Looking for a pdcp with great sound quality and some anti-shock
May 7, 2004 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bayerdynamic

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pcdp with great sound quality and at least some sort of anti-shock. I've tried the Sony D311 and although the sound was pretty good, the lack of anti-shock was very annoying, for exmaple when I had to restart the CD just because I was going downstairs.
Size doesn't really matter, nor does the price
smily_headphones1.gif
I just want to have the ultimate pdcp if such a thing exists...

May 7, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 19
I'd be interested in this choice too, as I'm getting tired of my Karma and would like better audio quality on the road.

May 7, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 19
No it doesn't really exist. The Sony D-465 has the best actual anti-shock out of the older PCDPs. The Denon DCP-150 (reportedly) doesn't skip that much (but it doesn't have anti-shock). I've bounced mine a bit and it didn't skip, but I've never taken it in a car before. But then again it isn't exactly portable. The D-EJ2000 has nice sound quality and probably won't skip.

May 7, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
No it doesn't really exist. The Sony D-465 has the best actual anti-shock out of the older PCDPs. The Denon DCP-150 (reportedly) doesn't skip that much (but it doesn't have anti-shock). I've bounced mine a bit and it didn't skip, but I've never taken it in a car before. But then again it isn't exactly portable. The D-EJ2000 has nice sound quality and probably won't skip.

I have also been trying to get my hands on one of those denon pcdps (especially the decp 150). I haven't seen any Sony 465 either.
The Sony 777 should have some anti-shock but I haven't heard this unit for myself yet.

May 7, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 19
I'd recommend the D-777, D-E905, or D-E900. The D-E905 and 900 has ESP2 anti shock and the D-777 has ESP anti shock. All three sound excellent. The D-777 is a warm sounding PCDP of three with excellent detail and sound stage. The D-E905 or D-E900 (basically both the same except one is the US model and the other an Asian model) has slightly wider sound stage and isn't as warm as the D-777. Both are very compact.

May 8, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 19
I have a D-E905 and I've gone jogging with it in my hand and it hasn't given me much trouble. The 10 second ESP2 is nice, especially after having a D-25 which skipped when I blinked. The headphone out is nice, but the line out is superb. Truly a wonderful PCDP as opposed to the "transportable" CDPs out there.

May 8, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 19
I've jogged with my D-321 (3 sec ESP) in my hand. All that really shows is what a good shock absorber the human arm can be.

AFAIK, the best sounding digital music player that you can actually run with (with your hands free) is a Sony TCD-D100 DAT player. Its sound is about on par with a D-211 and you could go bungee jumping with the thing. I do have a D-E905, but I haven't tried running with it. Note that you pretty much have to use the line out on the 905 if you don't like the thin, bright sound of modern Sony PCDPs.

May 8, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
I'd be interested in this choice too, as I'm getting tired of my Karma and would like better audio quality on the road.

I've been using a Philips AZ6832 ... sounds great. But I just got a Karma because I travel a lot and I need the real estate. The Karma isn't bad sounding at all.

May 8, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojira
I've jogged with my D-321 (3 sec ESP) in my hand. All that really shows is what a good shock absorber the human arm can be.

Well you can jog keeping your arm still.... but that starts to be a pain in the butt. I'm talking about letting your arm swing normally without having to look like you're carrying a glass of water while you run. Also, the line out volume on the D-E905 is sufficient for any headphones you'll be using (you won't need an amp, you can just plug your headphones directly into the line out). Hope that helps!

May 9, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
Also, the line out volume on the D-E905 is sufficient for any headphones you'll be using (you won't need an amp, you can just plug your headphones directly into the line out). Hope that helps!

Please bear in mind that in doing that, you could potentially damage the line out, as you're asking it to drive a load... and that isn't what its designed to do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Please bear in mind that in doing that, you could potentially damage the line out, as you're asking it to drive a load... and that isn't what its designed to do
smily_headphones1.gif

oh wow... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
eek.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I'd recommend the D-777, D-E905, or D-E900. The D-E905 and 900 has ESP2 anti shock and the D-777 has ESP anti shock. All three sound excellent. The D-777 is a warm sounding PCDP of three with excellent detail and sound stage. The D-E905 or D-E900 (basically both the same except one is the US model and the other an Asian model) has slightly wider sound stage and isn't as warm as the D-777. Both are very compact.

Are these older "vintage" type units or are they available to purchase new somewhere?

I ask this because as we know, the Best Buy/Circuit City places have really poor selection of headphones and then after finding this website, I was amazed that there was a whole other world of headphones out there for sale. Thanks.

I currently use a Sony Psych which seems okay but I was wondering if there were other more worthy (PCDP) units.

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 19
No... the only real place for these PCDPs to be found these days is on ebay, and in pawn shops....

To me, for truly portable, the D465 wins it... better anti-shock than either the D777 or the D-E905, and sounds about half way inbetween the two other units
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 19
The Sony D465 is highly rated here for its anti-shock abilities, but I owned one and had a lot of difficulty with that. The player would skip whenever the bag I was carrying it in, over my shoulder, bounced at all. Of course, not long after I purchased it, it got much slower and less successful at reading discs, then stopped altogether. Do you think I had a bad unit?

Aug 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
Are these older "vintage" type units or are they available to purchase new somewhere?

I ask this because as we know, the Best Buy/Circuit City places have really poor selection of headphones and then after finding this website, I was amazed that there was a whole other world of headphones out there for sale. Thanks.

I currently use a Sony Psych which seems okay but I was wondering if there were other more worthy (PCDP) units.

As mentioned by Duncan there is no retail outlet that's online or locally that sells these vintage PCDP's new. Your best bet is to check ebay or the FS forum regularly as they usually show up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back