Looking for a replacement IEM cable under $50
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #31 of 38
I think that he was just looking for a replacement one and not trying to get better sound quality anyway.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #32 of 38
Yes but I already mentioned a stock cable and also a 1964ears stock cable is the same as most other CIEM manufacturers. Though if that's the manufacturer of his CIEM's then that's probably the safest bet as you know how it is
Quote:
I think that he was just looking for a replacement one and not trying to get better sound quality anyway.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:
Yes but I already mentioned a stock cable and also a 1964ears stock cable is the same as most other CIEM manufacturers. Though if that's the manufacturer of his CIEM's then that's probably the safest bet as you know how it is

Yes, you are right. However, I don't think that I will ever get those UE clear ones which turn green. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #34 of 38
But all stock clear go green. Most manufacturers offer black cables though.
Quote:
Yes, you are right. However, I don't think that I will ever get those UE clear ones which turn green. 

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 38
I'm sorry but you're a mug if you think that silver cables make any difference. Whilst attaining my audio production degree pretty much every single lecturer I ever had laughed at the idea that the element used for the cable made any noticeable difference to the sound quality. It's simply a con. The conductivity of copper is about 93% that of pure silver. Okay ... so what that means is that you get 7% more volume out of your headphones. Prey tell, why and when that would be useful? Okay, so you're not having to crank the O/P of your equipment quite as much which introduces less harmonic distortion and aliasing (if that is an issue within the source). However, O/Ps on almost any system only introduce lots of HD in a close range within the upper limit of the total range (if they allow this to happen at all - O/Ps for phones and laptops are designed to have a relatively clean signal at maximum gain) and this is certainly the case when monitoring in a professional situation with desks or OP Amps. If you're in a studio or if you're at a gig you usually have at least three gain stages before the audio gets to your headphones and a simple case of gain staging can create a very clean, high level (if necessary) signal in your CIEMs. Conductivity could make a difference over a very, VERY long length of cable. Over a 1000ft cable you'll see a 2 Ohms more resistance in a copper cable over a silver cable, and anything nearing a 1000ft cable is very rarely used (the longest I've seen used at a open air concert was 200m to connect the main stage FoH desk to the FoH). Considering how expensive copper cables cost for any live situation where a cable of this length is neccessary (some COPPER cables cost $500 a foot) we can see how insanely ridiculous the costs would be if one was to use silver cable in a live application. We're talking thousands of dollars a foot. So, we can rule conductivity out as an important factor in cable construction (once the conductivity of copper or there abouts is achieved) which is essentially the only important difference to the signal itself.

Additionally, I've seen group delay tests online which seem to indicate that silver introduces more phase distortion at certain mid-low frequencies. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen as these tests were carried out by an amateur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back