Looking for a T96 O-Type Transformer
Aug 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tvr2500m

New Head-Fier
A while ago I bought a Virgo headphone amp kit. It's the one designed by "Sirius" from the DIYZone. I need to source a power transformer for it. The one I've seen spec'ed for this kit (and one that would help with another project I've got) is the "T96" O-Type/torriodal transformer. It has 9V and 15V outputs. The Virgo just has one 15V input, so a transformer with only a 15V output would be fine, too.

Can anyone help me source something like this, or the equivalent?

Thanks!

- SJ

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 6
Any 2x15V transformer should do as long as it's rated 25VA or more (that's my best guess for the current requirements of the amp)
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: A T96 is really just a 2x9V and a 2x15V on the same core, so separate transformers would work just as well if you need all the voltages which the Virgo doesn't.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the replies. Those blue PCB transformers look cool
wink.gif

I mean, how much current is really needed here? What's the goal? I suppose you want an xformer that doesn't leave a circuit "starved" for current, but how much is needed? What VA or A numbers do I need?

On the PCB xformers, they look cool, I'm just not sure how to mount them? I get the chassis mount; just bolt 'em to the chassis. For the PCB mount xformers, I suppose I could just mount them on a little bit of "breadboard" with standoffs. Maybe in a separate enclosure?

And, are torroids what I want? Would other xformer types work as well, or better? R-cores are cool. I've taken a close look at the power supplies Dusty Vawter of Channel Islands Audio offers/-ed - the big Monolithic Master Power Supply (MPS) for the Audio Alchemy and Perpetual gear, and the VAC-1 for his current line of equipment. The VAC-1 uses an xformer similar to the MHDT DACs I have. None of these use torroids, but all use some other tidy-looking xformer.

Particularly with the VAC-1 "powersupply", it's just a transformer to step down wall voltage to 14V. Rectification and filtering happen elsewhere. This is what I need for the two DIY "kits" I'm working on. I need to provide them stepped-down voltage which then gets rectified and filtered in the kit's circuit.

So, how large a transformer do I need, and are there "good" options to torroids?

Thanks!

- SJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back