Looking for a pair of cans around $600-700
Oct 25, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #16 of 24
Just wanted to chip in to say that I owned a pair of T1s for quite some time - if you're a bit of a treble-head, I don't think you can go wrong really: the level of treble detail, and actually detail across the spectrum, is impressive, as well as its imaging and resolution. It's still one of my favourite headphones in fact, just that personally I find the treble a bit too hot too handle. As Youth said, I'd add the HD800 to your short-list (although it might be a bit over-budget unless you get used or find a great deal online) - announcement of the HD800S is interesting. The second generation of the T1 has arrived too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776332/new-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation. As well as adding a detachable cable, which is a fundamental improvement IMO, Beyer are claiming this new generation smooths out the top end somewhat, as that did seem to be the main complaint with the original T1 - people go to great lengths to try and 'tame the treble' with all kinds of DAC/amp combos (particularly tube amps) and mods, when perhaps they would just be better off with another headphone!

I was also pretty impressed with Audeze's EL-8 OB when demoing it - smooth but detailed, relatively open-sounding (though not to the degree of the T1 or HD800) with a decent amount of slam - excellent build quality. I don't think it's quite in the same league as the LCD-X personally, but then it's considerably less expensive. Worth trying, if you can find it on demo anywhere.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 24
I just love the T1's sound stage and imaging.  So many of the sounds seem to be coming from outside of your head.  Not many headphones can compare, not one Audeze can compare in this regard (that's pretty much the opposite of the Audeze house sound).

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 24
Is the soundstage bad on the HE-560? I much value soundstage. It's the main reason I initially got the DT770, but after I recently listened to a pair of ATH-w1000x, I fell in love with its thick midrange. Even its soundstage impressed me. The overall signature isn't me, but the midrange is. If the soundstage of the HE-560 is underwhelming, this makes me hesitant to order it. But I really would prefer a more full midrange than the T1 offers, though I may be completely wrong. Basically, is the soundstage of the HE-560 good? 

Basically, what I want is a more lifelike/authentic experience that can bring a song/orchesta/voice to life. I think I may be regarding soundstage too highly for such an experience like that, though I may not be. I haven't heard enough headphones to come to a conclusion like that.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 24
  Is the soundstage bad on the HE-560? I much value soundstage. It's the main reason I initially got the DT770, but after I recently listened to a pair of ATH-w1000x, I fell in love with its thick midrange. Even its soundstage impressed me. The overall signature isn't me, but the midrange is. If the soundstage of the HE-560 is underwhelming, this makes me hesitant to order it. But I really would prefer a more full midrange than the T1 offers, though I may be completely wrong. Basically, is the soundstage of the HE-560 good? 

Basically, what I want is a more lifelike/authentic experience that can bring a song/orchesta/voice to life. I think I may be regarding soundstage too highly for such an experience like that, though I may not be. I haven't heard enough headphones to come to a conclusion like that.

The HE-560 has a great sound stage too, just not quite as good as that of the T1.  It's out of your budget, but I wager you'd like it too.  You may want to try the Focus-A pads for it, which makes it less bright according to those who have used them.

Also, give this a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5

People are saying those mods greatly enhance the sound stage, imaging, bass, treble, and clarity (transparency).  

Keep in mind the HE-560 is hard to drive/amp, as it only has 90 dB/mW sensitivity.  The T1 has much higher impedance, but also higher sensitivity so it's much easier to drive.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 24
I would wait for the new version of the T1 to come out. The available version is a bit too hot on top. Same with the hd-800, though that will be over your budget, and its very difficult to drive properly. The he-500 is great, but horribly built and is not comfortable at all. If soundstage is your thing, it's really hard to beat the T1 or the hd-800. The he-560 is a nightmare to drive properly, imo.

I'd say you should wait for the new T1 and go from there. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 24
  Do you feel the Schiit Magni 2 Uber will be sufficient to power such a headphone? I believe I am indeed going to be purchasing the HE-560

I don't think that's gonna cut it for the HE-560 but I might be wrong. I personally like HE-560 better than T1 and you can do grillmod to expand the soundstage also.

I would wait for the new version of the T1 to come out. The available version is a bit too hot on top. Same with the hd-800, though that will be over your budget, and its very difficult to drive properly. The he-500 is great, but horribly built and is not comfortable at all. If soundstage is your thing, it's really hard to beat the T1 or the hd-800. The he-560 is a nightmare to drive properly, imo.

I'd say you should wait for the new T1 and go from there. 

The new T1 is already out.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #24 of 24
The T1 Gen. 2 is over $1000, and the biggest difference seems to be the removable cable.  People who have tried both report extremely similar sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776332/new-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation

If the Magni 2 Uber or some other amp in this price range was all I was going to have for a while, then I wouldn't bother with the HE-560.  I'd get an affordable OTL tube amp like the Little Dot MK2, and the T1 gen 1 (I can't justify an extra $400 for a removable cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back