Looking for a recommendation for a new pair of IEM's
Feb 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gkbros

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Sort of new to the audiophile game (this is my first post). I have a pair of ATH-M50X's and am looking for a pair of IEM's for more portable use. I tried the Bowers and Wilkins C5-S2 and found them waaayyy too bass heavy. I've also tried the BeoPlay H3, and found them ok, but they sound a bit too clinical and are sort of missing something. Furthermore, I found that they weren't noise isolating AT ALL. I've been looking for a replacement, but not able to find something that seems suitable. The HifiMan Re-400's seem ok but apparently lack bass (I'm not a basshead but I need some. The M50's have a decent amount, but I wouldn't mind a touch more) and build quality. The Shure Se-215's and 1More Triple Driver also caught my eye but have too much low end as well according to reviews I've been reading while the RHA MA750i's may have a bit too much treble. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 18
  Hey guys,

Sort of new to the audiophile game (this is my first post). I have a pair of ATH-M50X's and am looking for a pair of IEM's for more portable use. I tried the Bowers and Wilkins C5-S2 and found them waaayyy too bass heavy. I've also tried the BeoPlay H3, and found them ok, but they sound a bit too clinical and are sort of missing something. Furthermore, I found that they weren't noise isolating AT ALL. I've been looking for a replacement, but not able to find something that seems suitable. The HifiMan Re-400's seem ok but apparently lack bass (I'm not a basshead but I need some. The M50's have a decent amount, but I wouldn't mind a touch more) and build quality. The Shure Se-215's and 1More Triple Driver also caught my eye but have too much low end as well according to reviews I've been reading while the RHA MA750i's may have a bit too much treble. Does anyone have any recommendations?

You might check out the Dunu Titan 1, Fidue A73,  and the VSONIC GR07. Maybe one of those would work for you.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the recommendations! I've looked into the GR07, and the Titan 1's and while both a competent, they are lacking in either soundstage or isolation (since the Titan 1 is a half in ear). I'll look into the Fidue A73.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 18
I personally have a pair of Beyerdynamic Byrons. These are the first(?) pair of IEMs from Beyer's brand new 'Byron' line of earphones. I really love how these sound and look, but they might be on the low end of your budget. Worth a shot to check out I suppose.

Source

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 18
Hey guys,

The 1More Triple Driver are not bass heavy to me at all and tend to be a bit more laid back. They have decent soundstage and detail. If the bass is there they will reflect it but not much more.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Hey guys,

I think it would be best if you can try them personally. Basing your choices off reviews is good, but usually it works better when you know how one of them sound like, at the least. I say the MA750 is leaning to the warmer side for me, which contradicts what you have read. Sorry if this confused you, but I felt it would be better to tell you this before making a mistake.

And I second buke9's opinion on the Triple Driver. Balanced and smooth, not as bass dominant as the SE215.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 18
I think it would be best if you can try them personally. Basing your choices off reviews is good, but usually it works better when you know how one of them sound like, at the least. I say the MA750 is leaning to the warmer side for me, which contradicts what you have read. Sorry if this confused you, but I felt it would be better to tell you this before making a mistake.

And I second @buke9's opinion on the Triple Driver. Balanced and smooth, not as bass dominant as the SE215.

Of the two which ones would you recommend? The MA750 or the triple driver?

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 18

Anything under around $200 works well for me. Doesn't matter if they're a lot cheaper as long as the SQ is great

Ah well, then you might want to go for something better than the M6 pro's, i use them as i use my IEM's on my bike everyday in all weather, so they have a tendency to brake.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 18

Of the two which ones would you recommend? The MA750 or the triple driver?

1More Triple Driver should be better choice I think. 1More sounds smooth, effortless, not harmful, not tiring your ears with surprise loud sounds in some tracks as some others do. It's giving detail in a sweet and relatively quiet background.

And it's not bassless or heavy bass. I love it's way of processing bass. If you want to listen music not bass so 1More TD is very beautiful piece for you. With 1More TD bass kicks are not coming in front of the vocal or main music. The bass with 1More TD is at the place where it should be, at the "background" "at the base". 

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Well, I'd definitely look into the Shure se425-cl, though they might a tad over your budget. The Sennheiser momentum ie are well worth your consideration and money too and lastly: I was shocked how great the Zero Audio tenore sounded for just 50 bucks. If you get the chance they are well worth checking out. I'm not the biggest audiohile on here, but I've done my fair share of research and these would be my go to's.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 18
  Well, I'd definitely look into the Shure se425-cl, though they might a tad over your budget. The Sennheiser momentum ie are well worth your consideration and money too and lastly: I was shocked how great the Zero Audio tenore sounded for just 50 bucks. If you get the chance they are well worth checking out. I'm not the biggest audiohile on here, but I've done my fair share of research and these would be my go to's.

I probably will look into the momentums. Also wondering about the RHA T20s. They're a lot pricier than the budget range i've been looking at but are they worth it?

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 18

I probably will look into the momentums. Also wondering about the RHA T20s. They're a lot pricier than the budget range i've been looking at but are they worth it?

I have Sennheiser Momentum In Ear, too. And I have only one word to say, it's not same class with 1More Triple Driver. If you reduced your choices to 3 (1More, Momentum and RHA MA750i) remove Momentum from the list. I don't have RHA MA750 but, I have Momentum In Ear with me now (I have for a review) and you can be sure 1More vs RHA MA750 is a better duel for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back