Looking for a Power Conditioner
Apr 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are these?
http://www.psaudio.com/products/duet_power_center.asp

Can they compare to the highly-valued UPC-200?

I just received my Duet yesterday. I don't have the UPC-200, but I do have the Ultimate Outlet (UPC is effectively 2 UOs in one enclosure) and the Soloist mentioned are effectively a miniturized UO I believe.

The Duet so far out of the box is warmer and more analogue sounding than the UO (with my amp plugged in). But right now I'm missing a bit of the delineation from my UO (it is a bit more clinical -- that's why my sources are plugged into my Audioprism instead -- but has a better sense of clarity). But I'll have let the unit settle in before making further evaluations.

However, and this is an important one...the Duet has a sensitive clamping mechanism. It's already shut things plugged into it twice (once last night and once this morning). I live in an NYC condo building so the power grid is bad (hence the need for conditioning), but to have the unit shut off like that repeatedly can become an annoyance (even if it's protecting the equipment from potentially harmful swings)...oh wait, as I'm typing this the unit shut off again!
rolleyes.gif

I think I'm going to plug my UO back in, at least for my main system.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Duet yesterday. I don't have the UPC-200, but I do have the Ultimate Outlet (UPC is effectively 2 UOs in one enclosure) and the Soloist mentioned are effectively a miniturized UO I believe.

The Duet so far out of the box is warmer and more analogue sounding than the UO (with my amp plugged in). But right now I'm missing a bit of the delineation from my UO (it is a bit more clinical -- that's why my sources are plugged into my Audioprism instead -- but has a better sense of clarity). But I'll have let the unit settle in before making further evaluations.

However, and this is an important one...the Duet has a sensitive clamping mechanism. It's already shut things plugged into it twice (once last night and once this morning). I live in an NYC condo building so the power grid is bad (hence the need for conditioning), but to have the unit shut off like that repeatedly can become an annoyance (even if it's protecting the equipment from potentially harmful swings)...oh wait, as I'm typing this the unit shut off again!
rolleyes.gif

I think I'm going to plug my UO back in, at least for my main system.

Interesting...I just ordered the duet. Hopefully I won't experience any of your problems (I don't live in a large city so I shouldn't encounter extreme voltage flunctuations...I hope).

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 24
I had Matthew at SACDmods build me one and it is fantastic! After reading many posts were people stated they don't matter, at least in my case it does. I am a firm believer in having one now.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 24
Check out the BPT clean power center (on Audiogon)
It is a little more expensive but worth it ($250).
I use one of their 20 amp balanced power conditioners and it was like upgrading a component as far as the changes they make. Plus they are good guys.

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Well the Duet is working so far. Just limited in what it can power. aka It won't power my 24" LCD but it does ok with my old Sony ES Cd player.

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 24
Why not try a brickwall inline ahead of your duet. I think you will be surprise with the amount of ac conditioning the brickwall provides itself.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are these?
http://www.psaudio.com/products/duet_power_center.asp

Can they compare to the highly-valued UPC-200?

I am using one. Very good. It is a more advanced design compared to UPC-200. Very good value too.

F. Lo

May 3, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had Matthew at SACDmods build me one and it is fantastic! After reading many posts were people stated they don't matter, at least in my case it does. I am a firm believer in having one now.

Did you specify exactly what you wanted or did he already have something designed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back