looking for a pair of powerful headphones
Jan 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 33
loudest headphones i have, hd 650s. they can get insanely loud without ever distorting, while most of my other headphones tend to have a smaller sound window before they start sounding bad.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #17 of 33

Quote:
loudest headphones i have, hd 650s. they can get insanely loud without ever distorting, while most of my other headphones tend to have a smaller sound window before they start sounding bad.

Really? even the LCD2's?

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 33
dang i got a lot of feedback overnight. i think the hard part will be tracking down these headphones to actually try.. i wonder if any stores sell these, or if theyre online only. i see the 650s are nearly $500, really makes me appreciate the HD25-1 II's price tag lol.. 
lets say as far as $200 dollar headphones go, would you all agree HD25-1 II is the best way to go? its a tall order looking for high quality with a reasonable pricetag lol -__-.. 

also guys, i went ahead and ordered that E6 amp, not sure what ill do with it, but for $24 its not breaking the bank and i think it could be fun to have!

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #20 of 33
dang i got a lot of feedback overnight. i think the hard part will be tracking down these headphones to actually try.. i wonder if any stores sell these, or if theyre online only. i see the 650s are nearly $500, really makes me appreciate the HD25-1 II's price tag lol.. 
lets say as far as $200 dollar headphones go, would you all agree HD25-1 II is the best way to go? its a tall order looking for high quality with a reasonable pricetag lol -__-.. 

also guys, i went ahead and ordered that E6 amp, not sure what ill do with it, but for $24 its not breaking the bank and i think it could be fun to have!
i remember buying aportable amp but don't use it because my headphones don't need it... if you look around you can probably find the hd650 for around 300$ used in good condition.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 33
I'll have to respectfully disagree with Gwarmi up there. The TMA-1 may not be perfect (and why should it be at $200?), but I really like the sound signature of it. Give it a try if you have the chance; apparently some Apple stores are carrying it now, although I haven't been able to find any that do in my area.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
I'll have to respectfully disagree with Gwarmi up there. The TMA-1 may not be perfect (and why should it be at $200?), but I really like the sound signature of it. Give it a try if you have the chance; apparently some Apple stores are carrying it now, although I haven't been able to find any that do in my area.

Every other headphone even at $100 I've tried is far, far better - you might like the sound signature but I still feel
 that recommending a $200 headphone that sounds like a $20 headphone is just a tad reckless.

Would you say it's comparable to the M50, Shure 840, or Ultrasone 580 for clarity for example? (excellent way
 of finding out that the driver is cheap and nasty)

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 33
I'll readily admit that I don't have a ton of experience with different headphones, but likening the TMA-1 to a $20 headphone is absurd. It's a marked improvement from, say, my HD 280s, and listening to it next to a low-cost (but still good-quality) headset like the PortaPro or PX 200 would immediately show the ridiculousness of your comparison.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
I'll readily admit that I don't have a ton of experience with different headphones, but likening the TMA-1 to a $20 headphone is absurd. It's a marked improvement from, say, my HD 280s, and listening to it next to a low-cost (but still good-quality) headset like the PortaPro or PX 200 would immediately show the ridiculousness of your comparison.

Improvement in what exactly compared to the PortaPro?

Hey at least AiAiAi have a sense of humour - name of their TMA-1 special Edition?

You could not get a professional comic to come up with a more hilarious yet apt name for these
smile.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
 Improvement in what exactly compared to the PortaPro?

Clarity? Bass power? Overall sound quality?

Anyway, I'd hate to sidetrack this thread with a pointless argument. I simply wanted to bring OP's attention to the headphone as an alternative to the HD 25, and if he has the chance to listen to the two of them he can decide for himself.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
Clarity? Bass power? Overall sound quality?

Anyway, I'd hate to sidetrack this thread with a pointless argument. I simply wanted to bring OP's attention to the headphone as an alternative to the HD 25, and if he has the chance to listen to the two of them he can decide for himself.

That is wise advice
smile.gif

Look I heap a lot of burden on that headphone because I love vocals and rock and it just does not deliver for me in that sense, club track 'mehh, it might
 appeal to some',.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #28 of 33
The thing is, does the OP wanted ear blowing volume to get hearing loss or just that he is using it outside and cannot listen over the noise? If it is the latter, I recommend you getting some IEMs to block out external noise instead of clanking the volume up over it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #29 of 33
Once again (LOL) HD25-1 II: isolates like IEMs. 
evil_smiley.gif

Well, there's also the Beyerdynamic T50p and DT1350 as far as good-sounding, compact, and good-looking (to me, of course - heck, they're two of the very best-looking to me) headphones (you will probably want to get these used to stay within or close to your budget).  There's also the beautiful ATH-ESW9, but that's a step down or two from HD25/T50p/DT1350 in terms of sound quality.

HD650?  Out of a Samsung phone?  Are you people serious?  No, not even the E6 will suffice at all.  You can scratch that one off of your list, soraxd.

Anyway, back to HD25, T50p, ESW9, and DT1350.  Then there's the infamous ATH-M50, but I know little about it, and then SRH840, but these are not quite as compact.  The Shures will benefit from the E6 most of all the ones mentioned in the thread, I guess.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 33
HD650 out of any portable amp is not a good idea.

IEMs will definitely go louder than full-size headphones. Loud enough to give yourself enough hearing damage in a short enough time that in a few years you won't have to ask what headphones you need. Ever.

The Stax SR-001 system is also silly loud, and I'm not even sure if it's capable of distorting. Probably the best sounding portable option you can get short of high-end custom IEMs, but comfort could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back