Looking for aesthetically beautiful CD changer (80s/90s style)
Jul 2, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for an aesthetically beautiful CD changer with digital audio output (coaxial, if possible, otherwise optical would be fine). I'm into the classic 80s/90s style look. For example, this made me change my pants:

systemon.jpg

That's the Sony CDP-C85ES. Notice the awesome rectangular buttons and plethora of controls on the face plate. That would be perfect, but unfortunately it is out of production and nowhere to be found on eBay, Audiogon, Yahoo! Auctions Japan, etc.

So, what CD changers (minimum 5 CDs) do you guys know of that have this type of aesthetic value? I'm looking to spend <$150.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 11
It seems like most Sony units from the late '80s and early '90s would have the black-square-industrial look. Actually, that look was pretty popular for most budget mainstream equipment.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 11
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-ES-CD-playe...ayphotohosting

That's a killer player - music calender, Rosewood panels (can be removed), and on board DSP. With variable line out, you can go straight to amp and speakers if you want. While not the most upscale, Sony ES players of that era were well regarded. The 79ES retailed for $700 in the early 90's which would be well over a $1k today; not "budget" by any means.

I used to own one. One thing I will add is that it's built like a tank. If you win an auction for a Sony ES changer, be sure to ask that the seller if they can install the shipping screw on the bottom.

7xes's and 8xes's come up all the time on Ebay; just have to be patient, and because of their value, they're usually well kept.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Very interesting... I haven't heard much discussion of Sony's sources, other than the current SACD-capable models. Do these higher-end players use multi-bit DACs?

Also, OP, look at some of the stuff from Bang & Olufsen... They certainly have their own ideas about style.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 11
I bet you can find a Denon DCM-380 for around that $. Coaxial out, HDCD, 5-disk, boxy, and comes with plastic buttons. What more could you ask for!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet you can find a Denon DCM-380 for around that $. Coaxial out, HDCD, 5-disk, boxy, and comes with plastic buttons. What more could you ask for!
biggrin.gif

Reliability. I spent over a month troubleshooting a DCM-370, including a brand new laser and ribbon cable, and it still didn't work. There aren't enough calibration adjustments to keep it in working condition for more than a little while.
frown.gif

The DCM series is well-known to suffer from disc skipping and eventual inability to find the TOC. Also, a lot of problems with the carousel mechanism; it's loud, its motor is weak, and it squeaks on the way in.

It sounded pretty good for the 10 total seconds I heard it, though. I'm sure that Denon's higher-end is in a different league compared to the budget Denon gear I've tried.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a Sony SCD 333ES that looks almost identical. The SCD 555ES is very similar.

Be patient they show up from time to time on Ebay and Audiogon.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability. I spent over a month troubleshooting a DCM-370, including a brand new laser and ribbon cable, and it still didn't work. There aren't enough calibration adjustments to keep it in working condition for more than a little while.
frown.gif

The DCM series is well-known to suffer from disc skipping and eventual inability to find the TOC. Also, a lot of problems with the carousel mechanism; it's loud, its motor is weak, and it squeaks on the way in.

It sounded pretty good for the 10 total seconds I heard it, though. I'm sure that Denon's higher-end is in a different league compared to the budget Denon gear I've tried.

Well, I will agree with you somewhat. I've owned my DCM-380 for around 3 years now, and have experienced some problems with the player not reading certain discs. I've never had the player skip on me however. As for reading discs, it will read anything and everything cold. After the player warms up, some cd's won't play. I've noticed that most of these CD's happen to be AAD. Not sure if there is a connection there or just coincidence.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Please keep them coming!

DEN9-DCM380.jpg

The Denon DCM-380 looks too sleek, simple, and rounded for me. It also lacks a lot of controls on the face plate.

tbonner1 - Are you talking about the C555ES or the 555ES?

scd555_08.jpg

The 555ES is too conservative and simple on its face plate, and it has more modern circular buttons.

C555ES.jpg

The C555ES has more controls on the face plate, but the buttons are either too small and conservative, or they're circular and modern looking.

sonyscdc333es.jpg

The C333ES is similar to the C555ES/555ES.

All three of these Sony CDPs don't really look close to what I'm after:
systemon.jpg

1ab1_1_b.JPG

virometal - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely keep that CDP in mind.

I think I found everything I've been looking for here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back