Looking for a NewB Setup.
Apr 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 34
if u want to get the 5.5 ipod instead, you can rockbox it to play flac/etc... =]

otherwie, a classic is good too i guess =D

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #17 of 34
Is Apple Lossless difficult or does it need any requirements? I have Vista right now. If FLAC can be done easier with VISTA or XP then I'll swing that way. I also have that link that shows how to rip music and what not.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #18 of 34
I have an 80 gig iPod Classic and I'm very happy with the SQ. My girlfriend has a 5.5 generation ipod video. After comparing the some of the same Dave Matthews and Donald Fagen tracks (all ripped at 320), I have to say I perfer the sound of the Classic by a few notches. Seems a bit fuller and more detailed to my ears when using Etymotic ER-4P IEM's. Strangely, she prefers the sound of hers precisely for the opposite reason. What I call "crisp and detailed" she calls "too sharp."

I like the Classic even more now through the Total Airhead amp that I got a few days ago.

BTW, I chose the 80 over the 160 because I've read a few posts, both here and elsewhere, that the 160's now and then will skip. Something to do with the memory buffer/cache to HD size ratio some folks say. Can't say from personal experience though, so I may be totally wrong on this.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTockMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I chose the 80 over the 160 because I've read a few posts, both here and elsewhere, that the 160's now and then will skip. Something to do with the memory buffer/cache to HD size ratio some folks say. Can't say from personal experience though, so I may be totally wrong on this.

Thank you. Exactly what I needed to here. I'll play it safe and get the 80GB. Either way, my wife has a 30GB iPod and it holds a lot.

Oh, one more thing guys and gals. FLAC and Apple Lossless. How can you tell if it's either or? I followed some instructions usind CDex and it worked, but how can I tell if it's Apple Lossless or FLAC?

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 34
You're welcome. I think you'll be happy with it!
I use mine almost constantly.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spank you! I'm very glad I found this place and everyone has been nothing but nice and informative.

eek.gif

Those aren't sexy...They're SEXAY!!!!

Incredible. Very pleasing to look at. I love them. Oh man. Now I'm deciding to get the ones I mentioned for home and these for showing off. I might take these to work. I will have to keep a 3rd eye on the look out though. I'm sure others will envy them.

But other than that, thanks for the recommendation. I will really look into these.

no problem friend!
i hope you are going to be satisfied with whatever you get. and don't forget to let us know what you got, and show pics!
tongue.gif

May 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 34
I need some help. I just bought the iPod Classic 80gb. What I noticed is that the last 3 numbers of the serial is YMV. If I'm correct, then that would mean that it's not a 5th gen iPod? Should I take it back? Will I be able to play lossless or have a good sound?

May 11, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 34
the fifth generation ipod was the ipod video, the classic is the 6th generation. If you are using itunes you will be able to use apple loseless when importing your cds into itunes, just change your preferences to import using apple loseless instead of the default acc.

May 11, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #24 of 34
Cool.

Question. When the CD is playing on iTunes, I've already selected Apple Lossless. So, it's a matter of right clicking on the songs and converting them to lossless and then sync? If so, Nine Inch Nails sounds pretty damn good right now. Both Year Zero and Ghosts.

Oh, right now I only have the Koss KEB24g unamped. They have some bass. I'm liking the sound so far. You know, I tried the Beyer 770 Pro 80 at Guitar Center and they sounded pretty great. But I think that I'm really used to earbuds now. Is that bad? If so...

I'm looking for some earbuds in the $100 - $200 range.

Wow this ever changing hobby.

wink.gif

May 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 34
when you put a cd into the computer a message should have popped up and asked you if you want to import the cd, if you never changed the settings over to losless before you ripped the cd, then right clicked and converted to lossless, you might have accidentally just converted an acc file to an apple lossless file. If that is the case, it will still sound like an acc, just a larger file size. You gotta make sure the cd was in fact ripped into your library using apple lossless. You might be all set, im not quite sure

May 11, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 34
When I check the info, it says M4A or something like that.

May 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 34
well, it might in fact be a lossless file, but if you convert an already poor quality rip into apple lossless, it will still sound poor.

now that itunes is set up to default to lossless, you can re-add your cds in lossless. It sounds like maybe when you initially added them, you were set up to add them in acc.

You will only use the right click-convert to apple lossless option if there are wav files in your library. Wav is lossless so when it is converted to apple lossless, it is just making smaller files, but keeping them lossless.

Oh boy i think i just really confused you, sorry. Hopefully someone will jump in and help clear this up for you

May 11, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 34
Naw, I understood. I'll go ahead a re-do the cds. I was just wondering about the process. Thanks for the help though. I would've been doing it the wrong way if you didn't mention it.

Now I'm just in the market for some buds. Which are the ones that everyone get custom fitted and have different colors and what not? Oh, and I was about to pull the trigger on either the Tomahawk or iBasso today. I just didn't know which one would be the better option. I know that the Tomahawk is about $100+ more though.

May 11, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 34
no problem, i bet you will hear a big improvement now that your music is truly in apple lossless.

in terms of custom fit iems, the major companies are livewires, freqs, and ultimate ears. The livewires and freqs are very reasonable prices and expect to pay like $1000 for some UEs.

I currently use an ibasso p2 out of my ipod video and love it, i have never herd a tomahawk so i cant tell you if its worth the extra $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back