Looking for a Shure 840 upgrade
Apr 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #16 of 22
Nice Brooko, cool to see you trying to put yourself in the op's shoes like that. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #17 of 22
Well to quote dweaver words , the srh940 are good for "classical, jazz, soft rock, classic rock, accoustic music, Celtic, country, New Age, and several other genres I can't think of off the top of my head, but OK  to poor headphones for genres requiring a heavy bass presence".
I  don't know it's enough "all rounder" for op.

And I  know that the hd600 sucks  for fast paced music, so it's not as if they are as much all rounder that brooko claim they are.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 22
Another +1 on the DT880/HD600 and yet another -1 on SRH940. I don't like classical or jazz on the SRH940 - bass hole (yes even for classical). The SRH940 is an upgrade in terms of clarity, treble and soundstage over the 840 but loses at almost everything else. I recommend you to listen to the 940. If you look at the SRH940 thread, you will find groups of disappointed users and fans. I belong to the former group.

On the HD600, it's no slouch. Anyone who heard them will not consider them slow paced. The HD600/DT880 is a substantial upgrade - you will be impressed.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
And I  know that the hd600 sucks  for fast paced music, so it's not as if they are as much all rounder that brooko claim they are.

Oh - how much time have you spent with the HD600?  Or the Beyer DT880?  Or the SRH840?

I have owned all of them (SRH840, SRH940, DT880, HD600)

The HD600 does fine with rock - it's my go-to headphone at home.  If OP wants something for faster paced metal, the DT880 would be better.  But for an all-rounder, I stand by my HD600 suggestion.

Now - can we stop this bickering about the SRH940.  Seems every time you and I post we get into the same old debate.  It's not about what you like or like - but rather what's likely to be best for the OP.

@Homeless2 (OP) - you should be able to pick up a second hand HD600 for around $250 in the FS forum.  You can probably get a Beyer DT880 around same money.   For $215 you can pick up an NFB-12.1 amp/dac.  If you go this way, don't forget to post back your impressions later.

Conversely - I've seen the SRH940 in the FS section for $180-$230 lately.  If you go the 940 route don't get an amp for a start - and definitely not the NFB-12.1 (IMO it would be too warm).  Personally I think it would be a mistake - but I'm not you - and you may like it just fine.  Sometimes you just have to experience these things.  If you picked it up cheap enough, you could always resell it on the forums without too much loss.

Good luck in your eventual choice anyway.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 22
I've read most of the posts in the Shure 940 thread and have come to the conclusion that it's not much if any of an upgrade over the 840, so I probably won't be getting those.  The HD600 seems like a strong contender, but it's on the pricier side (which is why I assume you suggested used).  Will have to think about that one.  Based on Sonic's guide, the DT series seems like a good choice and there's even a comparison to the hd600 which suggests that the dt880 may even be better based on his opinion.  The AKG Q 701 is an interesting headphone since the majority of the people in the the dedicated thread think it's the needed fix to the k701/702, but like the earlier post stated it requires a good amp.

Does anyone know how well the Xonar STX works as an amp?  I've read some positive things about it and to my knowledge it has the ability to drive the hd600 and dt880, but not sure how well it works with the Q701.  The $150 price tag seems enticing as it somewhat fits in my budget.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
The AKG Q 701 is an interesting headphone since the majority of the people in the the dedicated thread think it's the needed fix to the k701/702, but like the earlier post stated it requires a good amp.

Just minor changes due to the presence of the little Q  logo near the openings.  You know there, as soon as there's a little change in sound signature , people claim it's an improvement.
The q701 is not safer choice than srh940, as many people claimed they sound similar (if you don't consider sounstage) . And the q701 is harder to drive.

I'd take then the dt 880 (even if I  didn't listen to them yet), I'm fed up with all the fanboism anything from  sennheiser get
wink.gif
 Everything I've heard yet, from senn is not particulary fast, and I dislike this.

The best thing would be to test before you buy, because even if a headphone have a lot of praise, you might not like it.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
I've read most of the posts in the Shure 940 thread and have come to the conclusion that it's not much if any of an upgrade over the 840, so I probably won't be getting those.  The HD600 seems like a strong contender, but it's on the pricier side (which is why I assume you suggested used).  Will have to think about that one.  Based on Sonic's guide, the DT series seems like a good choice and there's even a comparison to the hd600 which suggests that the dt880 may even be better based on his opinion.  The AKG Q 701 is an interesting headphone since the majority of the people in the the dedicated thread think it's the needed fix to the k701/702, but like the earlier post stated it requires a good amp.

Does anyone know how well the Xonar STX works as an amp?  I've read some positive things about it and to my knowledge it has the ability to drive the hd600 and dt880, but not sure how well it works with the Q701.  The $150 price tag seems enticing as it somewhat fits in my budget.

You could try asking Zombie_X (he's the one with the big thread on the differences in Beyer models).  He has the Xonar STX, owns the HD600, and has heard or owned most of the Beyer range.  He can probably give you a good steer on this.  Just send him a PM or post in his thread.

Sorry - but I can't help regarding the Xonar STX, as I've never heard it.  And unlike some, I'd rather not comment on anything I haven't heard, or owned 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back