Looking for a tall and good looking chassis
Feb 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
For a project I am working on I need a chassis that can accommodate a 78mm high display PCB. Ideally I don't want it to be too wide either, because I want to stack it with an AT-HA5000 which is 270mm wide.

I've been looking everywhere but can't find anything suitable. ATI Research do some nice looking cases, but they are either too wide or just a little too narrow (to sit the HA5000 on). There are 19" rack size cases, but they are a bit wider than I would like. VT4C's AV228 looks good, but the front panel is pre-cut and silk screened. I want to have the front panel professionally cut and silk screened.

There are a few 1970s Dharma Initiative science lab style options but I want something that looks the part too
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I live in the UK, if it makes any difference.

Anyone got any ideas?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY!

This.

Order precisely the front panel you need from Front Panel Express (and enjoy the great exchange rate) then have the local metal/welding/fabrication place make you a custom cabinet for it. You will get precisely what you want and it shouldn't cost a fortune.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Audiokit!

Try Audiokit in Italy. Look for "chassis & cabinet" on their site, then look in the bottom frame for HiFi2000. Nice cases, with an option for a thick front panel too. They ship to the US as well (if that's where you are).

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Audiokit!

Try Audiokit in Italy. Look for "chassis & cabinet" on their site, then look in the bottom frame for HiFi2000. Nice cases, with an option for a thick front panel too. They ship to the US as well (if that's where you are).

Quote:

BTW, I live in the UK, if it makes any difference.

tongue.gif

BTW, you can order those HiFi2000 cases "direct" from the manufacturer @ modu

And they even accept PayPal.

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Uncle Erik: Sounds like a plan. I'll look in to it. Maybe I could find a carpenter who would do a wooden box.

bhjazz and bhjazz: I did check those guys out already, but took another look just now. The HiFi-2000 / Galaxy Maggiorato cases look like a good bet. I didn't realise they were the same case!

I think I will have to email modu about them. They don't list the slightly taller cases on their web site, only the 80mm ones. Having said that, although in English it says "Height: 80mm" on the Italian page it says "Altezza utile interna: 80mm" which would mean I have 2mm more than I need to fit the display
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the hints guys!

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Let us know what they say because I was under the impression that the Galaxy series was only available in 1U (Galaxy) or 2U (Galaxy plus) sizes and anything else was custom.

modu

What is the company in Taiwan?
I can never remember the name but I could swore they have a few cases that might fit the bill here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back