Looking for advice on IEMs with my future DAP (FiiO M11)
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geisterfaust

New Head-Fier
Hello! Long time lurker, I've finally decided to be more active here.

Right now I have an iPod Video with iFlash but both the quality and stability of the device is not really hitting on me. I have more or less my DAP chosen, FiiO M11 after a long long research (mainly because the two SD card slots, so I can transport my complete music library).

At home I normally listen to vinyl but I've got a pair of AT ATH-M50x when I want to be quiet. Yes, they are not the best cans ever but I really like the sound signature they have. I'm more or less setup for headphones but I'm looking to buy some IEMs for commuting and for those long summer nights when the weather is too hot to wear headphones.

My budget is around 60 euro, and what I'm looking for is a detailed pair of IEMs since I like to hear as much as I can of what is going on on my music. The main genres I listen to are Black Metal (both poorly and well recorded hahaha), Electronic music (not looking for really bass heavy IEMs) and OSTs. I'm not excluding other genres, but I mostly listen to that type of music. I'm currently using the cheapest Xiaomi earbuds because those are the ones I had laying around.

I don't mind buying on Aliexpress, since I'm getting the FiiO there. A 4.4mm jack is nice since the FiiO has that output, but it's not 100% necessary. I've been looking these IEMs, but unfortunately I don't have a shop that carries them so I can try them:
  • TFZ T2
  • TIN T2/T3
Thank you!

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 9
For your budget I really like the KZ ZSX just a good sounding iem.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Hello! Long time lurker, I've finally decided to be more active here.

Right now I have an iPod Video with iFlash but both the quality and stability of the device is not really hitting on me. I have more or less my DAP chosen, FiiO M11 after a long long research (mainly because the two SD card slots, so I can transport my complete music library).

At home I normally listen to vinyl but I've got a pair of AT ATH-M50x when I want to be quiet. Yes, they are not the best cans ever but I really like the sound signature they have. I'm more or less setup for headphones but I'm looking to buy some IEMs for commuting and for those long summer nights when the weather is too hot to wear headphones.

My budget is around 60 euro, and what I'm looking for is a detailed pair of IEMs since I like to hear as much as I can of what is going on on my music. The main genres I listen to are Black Metal (both poorly and well recorded hahaha), Electronic music (not looking for really bass heavy IEMs) and OSTs. I'm not excluding other genres, but I mostly listen to that type of music. I'm currently using the cheapest Xiaomi earbuds because those are the ones I had laying around.

I don't mind buying on Aliexpress, since I'm getting the FiiO there. A 4.4mm jack is nice since the FiiO has that output, but it's not 100% necessary. I've been looking these IEMs, but unfortunately I don't have a shop that carries them so I can try them:
  • TFZ T2
  • TIN T2/T3
Thank you!

There are a lot of good CHIFI fare that are < $50 USD with great reviews that were recently released: TRN V90, KZ ZSX, CCA C12, BLON BL-03. U can check out or ask more at these threads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ith-reference-list-no-big-brands-here.872245/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/

The KZ ZSX and CCA C12 will probably be all rounders with good instrument separation, clarity and details that should suit most genres, they have the best consensus reviews so far from headfi.

TFZ T2 I don't have, but it is quite V shaped and very basshead with bright treble from reviews. Tin T2 is quite neutral with a lot of folks saying it is bass anaemic.

All the best and hope u find what u are looking for! BTW there's a mega sale on 11/11 coming up on aliexpress, and most of these sets above will probably be cheaper, great timing.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 9
If you want to have more opinions - My ventures into the sub-100$ range have been ok-ish.
First IEM that really impressed me was the $160 Moondrop Kanas Pro, then around $200 the Sony EX800ST and the JVC FD02 (modded)
Sub 100 I have/had the 1More Triple Driver, the Moondrop Blessing, a TRN V80 (I think) etc...
None of those sound really good to me, Blessing doesn't have the transparency and detail, 1More and TRN was too V-shaped with uncontrolled bass and harsh treble.
I might give the BLON BL-03 a try though based on reviews.

FYI - I like smooth, transparent and detailed sound with a solid and better faster bass, and I'm sensitive to harsh treble and thin mids.

So my recommendation would be to consider a used Moondrop Kanas Pro or KXXS, since at least for me, they really made a big difference and were a big step up from the cheap ones.

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 9
If you want to have more opinions - My ventures into the sub-100$ range have been ok-ish.
First IEM that really impressed me was the $160 Moondrop Kanas Pro, then around $200 the Sony EX800ST and the JVC FD02 (modded)
Sub 100 I have/had the 1More Triple Driver, the Moondrop Blessing, a TRN V80 (I think) etc...
None of those sound really good to me, Blessing doesn't have the transparency and detail, 1More and TRN was too V-shaped with uncontrolled bass and harsh treble.
I might give the BLON BL-03 a try though based on reviews.

FYI - I like smooth, transparent and detailed sound with a solid and better faster bass, and I'm sensitive to harsh treble and thin mids.

