Looking for a very specific type of Classical:
Aug 26, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I already listen to some classical, although most of it is modern/minimal and I would like to broaden my horizons.
I dont own any of the "classics", no Bach no Beethoven.
What I listen to is mainly Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Michael Nyman. I really enjoy the Movie scores as well.
However, I am curious as to what else is available out there; the sheer variety of classical genres can be quite intimidating for someone who is looking to try out something new.

Heres what im looking for: id like the music to be dark, layered and most importantly emotional (if that makes sense).
Ill never forget about 5 yrs ago I was in a cab in NYC, and this very powerful piece of classical music was on the radio and it flat out floored me. It was composed like an incredibly emotional yet dramatic movie.
Literally brought tears to my eyes on the first listen.

I want music that when I sit down with my beloved Grados for a listen, that it takes me to another world.
I dont know if it helps, but I adore bands like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Tool and Radiohead, complex Drum 'n Bass, tech-house, thick, layered trip-hop, romantic piano, Nu-Jazz...etc. I know thats all over the place, but maybe that can paint a better picture as to my musical tastes.

Im very exited about getting into some new classical, but I obviously have no idea where to start.

Recommendations?

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 47
If you like Glass, Reich et al, you may like John Adams if you don't already know him, although I wouldn't call him especially dark or emotional. For that kind of thing, and also as an introduction to Bach (who, if you get into him, will provide all manner of wondrous satisfaction for the foreseeable future), I recommend Bach's Actus Tragicus, and particularly this recording:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

If you specifically don't like Bach, or don't like vocal music, then it's probably not for you. But it is one of the first things that comes to mind when I read "dark, layered, emotional". This is deeply moving music, written (it's thought) for the funeral of Bach's uncle when the composer was just 22. It's astonishing how someone so young could have thought so deeply about death. It's also something that is relatively easy to get into, although it keeps on rewarding if you pay attention. It's coupled with some other early vocal works on that disc, including a great version of "Weinen, klagen, sorgen, zagen" which is also a superb minature.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
If you like Glass, Reich et al, you may like John Adams if you don't already know him, although I wouldn't call him especially dark or emotional. For that kind of thing, and also as an introduction to Bach (who, if you get into him, will provide all manner of wondrous satisfaction for the foreseeable future), I recommend Bach's Actus Tragicus, and particularly this recording:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

If you specifically don't like Bach, or don't like vocal music, then it's probably not for you. But it is one of the first things that comes to mind when I read "dark, layered, emotional". This is deeply moving music, written (it's thought) for the funeral of Bach's uncle when the composer was just 22. It's astonishing how someone so young could have thought so deeply about death. It's also something that is relatively easy to get into, although it keeps on rewarding if you pay attention. It's coupled with some other early vocal works on that disc, including a great version of "Weinen, klagen, sorgen, zagen" which is also a superb minature.

Sounds like the music is right up my alley but definitely not into vocals.

Falcon, what instruments are used in his music?
have you heard Polish Requiem?

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Sounds like the music is right up my alley but definitely not into vocals.

Okies, not for you then.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 47
I don't have his Polish Requiem yet. Penderecki uses a lot of different instrumentations -- the Threnody is written for a large string orchestra, but other works (e.g. Capriccio) call for instruments like saxophones, harmonium and musical saw.

As for John Adams, I heard Edo De Waart (long-time champion of the composer) conducting a concert of all-Adams work, and what had made the strongest impression on me was the Grand Pianola Music for two pianos, voices and a large orchestra. The musical idiom is fairly Reich like, but much grander and more "expressionist", so you may want to look for that.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 47
dark, layered and most importantly emotional

sounds like you need some russian/romantic era music!!
I'll just list a few classics that come into my mind....

Dark, Brooding layerd=

Sergei Rachmaninoff-
Concerto for piano number 2
Prelude for Piano in C#minor I think Op 3 no 2?? Learnt to play it as a child...memories (sigh)
Cello sonata no. 2 in g minor

more romantic:
Chopin
Any of his Nocturnes or preludes for piano

Liszt
Liebestraum (great melody maybe a bit too simple for you)
Consolation (ditto)
Hungarian Rhapsodies (um... not quite dark sorry but as a pianist i really rate his music)

Beethoven and mozart??

Beethoven
3rd movement (not the first! not the first!) of Moonlight sonata
Appassionata piano sonata
Piano concerto no.3 in c minor
Romances for violin

Mozart
Requiem (dark, layered and most importantly emotional)
Symphony no. 40 in G minor
Piano concerto in C minor
Piano concerto in D minor

If you want something more 'modern' as such so you can ease into more conventional music (Philip Glass!!!
blink.gif
)

Prokokiev (he wrote some film scores.. mebbe it was him?)
Piano Concerto no.3

Modest Mussorgsky
Pictures at an Exhibition

Quite different from Philip Glass and Steven Reich...(sorry most of the pieces involve piano but im a pianist) ...but who knows?? have a listen!!

(If you like, i can suggest more)

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 47
Excellent thread - I'm in precisely the same boat as you. Finally managed to 'find a way in' to classical music a short while ago when I heard a performance of Steve Reich's Drumming. But moving forward is bewidering as there is so much music in this genre.

It seems that I like the exact same style of classical as you (also prefering the non-vocal kind) and can recommend:

Shostakovich - some of his string quartets and in particular the 15th - the 2nd movement of which is beyond the moody and into the positively frightening!

