Looking for a pair of cans to go along with my HE-500s.. Suggestions?
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bl42ed0

Head-Fier
I'm using the HE-500s (with EF-5) for everything at the moment but I know they're not the best for every type of genre. Any suggestions on a pair of cans (and perhaps an amp) that would go well with the HE-500s?

Type of music I listen to (in order):
-Electronic
-Rock (Mostly Classic)
-Pop
-Indie
-Classical
-Hip/Hop (very rarely)

My only criteria is to stay within $400-$500. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 7
No ideas? Really? Is the HE-500 that good that the opposite would be a pair of Monster Beats? 
darthsmile.gif

How about the Alessandro MSPro's?

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I'm using the HE-500s (with EF-5) for everything at the moment but I know they're not the best for every type of genre. Any suggestions on a pair of cans (and perhaps an amp) that would go well with the HE-500s?

Type of music I listen to (in order):
-Electronic
-Rock (Mostly Classic)
-Pop
-Indie
-Classical
-Hip/Hop (very rarely)

My only criteria is to stay within $400-$500. Thanks!

It would be nice to see what other think the opposite, counterpart, or compliment of the HE-500 is.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 7
The HE-500 is a good all-rounder with a balanced frequency response and good bass extension, so why not something much more colored?

I have a Grado HF-2 and an Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM I use as a counterpoint to my HD 800 and HE-6. They're more limited in genre bandwidth and some would say much less accurate, but sometimes you need to have a more intimate presentation or more forward vocals. 

Alternately, you can take a chance on a vintage Stax system if you can find one for a good price, I consider the SRM1/MK2 and SR404 I picked up recently to be better than most mid-fi headphones due to the fast decay and zero grain. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Ultrasone Pro900, compliments any Hifiman really good. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
The HE-500 is a good all-rounder with a balanced frequency response and good bass extension, so why not something much more colored?

I have a Grado HF-2 and an Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM I use as a counterpoint to my HD 800 and HE-6. They're more limited in genre bandwidth and some would say much less accurate, but sometimes you need to have a more intimate presentation or more forward vocals. 

Alternately, you can take a chance on a vintage Stax system if you can find one for a good price, I consider the SRM1/MK2 and SR404 I picked up recently to be better than most mid-fi headphones due to the fast decay and zero grain. 

Since I can't find a new HF-2, what is your opinion on the PS500 as an alternative? I'm thinking of making the 2nd pair portable with an E17.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 7
They are basically the same headphone. I've seen comparisions where people point out a slight difference, but it's usually minimal enough to be attributed to the variances in the wood used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back