Looking for a pdcp with great sound quality and some anti-shock
Aug 10, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 19
IMVHO, the best PCDP sound (actually, the best portable source, period) I have heard to this date can be found in the Sony D-NE1, but YMMV. I've auditioned a few of the sony vintage players including the D-25S and the D-777, the higher-end Panasonic PCDP's, the newer Sony D-EJ2000 and the Sony D-EJ925. I've also listened to the 4th Gen. Ipod 40gig and the IHP-120, and the D-NE1 was still the winner by more than a small margin. And it's got the Sony G-Shock protection (with two settings, 1 and 2). Even when using setting 1, which offers less protection, but more than enough, sound quality isn't compromised a bit!

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 19
I busted out a battery pack adapter i had with a long gone aiwa MD player - you put 3 AA batteries in it, and it plugs right into the DC jack of the D777. Awesome. It leaves space for the line out to be used, and battery power i SWEAR sound better than using a wall wart. i'm flowing this thru a cmoy into my koss cans - low fi synergy.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
The Sony D465 is highly rated here for its anti-shock abilities, but I owned one and had a lot of difficulty with that. The player would skip whenever the bag I was carrying it in, over my shoulder, bounced at all. Of course, not long after I purchased it, it got much slower and less successful at reading discs, then stopped altogether. Do you think I had a bad unit?

Same here but I think it's one of the pitfalls of owning an old player.. According to some old DIY threads, I have a tracking problem with mine...but I don't think I'll ever get around to fixing it. My D-465 has problems reading discs even when still.
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #19 of 19
i have a d-335 that's not too shabby either. it has about 5 seconds of esp iirc and the headphone out is strong enough to drive my er4p's to a pretty loud level. the only bad thing about this pcdp is that they're hard to come by. i rarely see them on ebay anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back