Looking for a replacament to my Akg K712 PRO (HD 660S, 990PRO, etc)
Feb 24, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 28
Haven’t not seen it but just finding on a web search I would think yes. Could be wrong but think so .

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 28
Haven’t not seen it is soo bad. My bad.

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 28
Have not seen it.

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 28
Duh

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 28
I have another question, and I know it is a totally noob question, but i could not find any information about it.

Is it possible to connect my Sabaj DA3 Dac to an amplifier such as the O2?
Yes, sure.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 28
Hi Pacommmm,

I am interested what you went for. I actually own DT990 600 Ohm, one of the propositions here, and I am actually thinking to replace them with AKG 712Pro, so the opposite to you. While I generally love DT990, their default signature, while fune, is not that good for gaming as too much bass, too little mids, at least that what I can hear. Otherwise those are amazing headphones in its price range.

I had DT1990 and would not recommend them for gaming at all, sure those are good in general sound-wide, but the features to price ratio is not that good, are quite tight, gets very warm inside and are heavy, so not good for long gaming sessions. I may just create different EQs for each game and stick to them.

Let me know.

And yes, as long as you have same connectors (or use cable adapters), you can connect any DAC to any AMP.

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Hi Pacommmm,

I am interested what you went for. I actually own DT990 600 Ohm, one of the propositions here, and I am actually thinking to replace them with AKG 712Pro, so the opposite to you. While I generally love DT990, their default signature, while fune, is not that good for gaming as too much bass, too little mids, at least that what I can hear. Otherwise those are amazing headphones in its price range.

You should check DT880 then.

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 28
I will. I dunno why but I have always though those are not open... One thing would be a comfort, do those come in the Edition (home use comfy ones) version as DT990 as well please?

Cheers

DT880 is semi-open which in real life means open. (No isolation)
They are much more neutral than DT990 so you get less mid-bass bloom, more midrange presence and slightly softer but still very present and extended treble response.

DT880 PRO is the studio version. It has a coiled cable and it's typically 250 Ohm.
DT880 Premium/Edition is the home version and comes with 32, 250 and 600 Ohm.
Just skip the 32 Ohm version.

K712 is bassier/warmer than DT880 with less treble extension.
If you like your DT990 but want a neutralish version of it, DT880 is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 28
I agree with Me x3, the DT 880 is mostly open and basically seems entirely open once you're wearing it and listening to it.

Although, the AKG K7xx is on Massdrop right now for $199.99, and I liked it more than the DT 880 (I owned both). The K7xx has a bigger sound stage with better imaging, it is less bass anemic, and has more detail retrieval.

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #26 of 28
I agree with Me x3, the DT 880 is mostly open and basically seems entirely open once you're wearing it and listening to it.

Although, the AKG K7xx is on Massdrop right now for $199.99, and I liked it more than the DT 880 (I owned both). The K7xx has a bigger sound stage with better imaging, it is less bass anemic, and has more detail retrieval.

Cheers, people say K712 Pro is way better than K7XX, same monies pretty much as well, what do you think? Is the K7XX better build or something?

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 28
Cheers, people say K712 Pro is way better than K7XX, same monies pretty much as well, what do you think? Is the K7XX better build or something?

The K712 Pro will be the better built one if anything, being made in Austria while Massdrop stuff always has sacrifices made in build quality to reach a lower price. In terms of sound, they seem extremely close and the main difference might even just be the pads. This is a good read:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion.752994/

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 28
These days AKG K712 is made in Slovakia (a few kilometres away from Austria).
Bass on K712 should be flatter relative to the more bassy K7XX so you get an overall drier more detail oriented presentation.
K7XX is still quite far from being a bass-head type of headphone, so keep that in mind for the sake of perspective.

AKGs and Beyers have a different sound signatures. In terms of soundstage size and layering along with overall control the AKGs are generally very good and superior to the Beyerdynamic DT880.
What DT880 offers is an extremely uncoloured sound from low bass to upper midrange (pretty much the same response as HD800/HD800S) bundled with extremely fast and extended treble response that's not as raised as on DT990.

Among neutralish headphones K712 and DT880 can be considered apples and oranges. K712 is more of an all-rounder and also a very technical performer.
In my view DT880 is more of a niche headphone due to its cooler (but not necessarily tighter) sound and more analytical/extended/faster treble.
Your preferences are key here. Coming from DT990 best chances are the AKGs will sound opaque at first time, but they do many things really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back