looking for a new portable. suggestions?
Jan 30, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'll bump my topic up.
What is available in the line of mp3 players with line-out? One that will allow me to directly connect a portable amp to it. Can the H120 do this, or is that only digital line-out?

How's the line-out on the zen vision m?

the iriver h120 and h140 have a combination line-out optical-out. if i were you i'd snap one up while they are still available. the latest version of rockbox is stable on my h140. the h140 is about the size of a deck of cards, and you can use the remote and the line out at the same time, which is ideal for using an amp.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the iriver h120 and h140 have a combination line-out optical-out. if i were you i'd snap one up while they are still available. the latest version of rockbox is stable on my h140. the h140 is about the size of a deck of cards, and you can use the remote and the line out at the same time, which is ideal for using an amp.

Maybe I will just go with the h120. How exactly does the line-out work?
I'd prefer an h140, but the price difference is pretty big, and I can't find any.

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I will just go with the h120. How exactly does the line-out work?
I'd prefer an h140, but the price difference is pretty big, and I can't find any.

if you have rockbox, there is a setting for optical or analog out. you just plug in your mini/mini cable, or toslink, selected analog or digital out, and go. with default iriver software, i think the optical & analog are running concurrently.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #19 of 24
I think I might be leaning over towards the Gigabeat F40. It can use rockbox, and is available for about $100. My chance at the H120 was lost. Line-out isn't really necessary for me at this time anyways. However, the gigabeat cradle does have a line-out.
*edit*
It's either the F40 for about $115 (not guaranteed), or a new creative zvm for $145 (guaranteed)
Which should I choose?

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have rockbox, there is a setting for optical or analog out. you just plug in your mini/mini cable, or toslink, selected analog or digital out, and go. with default iriver software, i think the optical & analog are running concurrently.

There is a setting for optical and analog with the default iriver software to.

I just have to say the SQ is really great without an amp if you don't turn up the volume very much, so if you listen at high listening volumes then get an amp for it. And yes there is a little hiss, but it's ONLY noticeble with IEM.

I have never heard a DAP with better sound, never listened to Creative ZVM though.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 24
Are there any good and easy battery upgrades for the H140?
tbh my ideal would be a H140 with at least 60GB, rockbox, and a battery that makes it last for 20+hrs. Is that possible, easy and cheap?

I would happily dump my M3 for that and not even give the ipod a second thought as an upgrade.

Feb 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good and easy battery upgrades for the H140?
tbh my ideal would be a H140 with at least 60GB, rockbox, and a battery that makes it last for 20+hrs. Is that possible, easy and cheap?

I would happily dump my M3 for that and not even give the ipod a second thought as an upgrade.

There is, http://www.misticriver.net/ is a good source of information for iriver gear. The hdd upgrade literally is a 10 minute job.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 24
Thanks for the advice guys. I purchased the ZVM 30gb last night for $145 brand new. I also found a guide showing me how to open it up if I ever need to replace a hard drive or battery in a while from now.
It has a line-out available, so if I do upgrade to an amplifier, I can use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back