Looking for a pair of hi-fi bassy "fun" headphones
Nov 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Royal Amethyst

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been playing around with the idea for a while, and I think it's time for me to settle on a pair of "fun sounding" phones that'll fit my desires the best. Something that emphasizes bass a lot, while remaining tight, controlled, and quality. Also having the minimum possible sacrifice to the mids.
For starters here's a list of a few of the headphones that I already have:

beyerdynamic T1
beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm
Sennheiser HD 600

As for what I listen to: a lot of classical, orchestral, opera, punk rock, metal, electronic/dance, some classic rock, some modern pop.

I've been considering some of the headphones with Foster drivers like the Fostex TH-X00, TH-610, TH-900, E-MU Teak, Rosewood, or Ebony. I'm strongly considering the E-MU Ebony right now because they are currently on drop, and are aesthetically sexy. Ideally I'd like a pair of headphones that expands on the bass of the DT 770s that I own, and combines it with the clarity and soundstage of the beyerdynamic T1 if possible. I want boom, but I don't want to sacrifice quality and openness. A tough order for a closed-back headphone, I know.
I am okay with bright highs. I want to avoid recessed mids but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

I want to keep it under $400 if possible. If not, they better be the best damn headphones I'll own, next to my T1.

So which headphone has the best ideal combination of my wants in this instance? The Fostex, or some other brand I haven't researched?
I just want 1812's cannons to break my skull.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 22
I do not know of a headphone at any price,let alone under 400.00 that has the soundstage of a T1 and skull thumping bass.The two traits are typically mutually exclusive.

Awhile back I was looking for something that had great impact with good mids too...Fostex TH X00 was recommended to me.I never did end up getting them so I cannot comment on them.

From the headphones that I currently own or have owned in the past the pair that has the best combo of soundstage+bass slam is the Fidelio X1,but if youre looking for T1 type clarity and soundstage+SZ2000 slam from them you will be greatly disappointed.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 22
I upgraded from dt770 pro 32ohm velour to fostex th-xoo ph. Imo, fostex has more bass quantity and better texture. The sub bass of the fostex is much much better. Dt770 is lacking in the sub bass area. The highs on the th-x00 are not that piercing. This was my biggest deal breaker on dt770. Imo, th-x00 is a worthy upgrade. The emu teak is slightly better than the th-x00 but emu teak has less bass.

However, th-x00 sounstage is non existent. Emu teak is better in this regard

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 22
I upgraded from dt770 pro 32ohm velour to fostex th-xoo ph. Imo, fostex has more bass quantity and better texture. The sub bass of the fostex is much much better. Dt770 is lacking in the sub bass area. The highs on the th-x00 are not that piercing. This was my biggest deal breaker on dt770. Imo, th-x00 is a worthy upgrade. The emu teak is slightly better than the th-x00 but emu teak has less bass.

However, th-x00 sounstage is non existent. Emu teak is better in this regard

That's more or less what I've come up with as well. TH-X00 has more bass, but the E-MU has better soundstage. Also reading through the comments of the people who received their TH-X00s, there's a lot of quality control issues with the construction. I think I'd rather trust E-MU, who has Creative backing them. At the expense of some bass. Still, I hope it'd be more impressive than the DT 770, right?
Shame that it's about $100 more than the TH-X00.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 22
What you want is Taction Kannons not for sure on release date they won't Crack your skull but the prototypes could blur your vision but I'm sure they cranked them down a notch.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 22

That's more or less what I've come up with as well. TH-X00 has more bass, but the E-MU has better soundstage. Also reading through the comments of the people who received their TH-X00s, there's a lot of quality control issues with the construction. I think I'd rather trust E-MU, who has Creative backing them. At the expense of some bass. Still, I hope it'd be more impressive than the DT 770, right?
Shame that it's about $100 more than the TH-X00.

I think you should go for the EMU-teak. I was planning to sell mine but it's too much hassle at this point considering I'll be upgrading to LCD 2 sometime next year.

Also, if you can get your hands on the Purple Hearts wooden cups from emu which costs an addition 100 bucks, you should get better bass response.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 22
What you want is Taction Kannons not for sure on release date they won't Crack your skull but the prototypes could blur your vision but I'm sure they cranked them down a notch.

With all due respect,from the prototype I heard they did not impress me in the least,except for bass,and again with all due respect they WOULD crack your skull.

James has said that what I listened to was not the way the production version would actually sound,and as an early bird buyer,I hope he is correct.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 22

With all due respect,from the prototype I heard they did not impress me in the least,except for bass,and again with all due respect they WOULD crack your skull.

James has said that what I listened to was not the way the production version would actually sound,and as an early bird buyer,I hope he is correct.

I really hope you're speaking metaphorically and not literally. Are they safe for humans?

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 22
  I really hope you're speaking metaphorically and not literally. Are they safe for humans?

LOL,of course your skull wouldnt literally split open and zombie food wouldnt spill out,but the impact and shaking was truly powerful.

The rest of the sound signature however didnt appeal to me...again i hope when they do release them the mids,highs and soundstage will improve

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 22

I joined then cancelled. I wish I hadn't but I'll wait for some reviews and will be going to CanJam SoCal in April so I'm sure they will be there . The bass is crazy though.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 22
+1 on crazy bass

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for all the helpful ideas guys. I might have to eat my own words a bit and say the Taction Kannon may be a bit much for me. Bass is great but I'd hate to drown out everything else.

Quote:
  I think you should go for the EMU-teak. I was planning to sell mine but it's too much hassle at this point considering I'll be upgrading to LCD 2 sometime next year.

Also, if you can get your hands on the Purple Hearts wooden cups from emu which costs an addition 100 bucks, you should get better bass response.

Well for $20 I could upgrade to the Ebony or Rosewood E-MU cups, which I hear are also great.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Well for $20 I could upgrade to the Ebony or Rosewood E-MU cups, which I hear are also great.
It's a tactile driver in it with a dynamic driver also it doesn't effect the sound of the main driver.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 22
It's a tactile driver in it with a dynamic driver also it doesn't effect the sound of the main driver.

No the Fostex and EMU teak headphones are sonically dependent on the type of cup it has. The harder the wood, the harder the bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back