Looking for accurate open back headphones. AKG Q701 or AKG K612 Pro any good?
Nov 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tsubop

New Head-Fier
So I want a headphone that is open back (don't care about sound leakage), with a large soundstage, and good accuracy. Odds are I'll be using this headphone for movies, gaming, and music (electronic, classical, a couple other things). I also don't really care if the headphone has to be amped. So what would the good denizens of Head-Fi recommend for me? I've been looking at the AKG Q701 and the AKG K612 Pro so far, but I'm open to suggestion. I don't want to spend too much on these headphones. Around 200$ would be fine, but anything under that would be great. 
k701smile.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 10
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 10
The K612 is the more neutral and accurate of the two. The Q701 emphasizes soundstage and detail, and is a bit brighter. I found the K612 handles a wider variety of music genres better. Well one thing to note both basically need an amp and a good DAC is important. Also they really need good amount of use for the bass to come to life and until that point they won't handle electronic that well, many say they have a 400 hour burn-in period for a reason. The K612 is less picky with amps despite taking more power to drive. They do like good DACs as well. Both are very revealing of a system, so they will reveal problems or deficiencies with the system. They take some work to sound their best. The Sennheiser HD 558/598 will be easier to work with; the K612 and Q701 are not really suggested unless your willing to invest in a desktop amp and a decent DAC.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm planning on getting the Schiit Modi/Magni combo. Do you think that will be good enough to get the most out of the K612s? Looking into the K612s a little bit more, I may very well end up getting them. How are they comfort wise? I'll probably be using them for 3+ hours at a time so comfort is important. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 10
  I'm planning on getting the Schiit Modi/Magni combo. Do you think that will be good enough to get the most out of the K612s? Looking into the K612s a little bit more, I may very well end up getting them. How are they comfort wise? I'll probably be using them for 3+ hours at a time so comfort is important. 

That would do well with them, I have a Magni and it does well with them, I heard the Modi does well. Well I find them very comfortable. But comfort is something that depends on the person, comfort varies greatly from person to person. I use mine 3+ hours a day and no problems, they take a couple weeks to reach peak comfort.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 10

The Magni/Modi should be more then enough to drive the 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro headphones.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Straight out of a laptop the sennheiser 558 and 598 will be safer options, to enjoy either of the AKGs you'd need an amp.
Other open back headphones in under $200 include the beyerdynamic DT990 (and for slightly over budget the DT880).

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm sure they'll fit fine on me then. AKG has a bad habit of putting bumps on their headbands and I noticed the k612s didn't have those. Also, what are the earpads made of? Velour? And thanks for the sound card suggestion PurpleAngel, I'll look into that

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm sure they'll fit fine on me then. AKG has a bad habit of putting bumps on their headbands and I noticed the k612s didn't have those. Also, what are the earpads made of? Velour? And thanks for the sound card suggestion PurpleAngel, I'll look into that

True, the K612 doesn't have the bumps. The ear pads are velour. You could also consider getting the Vali instead of the Magni if you want a tube sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back