Looking for a NewB Setup.
Apr 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

deeplove

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there guys. 1st timer here and love it. I've been reading and I've been absorbing as much as I can from all the great information in here. I love music and I really LOVE portable music. Music on the go is about the best you can get. Especially if you're on the road or traveling as much. But enough of me.

I'm looking for a decent and inexpensive setup. I'm trying to get the best out of the least. I was looking into getting a Cowon D2 or iPod with video. I want to get either the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Audio-Technica ATH-A700, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 or a Grado 60 or 60.

I'm trying to get as much quality as I can from the mp3 player. Might need an amp? I'll go for one if the price is right. I don't want to throw out figures but all I can say is that I want the mp3 player that I mentioned or the cans I mentioned. Hopefully the amp is in the price range. But really...

Portable is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks in advance and I'm also very happy and glad that I found this place.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 34
hmm, well what i may suggest.
the alesandro MS1s (they are modified grados) $99 inc shipping
and if u want an amp, a pa2v2. i don't know the price, but they seem good. or you can build on your self. i don't see the need for an amp with those headphones, the impudence is quite low.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 34
congrats on the first post. welcome to head-fi, and sorry for your wallet.
wink.gif
if your going to start out first without an amp, which with the cans you've listed is a perfectly suitable option, my vote for best "unamped" sound quality would be the grados, try to get the sr80s if you can squeeze it, i much prefer them to the sr60. they also benefit quite nicely from a small amp if you decide to go that route down the line. if you wanted a more closed can, the dt770s would be an ok choice too, they are a pretty "fun" headphone to listen to for all types of music as well, although id say they are a little more hungry for an amp than the grados would be. i havent tried the AT's so i cant really suggest for or against them. best of luck

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 34
Thanks guys. I'm waiting for the Income Tax check...

wink.gif

After all the reading and going through those posts, I'll most likely go with the Grados for a "Un-Amped" setup. I also wanted to get either the Audio Technica or Beyerdynamic for gaming. Even though I heard and read about the Beyerdynamic cans being BASS WORTHY.

But, yes...I'm going for SQ in the Portable department.

I like the looks of that Cowon. And being able to use SD cards is a BIG plus since I have a couple of big cards. From what I've seen, it looks like it have a good sized LCD and hopefully good SQ. My wife has a 80gb iPod and I like it, but I want something different.

Grados to the 2nd power. So I guess they've modded them or something. I wouldn't know. How much better are those alesandro MS1s to the original? If anything, would the SR60 or SR80 be enough for some nice SQ and detail?

Also, CMoy;Pimenta and such. They're pretty confusing. Which company or person that makes these is still out there? A small amp for a good decent price that will give out some nice power and detail. Less than $200 can I say?

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 34
200 for whole set up? or jus the amp
for the set up may i suggest: the MS1 or grado.. they are brilliant BUT they leak soo much sound, and take all of it in. so if you are using public transport, or anything like that, it would be impossible.
what i suggest is that you first get the headphones, and then use them for a long time (you might want to burn in). then see if it really is worth it to upgrade, or do you like it.
also what mp3 player is it. if its in ipod, then you can use a LOD with an amp, and that should be better. but, before you get an amp, or even a good pair of headphones, get LOSSLESS music. the difference is soo much its ridiculous.

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 34
gautam, you know...

Cowon D2. Don't know if it will do lossless music, but $200 or less for an amp. But, I do see and understand where you say that I should go AMP LESS before anything.

I'm sure that I'll go with Grado for the portable. The others I mentioned are for my gaming sessions. 360. COD4 owns me. But, I was reading on the Grados and the SR80's are $90 something on B&H. I usually buy from them because of my photography hobby. I'm also starting that.

Money to burn... Not!!!

wink.gif

But a nice Cognac, music and dim lights...I'm sure you can't top that with beer, stereo system and 360.

Or can you.

rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 34
Sorry to bump this but I'm wondering something. Hopefully I'll be getting my money tomorrow or the weekend. I'm going to go for the iPod but I want to know if there's a difference from the iPod Video and the Classic. 80GB or 160GB. I'm leaning towards the 80GB. Will I see a difference in SQ between the Video and Classic? I'll be getting an amp and LOD. Might as well treat myself to a early B-Day present.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 34
I've heard that the iPod Video (5 gen, 5.5 gen) have better DAC and better sound quality compared to the iPod Classic. I've only owned a 5 gen iPod and an iPod Touch, they sound pretty similar because they have the same DAC, so I can't comment on the iPod Classic's sound quality for sure.

BTW what amp and LOD are you thinking about getting? I want to buy one soon as well.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 34
Well, if I want to save some bucks then I'll probably look to the DIY section for a n LOD. As for the amp, then I might turn to the CMoy to start things off cheap. But I'm really trying my best to make myself buy an ALO LOD and a Corda 2 Move, iBasso D1 or Tomahawk. I'm sure they're pretty decent for the price.

So if the iPod Video is better then I'll be going for it. Right now I'm playing my wife's 80GB (Beethoven) with some JVC headphones and it sounds pretty clear. I don't hear any hissing or noise at all. Mind you that the headphones are pretty cheap, but I'm sure that with either the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 or Grado 80 and an amp, it will sound much better.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 34
I'd find someone with an iPod Classic and compare the sound with the iPod Video yourself as well. Some people like the Classic sound better than the Video's.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 34
I have both Classic (80 gig) and Video (30 gig), and I can honestly say that there is not that much difference in SQ to my ears (prefer Classic SQ a tad bit). It is the other features like significantly longer battery life, cover flow, and capacity to name a few, that makes me prefer the Classic over the Video.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 34
Yeah, I'm sticking with the 80GB Classic. One thing though, for about $100 the 160GB looks a bit better to me. But either way, I'll be getting the 80GB Classic and headphones. Once I burn in the cans, then I'll test it out and order my amp.

HOLES in POCKETS...PRICELESS!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 34
hey, welcome to head-fi!
biggrin.gif

how about the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7? they are much more portable(and very sexy) than the other contenders and they are supposed to have a very good sound quality. look them up in the search function
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, welcome to head-fi!
biggrin.gif

Spank you! I'm very glad I found this place and everyone has been nothing but nice and informative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7?
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Those aren't sexy...They're SEXAY!!!!

Incredible. Very pleasing to look at. I love them. Oh man. Now I'm deciding to get the ones I mentioned for home and these for showing off. I might take these to work. I will have to keep a 3rd eye on the look out though. I'm sure others will envy them.

But other than that, thanks for the recommendation. I will really look into these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back