looking for a pair of powerful headphones
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

soraxd

New Head-Fier
i currently own a pair of Bose On-Ear headphones (if theres a more specific name for them i wasnt able to find it), which i bought for $200 a year and a half ago. the sound quality is great, but the volume is meh.. ive checked out a buddy's Beats Pro, and man theyre LOUD.. more than double the volume level of my Bose. but the $300 dollar or $400 dollar price tag is really discouraging.. so i did what anyone else would do, and started some research.. well the consensus was that Beats is way too over priced and the quality isnt as good as something called "Sennheiser", which everyone seems to love.. 
does anyone know more about these guys?
really what im looking for, is a pair of headphones that can boom, but dont compromise quality. i dont want to spend more than a few hundred.. anyone know what i should be looking for? thanks guys!!

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 33
The volume difference is representative of the impedance of the headphones. Generally people who aren't properly introduced to higher quality audio won't know that amplifiers are used to overcome this issue. The Beats Studios and Pros actually have built in amplifiers, but they are of somewhat low quality and have a slightly audible hiss. 

I'd recommend getting the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 with a Fiio E6. You're probably looking at a little over $200, but well worth it IMO. You'll probably be wondering why you didn't do the same research last time you went and got the Bose phones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 33
thank you Mr. Falcon sir. so id be using an external amp? i can amp up my source (my galaxy s phone) up by 6db, by changing the phones AUX output. however even on the great Bose headphones, its still slightly distorted when the high bass hits. would i have similar problems with Fiio E6? 

another thought, i didnt even know such things exist as external amps.. if i got one of these, might my bose headphones give that boom, without distortion?

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 33
Or you can get a Sennheiser HD25-1 II and not worry about external amps.  Very compact headphone with great isolation, too.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 33
You want decent DJ headphones. Will go loud without an amp. And yes, the HD25 is a de-facto standard among DJs and broadcasters and generally in the audio industry, for a good reason.

Incidentally, you should read up on Noise Induced Hearing Loss, and maybe get a sound meter app for your phone, just so that you know how much you'll hate yourself when you're older.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 33

my concern with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is that they are smaller, which makes me wonder. my Bose headphones are those size, and while the quality is great, the sheer volume isnt.. do they pack as much power as the over ear headphones?

another question, what would happen if they paired the Sennheiser HD25-1 II with the E6 amp?

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 33
If you're referring to the Bose AE2's, well they have lousy sound quality and noticeable distortion.  Most Bose products are considered far overpriced and are definitely not audiophile headphones.
Any headphone with built in amplifiers and are battery operated are generally worthless.  You'll find that Beats get little to no recognition here and are considered little more than overpriced 'bling'.
Sennheiser makes phenomenal headphones (HD 650, HD-800 etc), but will definitely not give you the 'boom' you're looking for since they produce quality sound in all frequencies.
If all you want is muddy, booming overblown bass, then stick to Beats.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
If you're referring to the Bose AE2's, well they have lousy sound quality and noticeable distortion.  Most Bose products are considered far overpriced and are definitely not audiophile headphones.
Any headphone with built in amplifiers and are battery operated are generally worthless.  You'll find that Beats get little to no recognition here and are considered little more than overpriced 'bling'.
Sennheiser makes phenomenal headphones (HD 650, HD-800 etc), but will definitely not give you the 'boom' you're looking for since they produce quality sound in all frequencies.
If all you want is muddy, booming overblown bass, then stick to Beats.

so do you think the Sennheiser HD25-1 II will give me sound levels higher than the Bose AE2? id like to track down a pair and listen to them. are they any louder than the Bose tho? 

and im really curious about this E6 amp, would they distort the Sennheiser headphones if i used them with them? because for 26 bucks, i think ill buy one just to have, it seems like an awesome handy little gadget. do you all agree the E6 is the way to go?

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 33
You have to understand that headphone amplifiers are NOT meant to increase volume level of headphones whatsoever.
They are used to drive headphones more efficiently and are required for high impedence headphones to provide quality sound.
The E6 is a great little amp designed for portable headphones required to drive certain headphones properly (NOT loudly).

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:

my concern with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is that they are smaller, which makes me wonder. my Bose headphones are those size, and while the quality is great, the sheer volume isnt.. do they pack as much power as the over ear headphones?

another question, what would happen if they paired the Sennheiser HD25-1 II with the E6 amp?

E6 shouldn't cause problems, although HD25 doesn't need it.
HD25 is punchy and it can go louder than you will ever need it to without an external amplifier straight out of your Samsung phone.
It does not have the kind of overblown bass that you generally get from Beats and Bose, so it may take some getting used to the improvement in control and clarity versus those others.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 33
lol alright ive been looking around all day, and everyone speaks highly of the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. tho to be honest, i dont care for the look that much.. tho the Adidas version does look much better. im wondering, with fingers crossed, does anyone know of a pair of headphones with just as good quality, but a different style? 
 ​
also are over the ear headphones usually louder than on ear? i really appreciate all the help guys, a few minutes of your expertise is a whole day of my research, haha

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 33
Well, you may consider the Sennheiser HD 428 "Over the Ear", 32ohm impedance which I use with my BlackBerry 8220 phone driving 20 miles to work 4 days a week.
After 50 hrs. burn-in I am very happy,Cheers!

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 33

Just don't get the AiAiAi TMA-1's - no mids, really grainy highs from the cheap drivers, so-so mid bass that other headphones do better
 in the first place, no soundstage - easily the most over rated headphone of late - oh but they're designed by a well known Danish design house and they
 look very urban so if that matters then go for them anyway 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back