Looking for advice on DSLRs
May 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mechgamer123

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first DSLR with a bit of early graduation money and get into photography in general. I've asked a few people I trust and they led me to the Nikon D3200, which looks quite nice. If there's a better camera out there for the money, do let me know. Otherwise I think I'd like to buy it. I am now wondering where I should actually purchase it; I live in a small town where the only place selling the camera is Wal-Mart (nearest Best Buy, Target, Costco, etc is an hour's drive away). Plus, WA happens to be one of those glorious states that charges tax for any online purchase made with an establishment in Washington. This means the state would collect an additional 8.9% tax if I purchased it from Amazon.
So far though I've looked around at a few different websites and it seems that Costco has the best deal: http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3200-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100007777.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=d3200&langId=-1&storeId=10301 but I would have to pay about $70 sales tax. Are there any other deals I'm overlooking that would be better than this? And that combo is already at the top of my budget, for what it's worth.
Thanks!

May 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 9
You may get more advice on Nikon stuff in the thread over in gear-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/222099/the-nikon-thread-talk-about-nikon-stuff-here

Being a Canon user, I'm not too familiar with Nikon's entry level dslr bodies, but the kit does come with all the basics to get started with.  

May 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Overpriced for what you get. I picked up a D3100 (very similar to the D3200) for 300 w/ the 18-55 lens. The lens 55-200 lens is typically 100 refurbished which is basically new, might have been returned or damaged, but mine was basically new. Bought a Tamrac bag similar to that one for 50, and SD cards are so cheap now you can get 32gb ones for 15. If you care about new products and don't buy refurbished then that isn't a bad deal, but I'd rather buy a cheaper camera and more expensive lens. Lens are much more important than the camera body.

May 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Just an idea, if the tax gets REALLY high, maybe get it shipped to a relative out of state and have them ship it to you, could save quite a bit.  If I were on a budget I would probably go for a 35mm 1.8 prime, 50mm 1.8 prime, and a d90, d300, or d7000 used.

May 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Just an idea, if the tax gets REALLY high, maybe get it shipped to a relative out of state and have them ship it to you, could save quite a bit.  If I were on a budget I would probably go for a 35mm 1.8 prime, 50mm 1.8 prime, and a d90, d300, or d7000 used.

Unfortunately, all my family members reside in Washington, and I'm impatient. 
tongue.gif

I think I'll go with a 35mm 1.8 prime and the kit lens to get started though. And I'll think about buying refurbished. I haven't really had good luck with refurbished products lately though.

May 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Unfortunately, all my family members reside in Washington, and I'm impatient. 
tongue.gif

I think I'll go with a 35mm 1.8 prime and the kit lens to get started though. And I'll think about buying refurbished. I haven't really had good luck with refurbished products lately though.

I bought my refurbished stuff from Adorama, they have a return policy on even refurbished gear, so you can buy with confidence. Again, I've had very good luck with Nikon official refurbished gear and you save a bundle, that is for sure. 

May 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 9
With any type of SLR. buy the system, not the camera. If you have always loved the Nikon lenses & accessories, then buy a Nikon camera. If you have always lusted after Canon L-lenses, then buy a Canon camera. Once you buy some additional lenses, you won't want to change brands - so buy into the system you really want. Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc - they are all great cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back