Looking for a replacement for HD555
Nov 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

madferit

New Head-Fier
So it seems like my 8 year old 555s are finally starting to give in. Since I'm very used to my 555s and haven't really used anything but them for the past 8 years I went right off into comparing 558s to 598s. I am not an audiophile, but my take on 555s has always been that they're a well balance all-rounder. I mostly listen to various indie stuff and play games a lot. At the moment I'm choosing between 558s and 598s but I'm open to other suggestions. My budget is 200$, but you know, the less the better, so if you think that 558 could be a better deal for a non-audiophile then I'd rather go with them.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 15
What's your take on the 558 compared to the 555? I listened to a 598 a couple of years ago after owning a 555 for many years (I still have it) and was disappointed; the treble seemed harsh to me, and the sound generally lacked the sheer balance of the 555. I don't mean that the 598 had more treble, but that the treble was harsh, wiry. I don't mind generout treble and currently use a Beyer DT880.

To me the 555 and 595 are classic headphones. They had a unique mix of qualities and gave a very good sound without being too demanding of the listener. To my ears Sennheiser haven't improved on them in that price range.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 15
I've never tried the 558 or 598, and due to poor range of products at local stores I will be making the purchase blindly. I don't even think there's a store that has a display for anything other than Monster, Bose etc.

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 15
"I went right off into comparing 558s to 598s".

Sorry, I took it from the above that you had heard both phones and directly compared them.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 15
After doing some research I'm leaning towards the 558 due to the price, since there is minimal difference between the two and 558 is 80$ cheaper. I'm also gonna drop Beyer DT-990-Pro-250 into the equation, it falls within the 200$ range.

Also, bit off topic here, but hey, this is my topic, right?:). I've never used amps or alternative DACs and have always sticked to onboard audio. I'm considering getting an inexpensive sound card with my new headphones (something like Xonar DG). So far I've gathered that getting a sound card would be better cause I play games. Please, put me in the right direction, I'm a total noob here.

Come on guys, I could use some help.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 15
bump.

At this point I'm also considering Grado SR80e or 125e. I've read that they're good for rock, but since most of the music I listen doesn't really classify as guitar music (stuff like Vampire Weekend, Wild Beasts, War on Drugs, Tame Impala) and some hip hop occasionally (Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown etc.) I'm in a bit of a pickle here. Also, Grado are on ear HP and I think that I'd be more comfortable with full-size over ear. Basically, I'm looking for an all-rounder that would be both good for various types of music and gaming.

At the moment I'm choosing between Senn 558 or 598, Grado 80e or 125e or Beyer DT-990-Pro-250.

Advice, pleeease.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 15
I had the similar hd595 120 ohm for years and loved them, My fav headphone 
they broke and i sent them back to sennheiser for repairs and they just sent me brand new pair hd598 as a replacement and I hated them.....completely different sound...For me the hd598 had even less bass than the hd595
I'd look out for a  good secondhand pair of hd595 or save up  for hd600 if you really like the sennheiser sound and want an upgrade in sound.. The hd600 sounds very good with  little eq :) if you love the bass
like pp312 says I don't think sennheisers bettered  the hd595 since 

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 15
  I had the similar hd595 120 ohm for years and loved them, My fav headphone 
they broke and i sent them back to sennheiser for repairs and they just sent me brand new pair hd598 as a replacement and I hated them.....completely different sound...For me the hd598 had even less bass than the hd595
I'd look out for a  good secondhand pair of hd595 or save up  for hd600 if you really like the sennheiser sound and want an upgrade in sound.. The hd600 sounds very good with  little eq :) if you love the bass
like pp312 says I don't think sennheisers bettered  the hd595 since 

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way I could get my hands on 595, plus I'm not too big on second hand stuff. I am not a basshead but I feel like my 555 could benefit from a bit more punch. I may or may not be a fan of Senn sound, I've never really heard decent HPs apart from my 555, audiophiles are inexistent in my circles, mostly it's just people who think that Beats are the best headphones out there.

HD 600 looks tempting and all but I don't think I'm ready to spend 400$ on HP. At the moment I think I'm settled on the 558. Probably going to be ordering them in a couple of days, or perhaps wait till black friday. (btw any idea if HP are going to be on sale?)

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 15
I owned the 555s, and it was my first entry into this world (though the ath m50s, the next headphone, actually brought me into the hobby to the point where it became part of my daily life).

the 598s (which i bought 2 months ago), are a big step up from the 555s in comfort, and music.

the 598s are a great all around headphone and you can usually find it on Amazon for like $180.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 15
  I owned the 555s, and it was my first entry into this world (though the ath m50s, the next headphone, actually brought me into the hobby to the point where it became part of my daily life).

the 598s (which i bought 2 months ago), are a big step up from the 555s in comfort, and music.

the 598s are a great all around headphone and you can usually find it on Amazon for like $180.

Thanks kcazbarach. I'm considering cashing out extra 80$ to buy 598 instead of 558, just not sure if it's gonna be worth it. From what I've read, 598 are not necessarily an upgrade to 558, rather different.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 15

I'd be interested to have you expand on the "music" part of that statement. Could you also include the type of music you listen to.

A couple of thousand words will do. 
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 15
@madferit,

yea I can't help you there because I haven't used the HD 558s.

as for pp312

I listen to alot of music genres, some EDM (Zedd, Avicii,etc), some techno, some classical, some music from soundtracks from movies, pop like bruno mars, michael jackson, and some indie stuff such as Delorean, tv on the radio. some rap (from tupac and Biggie, very casual stuff)

If your main focus is on EDM and or rap, it's probably not the best fit but I also came from using the ad900s alot where the bass wasn't there so I've been content.

disclaimer: I also went from he 400 to Hd598 (the hd 598s are my all arounder) so that might be why I feel a certain way. I enjoy my hd598s, but i would never say they're the end all be all like that one thread from years ago.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 15
I owned an HD555 about 7 years ago. Great headphone, and I remember, after having owned many a studio pair of closed backs, what a joy they were. The sound was quite addictive.

There is always going to be a better headphone, but unless you are comparing them, the HD5xx series are good enough to lose yourself in the music. I'd say stick with the 558 at the lower cost or take a bigger step up to the HD650 or HD600.

The total cost of ownership of an HD650/600 will run $500-700. HD558 are good value $180 new(ish) or even better price used, with no amp requirements. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Thank you all for replies. I'm not sure what happened but I just went out and grabbed the V-MODA XS today. I was looking for over-ear open, but bought on-ear closed, I must have OCD.

Still planning on buying an HD5x8 though, gonna wait till the black friday I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back