Looking for a portable cans with a great sound
Jan 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
Firstly, i have an Audio-Technica CM700Ti, and i absolutely love their sound.
However, they've seem to be finally broken, so i should purchase another pair. I'd possibly get another CM700, but maybe there are some alternatives?
From what i've understand, there is no earbuds that can compete with CM700 (okay, maybe yuins are great, but i dislike their sound, i want something more open and with a greater highs - just like CM700). Also, i don't want IEMs because of usability reasons. So it seems that competition goes to a portable cans (i dislike full-size cans for the same usability reasons, they're too huge and heavy and i just can't imagine myself walking on the streets or in subway with these).
Are there any good portable cans with a sound similar to CM700, for less than, let's say, $200?

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Man, if you like your phones, buy a new one. That would be the best choice. That;s the reason why i keep Ety 4p 3 years & during this time i had much price phones. They always were great to my ears & it's the most importan. if AT fit your ear in terms of sound - go for it again :)

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 10
The problem is that, although i like CM700 in terms of sound, i hate it for the other reasons, and i fear that new CM700 will die as soon as these. Maybe there are some more durable headphones with a similar sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Or maybe clip-ons (i'm not sure about sound isolation of these...)

PS: And i'm using CM700 without that foams, if it matters. Sound becames less wide and clean with that foams.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm currently using JVC HA-M750s which I'm quite enjoying. Not the best sound, but for me it's very enjoyable sound signature. The bass is certainly plentiful and as long as you aren't trying to deafen yourself then they can handle it well. Mids are a bit muddy but highs are fine. Basically after I got used to them I found my IEMs to be very cold, although I have been listening to a lot of techno and deep house lately which benefit greatly from the warm, bass focused sound.

Basically I'm rambling here, check out this fantastic thread by /joker/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...5-09-a-433318/

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

What exactly are your "usability reasons" with regard to IEMs

That they're going to deep inside your ears
wink.gif

Quote:

Basically I'm rambling here, check out this fantastic thread by /joker/

Thank you for the link!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Hmm, it seems that grados sr225/sr325 are great both by SQ and usability (these are relatively light and small).
I'll try to test these, but there are some questions:

1) They say that with grados, as opposed to "closed" cans, people around you can hear your music. Is that sound leakage greater or smaller than with ordinary earbuds? I mean, that i don't disturb anyone with my CM700s now, wouldn't this change with grados?

2) Do they feature the same "cold" signature as CM700?

3) How big is the difference between SR225 and SR325?

4) How important is the warranty? SR325 are going for about $400 here, so i'm in doubt if i should make a purchase right in the store where i'll audition it (of course, if i will decide to purchase sr325 at all) or order these used on head-fi or ebay or something...

Thank you for your answers
smily_headphones1.gif
and, please, forgive me my bad english...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back