Looking for a Stax-compatible headset that has more treble, less and tighter bass, and is faster sounding than the SR-207
May 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Reticuli2

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a Stax-compatible headset that has more treble, less and tighter bass, and is faster sounding than the 207.

I like the SR-207 a lot, especially for casual listening with or without tubes, but it doesn't resolve layers and details or transients with the best when things get complicated in musical passages. It's a bit flabby and warm, with both the stock SR-252s and SRM-1 amps for monitoring purposes. I have some particular DJing gear that's already kinda flabby sounding, doesn't really come alive until a lot of volume, and struggles already with dense, complicated material, and the 207 makes it worse in some respects at modest volumes I want to run at in such situations. Great for recreational listening, but when practicing DJing or doing some other audio monitoring tasks at home, I'm wondering if there's an alternative electrostatic model that's a little more in the direction of the Etymotic ER4S without requiring me to cram those in my ears or crank the volume way up for long periods of non-recreational listening. This Stax stuff is a lot of money to not be using more than I do. If I can use half of what I've got and have another item with a more analytical sound, I might get more use of at least some of this equipment.

I assume this would involve another pair of headphones, but I'm open to other amp suggestions if you think changing that while sticking with the 207 would do the same thing. BTW, I realize that there isn't much out there that can exactly match a balanced armature IEM, but I mean little more lean and fast sounding. If you have some amazing idea in the form of a completely different headphone or something else, then please feel free to suggest that, too.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 2
Probably the Stax SR-L300. The newer Lambdas are supposedly brighter, leaner, and more "technical"-sounding than the old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back