Looking for a worthy upgrade to the HD 650.
Apr 19, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 5
The HE-400i is an excellent choice as it has linear bass, an open presentation, even midrange, and extended but tame treble. I listen to my pair every chance I get and have been through a ton of different headphones. I enjoy it with all of the genres you mention and due it being 1/3 the cost of the headphones you are currently looking at it would save you some serious cash too.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 5
It seems like Planar Magnetic is the way to go. I believe the HifiMan HE-6 might be too difficult to drive, even with a Lyr. Since you've got a pair of narrow-soundstage cans, the HD800S could nicely complement the HD650 and show what a huge soundstage is like (IMO no other summit-fi headphone comes close to its soundstage width).

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 5
  Listen to all types of music hiphop, dance, classical and jazz predominately. 
Source is a dedicated Macbook to a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo. 

What would you guys recommend? HE1000? HD800S? LCD-X? 

Thanks for your help.

The closest flagship upgrade to the 650 would be Edition X by Hifiman. Similar "dark with detail" signature. Nothing harsh up top and great mids. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Longtime HD650 user here, who moved to Planar (Hifiman)

I started with the Hifiman HE-400s, and found it to indeed be a superior headphone to the HD650, but only marginally.  Both are GREAT headphones, but, I preferred the tighter bass control of the Hifiman, and while I found that it had slightly less in the 'presence' band, the overall uptick in the treble, gave a greater sense of 'air' and space.  

I am now moved on to the HE-560.  WOW.  This is a special headphone.  Now, It certainly is 'brighter' and more open than a pair of HD650, but, I don't find it overall to be a bright headphone.  I don't find it to be anywhere NEAR as lit up as say, a pair of Grado headphones.  Actually, I think it sounds pretty much spot on in the treble, and even seems to have some 'flatness' in the upper mid band that I find troublesome to my ears... say, 2000 to 3000 hz.  I like to call this the 'glare' range, and, this is where the Grado headphones about killed my ears....literally.  But that is a story for another time.  

So, I can also give a thumbs up to going Planar, specifically Hifiman Planar.  

I should probably quality my observations by saying I am 100 percent tube amplification here.  So, this certainly may be the reason I don't find the sound signature to be bright.  The HE-560 seems to be an excellent match with tube amplification.  

Oh, and speaking of that, while they aren't as difficult to drive as the HE-6, don't underestimate the power requirements of the HE-560.  I did.  I ended up needing to hookup directly to my tube amp's speaker outputs to get the drivers under control.  The headphone output on my tube amp, which is a dedicated output with its own output windings, just could not keep up without massive amounts of distortion.  But, now, I am sending about 15 watts of tube power into them, and all is great!! HEHEHE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back