Looking for a replacement for Shure SRH840s with an identical sound profile that is more durable
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Irongrave

New Head-Fier
My 2nd set of Shure SRH840s broke last week and I'm done with Shure. I essentially want an identical sound (if possible) with a more durable build and similar level of noise isolation.

Budget is up to $399 but would prefer closer to $199.

I started looking at the beyerdynamic DT770s and DT880s (and realize the 880s are semi-open so weaker bass but possibly better mids / high end), but not sure how these stack up in comparison to the SRH840s.

I really, really like the sound profile on the SRH840s and the noise isolation and comfort are must-haves. Halp.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 12
My 2nd set of Shure SRH840s broke last week and I'm done with Shure. I essentially want an identical sound (if possible) with a more durable build and similar level of noise isolation.

I started looking at the beyerdynamic DT770s and DT880s (and realize the 880s are semi-open so weaker bass but possibly better mids / high end), but not sure how these stack up in comparison to the SRH840s.

I really, really like the sound profile on the SRH840s and the noise isolation and comfort are must-haves. Halp.

I don't really have a headphone suggestion but more of a question. Based on Crinicle's review I bought 840A's on a whim off amazon last night and they'll be here this afternoon. What specifically is breaking on these for you? I was hoping you could give me details so I can be more careful with mine once I get them. The plastic build is a bit concerning for sure.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 12

Go for the DT 1770s if you can afford them, better build and sound quality than the 3 digit models.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't really have a headphone suggestion but more of a question. Based on Crinicle's review I bought 840A's on a whim off amazon last night and they'll be here this afternoon. What specifically is breaking on these for you? I was hoping you could give me details so I can be more careful with mine once I get them. The plastic build is a bit concerning for sure.

Thanks.
The inner part of the headband where it connects to the phones. I'm not sure what it's made out of but it seems really weak. If you look at the Amazon reviews for them, it's a common occurrence.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 12
The inner part of the headband where it connects to the phones. I'm not sure what it's made out of but it seems really weak. If you look at the Amazon reviews for them, it's a common occurrence.
I'll make sure to be careful with the headband. They arrived an hour ago (840A's) and I'm listening now..... where's the bass? I was told these are for bassheads.... they're totally not. I enjoy them and will keep them but where's the bass? I've got them on a Fiio K7 so it isn't a power problem...

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 12
I'll make sure to be careful with the headband. They arrived an hour ago (840A's) and I'm listening now..... where's the bass? I was told these are for bassheads.... they're totally not. I enjoy them and will keep them but where's the bass? I've got them on a Fiio K7 so it isn't a power problem...
They have decent bass, but are more neutral, IMO. Definitely not basshead phones.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 12
There is a replacement headband on Ali.
Have one in hand, not the last word in quality but suspect it will fix the issue.

@BrokeAudiophileMan Just for some perspective I used 840s exclusively for about 2 years before the plastic cracked.

I forgot to ask, did you have the 840 or the newer 840A? I got the 840A. Been listening for a couple of hours. Impressed for the price.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 12
They have decent bass, but are more neutral, IMO. Definitely not basshead phones.
Ya I don't know why the reviewers I watched on the youtubes mostly said they had punchy bass. The bass is definitely there but they're not "basshead" phones like my Momentum 4.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 12
I decided to go with another pair of 840s (got 840A instead, read that build quality was improved in some reviews) because apparently I'm a masochist, going to use these and send the other ones in for repair because they are still under warranty.

Money is tight right now, but once things ease up a bit, I think I'm going to try the SRH1540s, they seem really solid, both figuratively and literally -- build quality seems much higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back