)

I'm a minor fan of Nuforces budget products (uDAC, HDP), I own the uDAC and think it's an extremely good value priced product. I haven't had a chance to audition the HDP, but if I were in the market I'd give it a shot.

The other side of that coin is that I'm not a fan of Nuforce's higher end products. Digital amps just aren't my bag, baby.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 27
i just wanted to throw in the Audio-GD FUN or Sparrow, depending on how much room you have. The FUN is more versatile in terms of inputs and outputs, but also takes up a larger space and costs more. The Sparrow is like it's little brother. Both of them are very faithful to the source and do not color the input.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
i just wanted to throw in the Audio-GD FUN or Sparrow, depending on how much room you have. The FUN is more versatile in terms of inputs and outputs, but also takes up a larger space and costs more. The Sparrow is like it's little brother. Both of them are very faithful to the source and do not color the input.

Actually, it seems like the basic version of the FUN is about $50 cheaper than the HDP. I've also seen some people saying that the amp section of the FUN is better than the HDP's, while the HDP may have a better DAC. That's based on just anecdotal evidence, though, not any A/B comparisons.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 27
you wouldn't go wrong with the FUN in my opinion. their customer service is great even though they are overseas.  they are very responsive in their e-mails and are eager to help. i once had an small issue with a module and they immediately sent a replacement part to me, it was very smooth and a pleasure to deal with.

i don't recommend you go with the 24/192 DIR module however. the 24/96 is much more neutral and doesn't color the sound, the general consensus seems to be it is a better performer overall (and that's the reason it's the default DIR module). same with the DA1852 vs the DA8740 DAC modules. the default parts are the default parts for a reason because they tuned the system to work ideally with them to be the most neutral.

i have no experience with the FET module vs the Diamond module so read around about that to see what fits you more. also, one upgrade you should definitely consider is getting the OPA-Earth module to replace the default OPA.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 27
Yeah, that's the idea I got from reading around. How much does one run if you order direct from them and pay with Paypal? I found a seller in the U.S., Pacific Valve, that has it for $398 out the door, but I don't know if it's Version A or if it has 24/96 through USB. I shot them an email.

EDIT: The more I read about the FUN, the more I think it's the one I'm going to go with. It delivers a LOT of power, which is perfect for my Beyers.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 27
I own a Fun (Version A with OPA Earth) and a Beyer 880 600Ohm as well and for me it is a perfect combination. The Fun definitely provides enough power to drive the Beyer very well.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 27
i have no experience with the emu0404 but i have a couple friends who do and from what they have told me the FUN is leagues above it. 

buying direct from audio-gd, it should run right around $400 flat. shoot them an e-mail listing the exact configuration you want and they will give you a quote. dont forget to tell them things like the OPA-Earth or other upgrades you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back