Looking for a Upgrade from Panasonic hje900's
Jul 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
I've been using the panasonic iems for a good while now and want to upgrade from them.
I like the phones alot but wanna see what else is out there.

I listen to alot of everything....rock,metal,rap,r&b,techno,easy listening the list goes on.
The hje's can sometimes be a bit bright. Not alot but some times. Not a huge deal or deal breaker but they could be tamed a touch.
I like the mids for the most part and the bass is decent.
The phone i would want to upgrade to should have large bass, not subwoofer like but defined controlled and plenty of it. The pana's have alot of bass but if pushed too hard can break up. I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Highs could be tweaked a touch like i said but i'd like a phone with a better sound stage as well.
I feel this is lacking on the hje's a bit.

I'd like to keep my budget under 300 if possible but am open to all suggestions. Also the phone must be a IEM and able to run off an ipods power. I use these at work and the gym and can not add an amp to the mix.

If you can let me know what phone i should look into as it would be much appreciated.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Had the HJE900's. I may be going out on a limb here never having heard the e-q5's, but from what I've read, I don't think they are gonna cut it for his bass requirement.

Also, wow, I couldn't even tolerate the Panasonics at a volume level even near where the bass would distort...

If you don't mind poor isolation, maybe the JVC FX500, or if you don't mind them used, maybe you can get a pair of the FX700 for around $300 on the for sale forum. those two i feel would have the closest signature to the HJE900's, but would also have similar treble, though many say that the FX700 are magical. Also maybe look into the Atrios with the MG7 driver... or the Radius DDM1 or DDM2...
I haven't heard any of these but they're mostly very well regarded around here. Also, don't know how hard any of these are to drive. Hope that gives you a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back