looking for a solid headphone; for ipod touch; ambient and electronica; $100-150 price range
Jan 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

erwin

New Head-Fier

first of all i'm sorry for the new topic. i've read most of the recommendations but didn't really find my request specifically. and i'd like to be quite sure here, as i'm a student and $150 for headphones is quite an investment for me.

i'm looking for a headphone that'll give me great performances when listening to ambient and electronic type music, from 8-bit breakcore to mellow soundscapes, from aphex twin to stars of the lid. obviously i listen to other music as well, but let's say 75% of my library is that genre of music. and i love nothing more than to sit on the train or metro and be completely immersed in a breathtaking musical landscape of noise and ambient, soaking in layer after layer.

so here i am, asking what kind of headphone i should buy.

i think i want a closed headphone, as i want to hear nothing else than my music when on the train or walking through the streets. portability is a bonus, but i take care of my headphones so rather large models wouldn't bother me that much. i'll probably listen through my phones mostly on the road though, so a bit of durability is wanted.

thanks in advance

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 12
Have you thought about iem's?

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 12
Totaly off topic but I'm pretty new to the genre and love star of the lid, can you recommand a few band, I also like yellow 6, william basinski if that helps.

thx

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 12
thanks for replying but i do not like IEM's. at all. so i'm definitely sticking with cans - i might consider open headphones as long as the whole train doesn't have to listen to what i'm enjoying.

i'll gladly recommend you a couple of albums. if you like william, then you'll likely enjoy belong's octobre language. try the sight below's glider as well.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Jan 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 12
which kind of sound do you prefer your music with?

bass driven
mids above all. (focus in voice perhaps?)
bright ( lots of treble)

we could go from there.

if you say bassy some of the sony XB series (cant believe i am recommending these) but the punch in the bass is insane, and for electronica, even more.

if you rather the other two options, Denon HP700 has a delicious mid range but lacks the bom at the bass and also lacks punch.

Edit: Joker's thread is awesome, you might want to read about some DJ headphones there, DJ cans are usually easy easy to drive and they fold, so carry them is easy.

i would recommend you to read about these models:

(B15) Numark PHX Pro ($99) 

(B16) Ultrasone HFI-450 / Yamaha RH10MS ($70) 

(B17) Koss Pro DJ100 ($80)

(B18) Denon DN-HP700 ($99)

(A6) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($109)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Totaly off topic but I'm pretty new to the genre and love star of the lid, can you recommand a few band, I also like yellow 6, william basinski if that helps.

thx

Tim Hecker, Loscil, Aix Em Klemm, Biosphere, The Dead Texan, Deaf Center, Gas, Thomas Koner, Swod, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Ben Woods, The Tumbled Sea.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 12
well i guess this is what i'm looking for:

so let's say you're buying cans specifically for this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0) by aphex twin, and you have a $150-200 budget. you wish to listen on the road as well as at home, but you don't feel the need for smallish headphones, a bit of grandeur never hurt anyone, but on the other hand you don't want to look like a fool dressed up as mickey mouse as well. you've already got an amp at home, and a good one at that, and you listen unamped when on the road as you're incredibly forgetful and it's hard enough not losing your ipod. what phones would you buy?

(it's not specifically about the bass with aphex twin, it's the nuances, the little subtleness in his music)

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
well i guess this is what i'm looking for:

so let's say you're buying cans specifically for this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0) by aphex twin, and you have a $150-200 budget. you wish to listen on the road as well as at home, but you don't feel the need for smallish headphones, a bit of grandeur never hurt anyone, but on the other hand you don't want to look like a fool dressed up as mickey mouse as well. you've already got an amp at home, and a good one at that, and you listen unamped when on the road as you're incredibly forgetful and it's hard enough not losing your ipod. what phones would you buy?

(it's not specifically about the bass with aphex twin, it's the nuances, the little subtleness in his music)

Buy 2 headphones, 1 for home use....and another for commuting/outdoor use.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I forgot about this one:

i love it, but is a very dark bassy sound, not sire if you would like that.

d5676bef_IMG_0162Small.JPG

Equation RP15, just about 50$ good looking, solid, compact, detachable cord. not recommended if you have a XXL sized head. my head is medium and had to leave them some overnights with a book between. strong clamp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back