Looking for advice on new DAC
Apr 29, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 23
It's just not analytical. At all. The detail retrieval is certainly there, but it does it in a very musical way.

The company that makes your speakers don't list any meaningful specs. It tells me they're not very good. You can't expect to get the most out of a thousand dollar DAC with 250 dollar bluetooth speakers whose claim to fame are being louder than other similarly-priced bluetooth speakers.

I'm not telling you what to like or commenting on your taste. I'm just saying objectively, the RME is fantastic. If it doesn't sound good, the problem is very unlikely to be the RME.

I have several DACs that cost more than 2X more than the RME and they aren't more musical or enjoyable for me. I don't think there is an upgrade unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. Plenty of alternatives though.
You seem to be taking offense that the OP thinks the RME is more sterile sounding to them. They don’t care for it so just let it go. I’ve heard it a couple of times and it is good but for me seems more like a professional audio device which is fine if you are recording or monitoring but for me I listen to music the way I want to enjoy it . It doesn’t have to be bit perfect or totally neutral or whatever just make me want to listen. I’m not one for measurements or trying to achieve the “Harman Target” just what sounds good for me .

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 23
You seem to be taking offense that the OP thinks the RME is more sterile sounding to them. They don’t care for it so just let it go. I’ve heard it a couple of times and it is good but for me seems more like a professional audio device which is fine if you are recording or monitoring but for me I listen to music the way I want to enjoy it . It doesn’t have to be bit perfect or totally neutral or whatever just make me want to listen. I’m not one for measurements or trying to achieve the “Harman Target” just what sounds good for me .
Yes I totally agree, I respect theirs preferences so I expect the same, and for the record I do not listen by Bluetooth :slight_smile:

By other hand, I appreciate any comments about BF2 vs Ares II as I narrowed my options to those 2 and a possible Chord Qutest if you consider a worthy upgrade over BF2 and Ares II. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 23
I do like the Multibit sound as I do love my Yggdrasil so call me jaded.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 23
I do like the Multibit sound as I do love my Yggdrasil so call me jaded.
I see, well after much thinking I decided to give Ares II a try, mostly because of the more features it offers over BF2 and being a true R2R ladder vs chip based if that matters.

Ill comment back in following weeks, hopefully not another looking for advice thread (joking) :smile:

Thank you all for help!

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 23
You seem to be taking offense that the OP thinks the RME is more sterile sounding to them. They don’t care for it so just let it go.
No, I'm pointing out pairing a known-good DAC with bluetooth speakers whose claim to fame is to be louder than other bluetooth speakers at the same price point is like complaining that your Ferrari doesn't work good on gravel roads and needs an upgrade to a BMX bicycle. There is such a thing as propriety in the world.

Let it go how? He responded and I stopped.

If you hadn't quoted me I wouldn't have answered further. Unwatched.

May 1, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 23
No, I'm pointing out pairing a known-good DAC with bluetooth speakers whose claim to fame is to be louder than other bluetooth speakers at the same price point is like complaining that your Ferrari doesn't work good on gravel roads and needs an upgrade to a BMX bicycle. There is such a thing as propriety in the world.

Let it go how? He responded and I stopped.

If you hadn't quoted me I wouldn't have answered further. Unwatched.
Here's the thing, you are making some wrong assumptions and started to denigrate my gear just because I dare to say I don't like the RME DAC (which I don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

First you assumes its something wrong in my setup, "terribly wrong in your setup" then assumes iLoud are a cheap Bluetooth, and while it offers Bluetooth connectivity its just for convenience as BT does not gives the same performance as cabled, these $250 speakers (actually paid about $100 / $150) I think gives a great price performance ratio and calibrated (Sonarworks) are transparent enough to enjoy my music and be able to easy pick differences between DACs.

Last but not the least, I really think (to me) the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is FAR FAR from being a Ferrari, to me is most like a Tesla, clean and technically BUT sterile and without a soul.

Just my 2¢

May 2, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 23
Here's the thing, you are making some wrong assumptions and started to denigrate my gear just because I dare to say I don't like the RME DAC (which I don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

First you assumes its something wrong in my setup, "terribly wrong in your setup" then assumes iLoud are a cheap Bluetooth, and while it offers Bluetooth connectivity its just for convenience as BT does not gives the same performance as cabled, these $250 speakers (actually paid about $100 / $150) I think gives a great price performance ratio and calibrated (Sonarworks) are transparent enough to enjoy my music and be able to easy pick differences between DACs.

Last but not the least, I really think (to me) the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is FAR FAR from being a Ferrari, to me is most like a Tesla, clean and technically BUT sterile and without a soul.

Just my 2¢
This is what I meant @gimmeheadroom .

May 2, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 23
Generally i don't think that a Dac creates the musicality in a setup. Neither does the headphone. I think it's most about the implementation and synergy which is pretty hard to get right accidentaly if you're new. If a R2R Dac doesn't fix it for you i'd look for an all in one system of streamer/dac and amp. These are pretty underrated imo. Just throwing together random pieces will most likely end in a lesser coherent sound in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back