Also there's Henryk Gorecki's 'Sorrowful Songs' - a very moving piece of music although it does contain a vocal - one which I actually like very much which is unusal for me.

Which Phillip Glass music do you think I should try?

Cheers,

Pluck

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck
Excellent thread - I'm in precisely the same boat as you. Finally managed to 'find a way in' to classical music a short while ago when I heard a performance of Steve Reich's Drumming. But moving forward is bewidering as there is so much music in this genre.

It seems that I like the exact same style of classical as you (also prefering the non-vocal kind) and can recommend:

Shostakovich - some of his string quartets and in particular the 15th - the 2nd movement of which is beyond the moody and into the positively frightening!

Also there's Henryk Gorecki's 'Sorrowful Songs' - a very moving piece of music although it does contain a vocal - one which I actually like very much which is unusal for me.

Which Phillip Glass music do you think I should try?

Cheers,

Pluck

Without a doubt pick-up his score for "the Hours"-its the album that changed the way I looked at music.
His Violin Concertos are excellent as well.

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 47
kwohy - good recommendations. While I love the Mozart Requiem and agree it fulfills the dark, layered, emotional criteria, I don't think it's something for someone who doesn't like singing. By all means kwitel, fire away with this poster's other recs!

What about Elgar's Cello Concerto? I would say rich rather than dark, but certainly layered, emotional, and blissfully free of chatter!

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 47
hi guys,

this is not complex at all.

"classical" music is often incorrectly labeled. just because a work is played by an orchestra-- or seems "classically" based doesn't mean that it comes from the mozart/haydn era and is "classical". "classical" is just a generic term often used to sum up "higher art" music (in one easy word).

with this said, and reading your listed preferences-- you should seriously check out some late romantic and early 20th century music. this stuff will blow your mind!

you might like:

richard strauss tone poems
any of the mahler symphonies
ralph vaughan williams symphonies (an english composer-- these are wonderful especially the 4th-5th! symphony-- very soulful)
hindemith (this can be incredibly grey and dark colored music)
stravinsky rite of spring (one of biggest masterpieces of all time, period)
hindemith symphonic works
holst the planets (this is a huge cult work-- very famous).. this list goes on and on..

these are just the orchestral works. not even going into the chamber works/ more intimate and often times more musically effective (for myself).

check out this link for a description of eras in music and art. this will make a ton of sense and help understand the evolutionary process of music/art genres:

http://www.dsokids.com/2001/dso.asp?PageID=460

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwohy233
dark, layered and most importantly emotional

sounds like you need some russian/romantic era music!!
I'll just list a few classics that come into my mind....

Dark, Brooding layerd=

Sergei Rachmaninoff-
Concerto for piano number 2
Prelude for Piano in C#minor I think Op 3 no 2?? Learnt to play it as a child...memories (sigh)
Cello sonata no. 2 in g minor

more romantic:
Chopin
Any of his Nocturnes or preludes for piano

Liszt
Liebestraum (great melody maybe a bit too simple for you)
Consolation (ditto)
Hungarian Rhapsodies (um... not quite dark sorry but as a pianist i really rate his music)

Beethoven and mozart??

Beethoven
3rd movement (not the first! not the first!) of Moonlight sonata
Appassionata piano sonata
Piano concerto no.3 in c minor
Romances for violin

Mozart
Requiem (dark, layered and most importantly emotional)
Symphony no. 40 in G minor
Piano concerto in C minor
Piano concerto in D minor

If you want something more 'modern' as such so you can ease into more conventional music (Philip Glass!!!
blink.gif
)

Prokokiev (he wrote some film scores.. mebbe it was him?)
Piano Concerto no.3

Modest Mussorgsky
Pictures at an Exhibition

Quite different from Philip Glass and Steven Reich...(sorry most of the pieces involve piano but im a pianist) ...but who knows?? have a listen!!

(If you like, i can suggest more)

Are there any piano compilations that I can get?
Have you heard the soundtrack from the movie "Shine"?-seems to have alot of what you just recommended.

I have Chopins nocturnes and just cant get in to it.
I know its very different and not in nearly the same league as far as complexity is concerend but I really like of all Ludovico Einaudis work.

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 47
Dark and brooding? Why hasn't anyone mentioned Beethoven's 7th yet? Kwitel, I think you'd love that one.

Also, the earlier recommendation of Bach is a good one. He has plenty of works without vocals. I didn't like Bach much for years, and then one day I "got" him. That was over 10 years ago, and I haven't been able to stop listening. Not all of it is dark and brooding, but you will find complexity and passion in all of his works.

Holst's "Planets" is another excellent recommendation. That grabbed me from the first listen and I've enjoyed it for years. Try it.

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 47
I second the Russians... Prokofiev, Rimsky, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, etc... They all made technicolor music that had a huge emotional range, and very sophisticated orchestration. It's a big jump from John Cage, but the Russians will lead you to the Germans, and the Germans will lead you to Wagner, to the later Vienna school, to the beginning of the 20th century... Basically, the century immediately preceding the one you're familiar with.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 47
Do yourself a favor, Kwitel...don't exclusively omit "vocals" from your possible auditions. Some of the best "dark and brooding" music out there are choral works. (Give the ever popular Carl Orff's-"O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana a listen and tell me that ain't some kickin' dark stuff.) Mozart's Requiem actually broke the ice with me as far as vocal works in the classical genre.

As to your specific request, I can easily recommend several Wagner pieces. For that matter, just about any popular composer has some work that fits your cup of tea, so audition with aplomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back