So my recommendation would be to consider a used Moondrop Kanas Pro or KXXS, since at least for me, they really made a big difference and were a big step up from the cheap ones.

Cheers!

Some of the folks in the BLON/CHIFI threads say the BLON BL-03 is not too far away in sound quality from the Moondrop KXXS, Tanchjim Oxygen, JVC HA FDX01 and at a fraction of the price. Can't say for sure as I don't own the latter 3.

There's this reviewer who compared all the current hypetrain CHIFI single DD IEMs:

The BLON has great timbre, tonality and coherency, but it loses out to some multi BA/hybrid sets in instrument separation, clarity and details. It's more suited for acoustic instrument predominant genres like classical, jazz, acoustic, vocals. It's not too good for very complex pieces and fast moving genres IMHO.
And the stock eartips +/- cables are quite rubbish, so do get some aftermarket tips available (check out the BLON thread for more details) - the nozzle of the BLON BL-03 is extremely short, so most westerners have a problem with fit on it. Most of us use longer nozzle tips like spinfits or use spacer mods.

Nevertheless, if u change the tips and cables it is a very good set @ sub $30 USD in terms of price to performance ratio. There's definitely better single DD IEMs out there, but it's really subjective if one wants to pay hundreds more for a marginal improvement in sound.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Some of the folks in the BLON/CHIFI threads say the BLON BL-03 is not too far away in sound quality from the Moondrop KXXS, Tanchjim Oxygen, JVC HA FDX01 and at a fraction of the price. Can't say for sure as I don't own the latter 3.

There's this reviewer who compared all the current hypetrain CHIFI single DD IEMs:

The BLON has great timbre, tonality and coherency, but it loses out to some multi BA/hybrid sets in instrument separation, clarity and details. It's more suited for acoustic instrument predominant genres like classical, jazz, acoustic, vocals. It's not too good for very complex pieces and fast moving genres IMHO.
And the stock eartips +/- cables are quite rubbish, so do get some aftermarket tips available (check out the BLON thread for more details) - the nozzle of the BLON BL-03 is extremely short, so most westerners have a problem with fit on it. Most of us use longer nozzle tips like spinfits or use spacer mods.

Nevertheless, if u change the tips and cables it is a very good set @ sub $30 USD in terms of price to performance ratio. There's definitely better single DD IEMs out there, but it's really subjective if one wants to pay hundreds more for a marginal improvement in sound.

Thanks for your take!
I have to say I seem to like DD better than BA in the lower price range (I loved the Sony IER-M9, but that's around $1000) but I am a little suspicious of the statement that the $30 BLON is so close to the $200 class. The Monndrop Kanas Pro was the first IEM that wow-ed me with it's clarity and smooth detail, and I have moved on (and up) since.
Now using the Sony EX800ST, the JVC FD02 (modded) and the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII, $180, $220 and $1200 MRSP respectively.
The $30 Moondrop Crescent DD also fits into this line up, but I am not taking it seriously.

The Crescent was also hyped as being close to the Kanas Pro, but I have to say I did not agree.
Yes, it has a pleasant frequency response and is not offensive, but it lacks the dynamics, detail and transparency that I am looking for.
I am using the Chord Mojo as source and I hear a very clear difference between these IEMs, with the AK T8iE being by far the most dynamic and detailed with the best sound stage precision of all of them.

I suppose if you listen to MP3 from a phone the difference would become smaller and not worth spending $1000, but even then I would maybe chose the $250 JVC FDX1 (from Massdrop) and be done. But I may give the BL03 a try just to see what the hype is about. The statements that it does not have the details or transparency of a Kanas Pro reminds of the Crescent though...(edit: I wrote Blessing at first but meant the Crescent)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your take!
I have to say I seem to like DD better than BA in the lower price range (I loved the Sony IER-M9, but that's around $1000) but I am a little suspicious of the statement that the $30 BLON is so close to the $200 class. The Monndrop Kanas Pro was the first IEM that wow-ed me with it's clarity and smooth detail, and I have moved on (and up) since.
Now using the Sony EX800ST, the JVC FD02 (modded) and the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII, $180, $220 and $1200 MRSP respectively.
The $30 Moondrop Crescent DD also fits into this line up, but I am not taking it seriously.

The Crescent was also hyped as being close to the Kanas Pro, but I have to say I did not agree.
Yes, it has a pleasant frequency response and is not offensive, but it lacks the dynamics, detail and transparency that I am looking for.
I am using the Chord Mojo as source and I hear a very clear difference between these IEMs, with the AK T8iE being by far the most dynamic and detailed with the best sound stage precision of all of them.

I suppose if you listen to MP3 from a phone the difference would become smaller and not worth spending $1000, but even then I would maybe chose the $250 JVC FDX1 (from Massdrop) and be done. But I may give the BL03 a try just to see what the hype is about. The statements that it does not have the details or transparency of a Kanas Pro reminds of the Blessing though...

Cheers!

Yes I remember chatting to you about the DROP JVC HA FDX01 and your great advise. Let us know your impressions once u get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back