Looking for alternative to Bose Tri-Ports
Dec 16, 2005 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

IndieRokker

New Head-Fier
Hey guys/gals. I'm looking for an alternative to the Bose Tri-Ports (which you guys obviously loathe) as a gift from my girlfriend for xmas. Price should be around 150 bucks more or less and have kick ass sound similar to the HD-25-1's. I already have the HD-25-1's though so no need to suggest them.

Let me say this though. For a while I was tempted to just tell her to get me the tri-ports since my main use for them will be on trips to and from school on the train and walking the extra mile or so. I figure you guys could come up with something better though. I want something that is rugged and can handle the cold and the heat of Chicago. To be honest I didn't really mind the sound of the tri-ports. I mean yeah it was a little muddy but they do have their merrits.

Like I said I really dig the sound of the HD-25-1's because I can hear the little nuances and stuff. What I don't like about them is that they rest ON the ear instead of surrounding the ear like a tri-port would.

So:

*Surround the ear
*$150 more or less
*kick ass sound similar to HD-25-1's if possible
*easily driven by most portable players

That's all I ask. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 20
You want them for mostly portable use?

I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD555s. They're open circumaural so they go around your ear instead of on your ear. The only thing about them that I dislike is that they're rather large (although surprisingly light) and may not be as portable as the Triports. I've also heard good things about the slightly less expensive HD280 but haven't heard them myself.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 20
Yep, mostly for portable use but I wouldn't mind if you knew of a 'phone that was good for both home and portable use. That would be ideal actually.

I'm looking into the hd280 pro's because I see them for 70 bucks! The 555's look too big and didn't get too great of reviews in regards to music reproduction.

Anyone else? Keep em coming!

Edit: do you use your 555's for portable use milkpowder? I'm afraid people would be staring at me if I wore them on the train or walking around downtown.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 20
First of all, screw anyone else's opinion. I REALLY love the Koss A-130 headphones, not exactly an item that others here rave about. Their best attribute is bass that goes ALL THE WAY DOWN, and still sounds full and gives a great foundation to music even at low volumes. NOTHING anyone could say would change my mine, because I made it up BY LISTENING!

Do the same thing. Use the 'phones that sound best to you. If it's the Tri-Ports (which DO sound good...at least in my very brief experience with them), then SCREW what anyone else thinks...including me!

It's your money. They're YOUR EARS! It's YOUR LIFE! Do what pleases YOU!

580smile.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 20
Mike's would be the ultimate answer, it is important that you have a listen yourself... everyone's tastes are different.

I actually found the HD555's to sound very good when listening to music. There was a certain "live" sense about them. For some songs (the more acoustic driven songs) it sounded as if I were there in the audience, that is, when coupled with a high quality recording.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 20
That is a great answer, Mike, and I do appreciate it. But i'm still looking for other suggestions/alternatives. It can't hurt can it?

What do you all think about the hd280 pro's for 70 bucks? The 555's scare me cuz they look huge. I've never heard of the ath-es7 before but they look nice. Are they anything like the ath-a900?

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 20
the 280pros are good, but they have more of a neutral sound to them, less fun and flatter than you're used to. The 555 are awesome, but they're an open can and the leak. This could be bad for portable use. I'm crazy so I don't have any problems wearing large, open headphones outside, but your girlfriend might. Great for home use though.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndieRokker
What do you all think about the hd280 pro's for 70 bucks?

I would have to suggest against the hd280 pro. I have a pair and while I do find them to be very good headphones, they are ust not for music listening. While they are very neutral and they do produce a very detailed sound, they are just too neutral, to the point that they are boring to listen to. They are very analytical, cold, and just no fun at all to listen to.

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 20
I have no problems wearing large phones outside (the Qualia 010 is actually quite large), but I might balk at the HD280 which frankly speaking looks rather silly on the head. The HD555... an acquired taste I'd say.

When you find a ~$150 circumaural, comfy, compact, socially acceptable lightweight isolated phone which offers better sound than the Triport, give me a PM because I've yet to find it, and I'll want it. The HD25-1 or the slightly more comfortable (but significantly less isolating) ATH-ES7 would probably be the closest alternatives, but both are supraaural. You already know the sound of the HD25-1, the ATH-ES7 is best described as an MDR-V700DJ with very slightly more accuracy and additional 'boom' (quite an addictive sound). Alternatively if you're willing to sacrifice isolation, the D66 eggo may be worth a look since they are compact and circumaural. The only other reasonably low-profile circumaural phones I can think of are the Beyer DT250-80. These are low-profile on the head, however they're larger and don't fold flat so are quite bulky. They do have comfort on their side and feature decent accuracy, but also exhibits a rather uninvolving sound with a nasty band in the upper midrange coupled with possibly the lowest isolation among the closed semi-portable 'pro-use' <$200 phones.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 20
For some reason the tri-ports are looking pretty enticing right about now. The things I want most are portability and comfort, i'v come to realize. And also, something that doesn't look goofy on my head. The tri-ports have that going for them. And judging from Bangraman's and another persons advice the tri-ports don't sound all that bad. The things I'm concerned about though are ruggedness and build quality. I think the tri-ports are lacking there if i'm correct. Oh well, i'm always really careful with stuff that costs a lot of money so I'm sure I can keep them for quite a while.

Like Mike said, you never know what you like till you try it and these aren't costing me anything so why not go for it.

Thanks for all the help guys but please keep posting if you feel you've forgot something.

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 20
I've heard pretty good things about the beyer DT231's. They are light and portable and they seem pretty comfortable. The only thing that they don't meet in your criteria is they are earpads and not circumaural. Just another suggestion for you.

P.S. They are also only $60ish bux.

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndieRokker
...And judging from Bangraman's and another persons advice the tri-ports don't sound all that bad...

There are a lot of people that would strongly disagree with this
tongue.gif

If you think the Triports sound good, go ahead and buy them. It sounds like you're not all that concerned with sound quality for this particular use anyway, and you're not going to find circumaural, closed headphones that are both smaller and more comfortable.

Personally, I think the Triports are bearable for (very) short listeneing periods. The problem is that there's no freaking way I'd pay even $50 for them, when the $20 HD-201 sounds about the same (to my ears). Even the <$50 PX-100 blows away the Triports for sound quality... but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back