Looking for a pair of cans around $600-700
Oct 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all. 

I'm currently in the market for a pair of headphones for around $600-700 I've not really paid that much attention to the headphone scene since I got my DT770 Pro. My initial thought was to look into the HE-500, however those are off the market as of now.

I primarily listen to orchestral music (from all sources including video game OSTs), alternative rock, and synth pop.

Something neutral would be the way to go for me I think, but I really have no idea where to start looking anymore. What are the current offerings around that price range that have a relatively neutral sound and are open backed?

Thank

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 24
Awesome, a thread in this forum section with a budget that's more than $150.  
wink.gif

Do you have any sort of DAC/player or headphone amplifier?  Any headphone in that price range really needs one.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 24
I do indeed have one already, but it's not very powerful, and I have intentions to purchase an upgrade upon needing one. At the minimum, I plan to buy a Schiit Magni 2 with whatever headphone I end up purchasing. My current Amp/DAC is a FiiO E07k.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 24
I see.  You can get the HiFiMan HE-400i which is similar to the HE-500 (I've heard both), albeit it a slight step down especially for large ensembles.  The HE-400i is a tad warmer and has a smaller sound stage, and a less airy sound, but is still a great headphone.  This would leave you enough to get an amp as well, like the Magni 2 Uber.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 24
Hmm, the Beyerdynamic T1 can be found for right around the $700 mark, maybe less if you're okay with getting a used one.  This is a flagship and an incredible headphone.  I would get an OTL tube amp instead of the Magni 2 for it, like the Little Dot MK2 or one of the Garage1217 OTL tube amps.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 24
Hm.. that's certainly a possibility, but I've heard a good few things about the T1 that I'm not sure I would find desirable (build, treble heavy, thin midrange) however I am unsure as to how true all of the claims are. What about the Audeze EL-8 Open back? A friend of mine mentioned this headphone to me

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to share!

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 24
If you're sensitive to treble you should skip the T1. Apart from that it's a great headphone. Maybe slightly recessed mids depending on what headphones you're comming from.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a shop/meet and try some different headphones before making a decision. It's not that you won't get help here. It's just that it's hard what to make of peoples different recommendations unless you know they share the same taste as you. I hear many people say they have no problems with the treble on the T1 where as many others find the treble hot and sibilant. I'm a part of the last group of people. Another thing is what gear people have used when listening to the various headphones. It might have been a bad pairing that caused them to dislike the headphones that they otherwise would have loved. 

Having said that I would suggest you look into HD650/HD600 or HE-400i. All three can be modded for bigger soundstage for your information and the HD650/HD600 scale really well with gear.

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Yeah audition headphones is possible.  The T1 is mostly neutral, although the treble is more forward than you might want (ever so slightly forward I'd say).  An OTL tube amp with rolled off treble should alleviate this.  Build quality is phenomenal, it makes most other headphones feel like toys (including anything from HiFiMan and Sennheiser).  I wouldn't call the mids thin, they are quite full bodied, but they're not as thick as Audeze mids for example.  

What I love about it is its detail (one of the most detailed non-electrostatic headphones around), sound stage (wide and very deep, it makes most of the sounds seem like they're coming from outside your head, nothing else for under $1k can compare, the closest being the HE-560), and imaging (you can pinpoint sounds with amazing accuracy along its gigantic enveloping three dimensional sound stage).

The EL-8 is nice, although darker than neutral and lacking in sound stage space compared to something like the T1 or even HE-500. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 24
I've had closed EL-8 closed for a week now. all I can say is awesome. I got as a closed companion for my Senn HD600. I find myself liking it more than the HD600. Something I thought I would never say. I would assume the open is just as good. Reviews  are calling it maybe the best HP under $1000 I can hear why. Worth a listen.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 24
  I've had closed EL-8 closed for a week now. all I can say is awesome. I got as a closed companion for my Senn HD600. I find myself liking it more than the HD600. Something I thought I would never say. I would assume the open is just as good. Reviews  are calling it maybe the best HP under $1000 I can hear why. Worth a listen.

They forget the LCD-2 can be found for under $1000 new.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 24

They forget the LCD-2 can be found for under $1000 new.

Yes but not widely and they list for well over $1000 mark. And way over his budget even on sale.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 24
Yeah audition headphones is possible.  The T1 is mostly neutral, although the treble is more forward than you might want (ever so slightly forward I'd say).  An OTL tube amp with rolled off treble should alleviate this.  Build quality is phenomenal, it makes most other headphones feel like toys (including anything from HiFiMan and Sennheiser).  I wouldn't call the mids thin, they are quite full bodied, but they're not as thick as Audeze mids for example.  

What I love about it is its detail (one of the most detailed non-electrostatic headphones around), sound stage (wide and very deep, it makes most of the sounds seem like they're coming from outside your head, nothing else for under $1k can compare, the closest being the HE-560), and imaging (you can pinpoint sounds with amazing accuracy along its gigantic enveloping three dimensional sound stage).

The EL-8 is nice, although darker than neutral and lacking in sound stage space compared to something like the T1 or even HE-500. 

You are quite making me consider the T1. I am indeed a fan of treble. One of my biggest complaints about my DT770 is that its lower treble is a bit dull for my liking. Looking at the T1's frequency chart, I can say that it appears the T1 fixes this issue.

Sadly, headphone auditions are not available to me. However, the T1 was actually considered my "dream headphone" by myself a few years ago.

$750 is a bit over my budget, but... My budget wasn't set in stone. So, I think I may end up getting a T1. The only downside is that it's not a planar magnetic.

My final choice has not been made, as of yet, but I am leaning towards the T1.

Another option for me would to get the T1 and get an HE-400/400i later down the line anyway.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 24
I used the Sonic make a offer from this site and got the EL-8 for $550 shipped just to let you know.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 24
Sounds like T1, HE-560 or HD800 might be to your liking. HD800S has just been announced so either the price on the HD800 is gonna drop or you can get a used one for cheap.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back